Unreadble disc error message. Disc or Game bug?

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:53 pm

Hi, I'm now on my second copy of the Game on the 360. First one played fine for an hour or so, then i kept getting 'The disc is unreadable' messages come up. Took the disc back and exchanged it as it was a little scuffed looking when I got it. My new disc is flawless and played fine from Saturday till last night, when it suddenly decided it couldn't read the disc. The disc is still flawless, not a scratch or scuff on it, I've cleaned the disc using a cleaner, cleaned the lens of the machine and still it says the disc is unreadable. The game loads, but whenever i try to load a save I get the unreadable disc error message. This morning I decided to try and start over with a new character and the disc seems to be reading just fine. I'm making a character now *. But none of my previous saves will load. Surely this suggests its not the disc thats at fault?

Like so many others I'm really at a loss with this game. I want to like it so bad and when I can get it to work, I really do, but when you cant let yourself get into the game world because you're constantly waiting for the latest crash or error message it's hard.

SO do you guys think its my disc thats at fault or is this a game problem. Ive tried all my other games in the machine and they all work fine so I'm not inclined to think its the console thats at fault. Next question is, do you think the patch will fix this? Ive seen threads about people having game save issues. i know this isn't the same issue but it does seem to be my saves that are the problem.

* *Edit* As soon as I was done making my new character and I left Doc Mitchells place (i.e when the game saves itself) I got the unreadable disc error. So it looks like i cant play the game at all now because none of my old saves will work and I cant start it again.
Sarah Evason

Post » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:36 am

Well, hopefully it's not your console. But, I kept getting disc is unreadable errors on particular games until my system finally went kaput from an out of warranty issue. I was getting disc read errors randomly occurring in the middle of a game session with a game that had been installed. Then I started getting them on downloaded games and demos. Then the system gradually became useless for every single thing I had. Obviously these weren't disc read issues but a crappy unit.

I hope this is not the case for you.
Taylah Haines

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:33 pm

If its a new copy (unused before you) sadly it sounds like your disc drives on its way out, i had similar experiences where at certain points in a game it would become unreadable, luckily i was under guarantee still, best to install to HDD if you have one with 5gb space till your issue can be resolved, it will speed up your loading times too.
Juan Suarez

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:50 pm

Loading to the HDD won't do you any good if the system can't even recognize the disc soon. Which will happen in about a week. Stupid beltdriven disc drive.
Sylvia Luciani

Post » Thu Oct 07, 2010 4:37 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I do wonder though, If its my disc drive on the way out, how come it doesn't do this with any of my other games? this is the one and only disc ive ever had this problem with. I'm playing Fallout 3 at the moment and its working just fine. Also i have a console i bought around a year after the 360 first came out so no option to install to HDD for me. :(

Are the disc drives expensive to get replaced?
Ruben Bernal

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:43 pm

My xbox run's all my games perfectly fine, except for F:NV, i get the dirty disc error (im on my 2nd disc too) and both time's it was pure luck i actually managed to leave Doc Mitchell's house or even the goodsprings area, if it work's fine for all your other game's like mine then i really doubt it's a fault with the xbox itself.

Different people are experiencing different problem's.
Baylea Isaacs

Post » Thu Oct 07, 2010 5:17 am

Thanks for the replies guys. I appreciate it. I do wonder though, If its my disc drive on the way out, how come it doesn't do this with any of my other games? this is the one and only disc ive ever had this problem with. I'm playing Fallout 3 at the moment and its working just fine. Also i have a console i bought around a year after the 360 first came out so no option to install to HDD for me. :(

My problems were confined to COD4 and Halo 3 where at a certain point in campaign and a multiplayer map would produce a disc read error, it also happened with a replacement for COD4 on the same map so the disc was ruled out as the fault, i have no tech knowledge of drives but maybe the process of the laser moving from a certain point to another point on the disc is causing problems for the drive.

You have the option to add up to 250gb of HDD though on your long lived xbox, anyway replacement Drive from Microsoft Repair £60 / US $97
Self Install Drives can be imported from China at £8 / US $13. This option will void warranty, but is simple to do and you can find handy video guides online.
Ricky Meehan

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:46 pm

The download to hard drive update should already be installed on most recent games,my xbox is an old boy too,i was so skint at the time i bought a second hand one about 3 year ago (waiting for it to burn out so i got exuse for buyin the new one now),think i was playin splinter cell conviction when it updated mine,not sure if it'll upload it if connected with xbox live though if not it blasted well should! surely you would get a better deal and less headache if you bought a new xbox (even if second hand) than replacing the disc drive.
Chrissie Pillinger

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:19 pm

I found that Installing the game to my hard drive caused this error to occur...

After about an hour or 2 it starts coming up as unreadable, then I uninstalled it and it worked fine!

Might be your problem if its installed onto your harddrive
Monique Cameron

Post » Wed Oct 06, 2010 4:46 pm

Ok, so as an experiment I borrowed a friends Xbox yesterday and tried the game out on that. Created a new game, new character, no problems getting out of, or back into, Doc Mitchells house (which was the first glitch I noticed with my original copy of NV) Game played absolutely fine (apart from the odd weapon and arms going to the top of the screen glitch) for a good four hours - then suddenly the disc was unreadable again, and no previous saves would work. Same problem as before but this is on a different console

I honestly dont think its my console thats the problem here, nor the disc itself, because theres not a scratch or scuff or anything on it. And it will read just fine if i want to start a new character, its just it says its unreadable as soon as i go to leave the Docs place or try any of my old saves. I borrowed some other games from my friend as well to see if my Console would fail to read them but no, its just this one game.

Baffled by this and pretty disappointed as like everyone here probably, I've been looking forward to this game for a long time. Im puting the game away now until the patch comes out and hopefully that will make it playable on my system. If not, then i guess i wont get to play the game until i get a new console eventually. I may try getting the disc replaced again but i dont think thats going to help quite honestly.
Becky Cox

Return to Fallout: New Vegas