Tomb of the Snow Prince - NOM Compatibility

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:50 pm

Hi All,

I'm currently putting together a fresh build of Morrowind with a few of the "latest and greatest" mods and some "can't do withouts". This topic is specific to the compatibility issues reported and observed with Tomb of the Snow Prince and NOM (a can't do without :) )

Tomb of the Snow Prince looks brilliant however as I'm sure those who use it and NOM are aware there are massive landscape and object conflicts with Fort Frostmoth (massive gaps in the landscape behind Frostmoth, the Mouldy Horker half buried, etc). I've looked everywhere and can't seem to find a compatibility patch anywhere, so maybe people have given up trying to use these together? Or maybe someone can point me in the direction of an actual patch?

I really don't want to do without one or the other, so while I'm not a modder I want to try and make these work together in my game. I've been tinkering around with the CS and Enchanted Editor and have found a solution that, while probably not ideal, with my limited experience is the best I can do. Unfortunately it involves modifying the NOM 3.0.esp (ideally it should be a separate patch esp, but I just don't know the best way to do this), which obviously would require approval from Taddeus before any sort of release is possible.

What I'd like to do is explain what I've done, and get some advice or assistance from some of the more experienced modders and hopefully get something released for everyone to use.

So here goes:

- the first thing I've found is that if I remove two landscape cells in NOM 3.0.esp (specifically -22, 16 and -22, 17), it looks like all the massive landscape gaps and tears are gone, while the Mouldy Horker and friends still exist. I did this with Enchanted Editor as I couldn't work out how to do this in the CS, and is also the reason I haven't been able to make a separate patch esp.

- the second part basically consists of removing all the conflicting objects such as trees and rocks that get in the way of the Mouldy Horker, with a bit of landscape smoothing to unblock the door and uncover the well. I also had to remove a cliff behind the new docks from Tomb of the Snow Prince but it doesn't look too out of place, and might be avoidable with a bit of re-positioning of the Mouldy Horker. I believe this could all be done in a patch esp, however with the removing of the cells in the NOM 3.0.esp there didn't seem like much point creating a new file when I had already edited the NOM file itself.

Once I did this everything seem to work well and nothing looked too out of place, so I'm relatively happy with how it turned out. No doubt how I've gone about it is probably wrong but as I say, with my limited knowledge it's the best I can do on my own.

I'd really like to be able to make this available for use, but would much prefer to have done this as a separate patch to keep things clean and tidy. It would be great if a "real" modder could comment on the above and maybe even take a look at my modification to not only check if the mod is clean but also to see if there's a way this can be done without touching the NOM 3.0.esp.

I'm off to work now but will keep an eye on this thread and respond to any feedback as soon as i can. Have a great day :)

Cheers,

straub666

Lakyn Ellery

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:25 am

Cool, I only use one of these mods (NOM), but it's nice to see a patch anyway.

neen

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:27 am

@straub666: personally, I have a bunch of SolstheimOverhaulIzed mods

Spoiler
NOM3 SO.esp
abotWlArrowSlitExt.esp
Hirstaang Mill SO.esp
JMK - Ayleid Remnants SO.esp
Mills of Morrowind - SO.esp
MW_family1_0 SO.esp
Neverhalls + Forgotten Halls SO.esp
Sentinel+SerendipityTraveler SO.esp
Solstheim_mage_tower SO.esp
Thirsk Expanded Family SO.esp
WonderWind_SO.esp

patched as you did, changing the original usually works.
I don't think separate patches would always work as SO is a strange beast, a .esp disguised as .esm that manages moving references of its Beth masters
lucile davignon

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 1:29 am

Thanks abot, I'm a huge fan of your work and really appreciate your reply :)

I don't suppose you've been able to release your NOM patch publicly? I'd trust your work over mine any day......

Alternatively if I PM you a link would you mind running your eye over mine to make sure I haven't majorly stuffed anything up?

Cheers and have a great weekend,

straub666

Gavin Roberts

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:50 pm

Thanks for the support wollibeebee :)

Matt Bigelow

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:31 pm

Uhm, sorry, I think none of them personal patches can be publicly released mostly as they are based on a slightly changed wl_SolstheimOverhaul_v1.1.esm (I don't remember exactly what I changed as I don't track personal changes, mostly tes3cmd cleaning I think).
Lewis Morel

Post » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:33 pm

Shameless self promotion, but if anyones looking for a more hardcoe NOM, I made a few tweaks a while back and put it on the nexus -

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44465/?

Shannon Marie Jones

Post » Fri Oct 14, 2016 12:50 am

Hi All,

Just a quick note to let you know that with the blessing of wollibeebee and the kind permission of Taddeus I have released this to the Nexus: http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/44574/?

Cheers,

straub666

(PS my Nexus is drav666en)

Eibe Novy

Return to III - Morrowind