"Three on the Tree..."

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 12:49 am

Does anyone remember this transmission for old cars? Has anyone ever driven a car with this transmission?

For those confused, I am talking about cars where the "manual stick shift" was located on the steering column, where the automatic lever was located a few years back.

I was thinking back and remember driving one of these cars way back when. I learned to drive in a car with a standard transmission (floor mounted stick shift), so the steering column shift was not too hard to adapt to.

Tyler F

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:01 pm

Yep. Used to own and old belair (late 60's vintage) back in the day. Of course, it was an 'older' car even then, when I owned it. I much prefer my shifter on the floor. :D

Latisha Fry

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:31 pm

I remember someone's Citro?n 2CV having something like that. God knows how long it'd take me to figure that out: it took long enough for me to get used to driving an automatic after 25 years of nothing but a five-speed manual.

Sweet Blighty

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:23 pm

Learned to drive in a '63 Beetle with a 4 speed floor snifter, but the second car I owned was a POS '61 Belair with 3 on the column. I hated it, but it was cheap and I needed a ride. :shrug:

steve brewin

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 1:46 pm

Far too many of my cars fit that description...... But then, there was those that I REALLY liked too.... The 72 Challenger, 81 Chevy Luv. (not comfy for long rides, but, it would go pretty much anywhere....) The 84 Conquest I think was my fav..... Small, light, and only slightly under powered. :D Handled like it was on Rails. WAY too much fun. Heater was inadequate though. If it was below 0*F, you could see out the windshield, or, your feet could be warm, but, not both...... :D

e.Double

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:43 am

Hah! That sounds like the old VW's. My first new car was a '68 VW. It was fun....kind of like driving a roller skate. Someone once said if all the cars in the world were lined up end to end, someone in a Beetle would try and pass them. :D

Grace Francis

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:15 pm

Awesome! I can't recall why, but I remembered back to the early 70's when my brother delivered pizzas for a local joint and they used the old Ford Broncos (great in snow) and they all had "three on the tree."

Vometia, I was similarly raised on manual transmissions and when I got in the seat for the first time in my driver's ed class, I stepped on the brake (after backing out of the parking space) like it was a clutch. I was so embarrassed :blush:

Adriana Lenzo

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:26 pm

Fortunately I haven't managed to do that yet, but it's kinda surprising with that big fat pedal that automatics have. I still occasionally absent-minded wonder where the clutch pedal is. I've occasionally wondered how well I'd cope with a LHD manual: probably about as well as I'd manage one of these weird column-shifts, which is to say not very.
Cassie Boyle

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:10 pm

I never drove one but my pops did back in the day. I learned manual on a PT Crusier he had as a loaner from the dealership after repeated troubles with his car and demanded he be given something to drive while it was in for service for probably the fifth time in 2 months.

Every car I've owned has been a manual. 5 speed Mazda Protége, and it seems 6 speeds are now the norm as my 2008 Acura TSX (bought used, got totalled a year later), and my current 2013 Honda Accord both were/are 6 speeds. Even my brothers Chevy Cruze (2012 I think), is a 6 speed. Slow as molasses though.
Adam

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 4:35 pm

I've had several column shift vehicles. Half-ton trucks and vans from about 1960 through 1980 came standard with a 3-on-the-tree, and I had a couple of them. I had a 66 Ford Falcon and a 60s-vintage Chevy with these transmissions.

I also had a 1951 Dodge with a Gyromatic (fluid drive semi-automatic), with a column shift.

My brother-in-law had an old International 3/4 ton truck with a four-speed column shift, and I believe that Mercedes cars were also built with four-on-the-tree shift for several years.

maddison

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:13 pm

I remember my dad driving those.
CRuzIta LUVz grlz

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 2:30 pm

The Falcon was my college roomie's vehicle of choice. He had at least 2 (one was in an accident while he was "parking" with his girlfriend), possibly 3 :)

I forgot about the bigger trucks and vans. Good call on them :)

Since most of my cars have been of the "drive-til-they-die" variety, I appreciate manual transmissions for those times when the battery dies. Roll starting automatics just doesn't work! :lol:

..xX Vin Xx..

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:08 am

It occurs to me that I've never attempted push-starting something with electronic ignition and other fancy computer control. I wonder if it would work?

That said, the main problem I used to have wasn't a flat battery but flooding the carburettor. Now that was annoying, seemed there was no cure except "come back in half an hour loser. lol." That's one contraption I don't miss.
Laura

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:01 pm

So long as there was enough power to run the sensors, and such, push starting would indeed work on the electronic cars. Really doesn't take much, and, once the engine actually starts, the alternator will supply needed power. (assuming that a dead alternator wasn't the problem to begin with. :D)

Emilie M

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 11:25 pm

I wonder if these "new cars" are even capable of that anymore. Everything is computerized.

Yes. Flooding is a problem :)

Anna Beattie

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:26 am

I was wondering if the ECU might take a while to boot up. I know that they should ideally be real-time, but a lot of software should ideally be what it isn't these days!

And, yeah, I've destroyed a couple of alternators. Turned out to be a blown head gasket. Not my fault, the car didn't have a rev counter, so how was I to know?
Liv Brown

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:59 pm

My current car has a push button switch for starting the car. I still have to place a little box shaped piece of plastic in a slot before the button will work.

To be honest I don't miss using a key.
Sakura Haruno

Post » Thu Jun 30, 2016 1:31 am

The push starting that vometia mentioned is starting a car with a dead battery by pushing or rolling it down the road, dropping it in gear and hoping the engine catches from being turned over by the drive-train. It was a pretty common event in the lives of some of us. :hehe:

Cathrine Jack

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 7:56 pm

Oh ok. I misunderstood. My comprehension of the English language still needs work!
Danii Brown

Post » Wed Jun 29, 2016 12:07 pm

So does mine, and it's my native language. :D

Today's cars NEED at least some residual battery power to even have a prayer of being able to push start, and you only have a small chance of that on manual transmission cars. None of the automatics will manage it. (not even the older ones....) Back in the day, I think there was only ONE model of auto trans that would allow push starting...... (GM powerglide??) It had fluid pumps at both ends, which none of today's cars have. And even then, it's a crap shoot. I know my Dodge truck (1996) gets REALLY funny if the battery is low, even if the alternator is putting out the amperage it should. :D

Bitter End

Return to Othor Games