Update on New Forums

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:53 pm

If we can upload pictures without hosting, can an option be put in to enable/disable downloading of images? I have a monthly cap on my mobile data plan, and I'm going to exceed that cap quickly if I have to download hundreds of high-res images every time I refresh a page.
JD FROM HELL

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:58 pm

Can′t look at the pictures. Won′t work for me for whatever reason.

Claire Vaux

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:14 am

The other forum does let you upload large images, but it only shows a large thumbnail image that you have to click to view full size.

I sure hope this is allowed again.

Kat Lehmann

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:59 pm

I'm shocked to get an answer tbh. What you have shown looks a LOT better.

Now a dark color for old eyes please.

Thank you for responding to me.
jaideep singh

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:00 pm

Actually, everyone does have access to a post called "moderation tools," but if you aren't a moderator you only see general options like bookmarking.

The forums will not have multiple themes or a light/dark toggle like Bethesda.net has. We'd like to provide more options in the future.

There is a lot of empty space if you have a short post. It's less of a problem with larger posts. We may be able to tighten this up later.

Yes, in fact you can only upload pics, you can't link elsewhere as a security measure.

This is something we can look at for the future.

I know you don't want to go over there, https://community.bethesda.net/message/314165#314165

We're happy to be talking about it! Now that this is public, it's much easier for us to discuss what's going on.

Sunny Under

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:19 pm

So we can't post links to YouTube stories and gameplay? Dang, that's 90% of the links posted and they are kind of needed for reference in many discussions.

Kelly James

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks for the link, mr Donner. It does look much better I admit.

Maybe one year from now when things are sorted out a bit I may go and have another look. Who knows? Mebbe I′ll reconsider then... :P

darnell waddington

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:20 pm

There should be a [youtube] [/youtube] direct link, people love those.

Haley Cooper

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:25 pm

Seriously I think I've posted at least five YouTube links in the last day between the two current forums for those asking where to find this or that.

Ron

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 4:08 pm

No dark theme like we have here? That's a blow, I won't be able to use the new forum until it's implemented. Too hard on the eyes.

Damn.
butterfly

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:38 pm

And I won't be able to spam the music threads - which won't exist anyway. Bummer.
Holli Dillon

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:30 pm

I will likely have issues as well, since the light theme is hard on the eyes. It is one of the reasons I do not like bethesda.net 1.0.

Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 11:49 pm

+1 for a darker theme like this one, it's more pleasant to my eyes

+1 for pictures and youtube links, they are necessary especially for mods examples

+1 for allow people to use a space in the username. I guess with new software this limitation is gone?

What about animated gifs as avatars, is that possible?

I would like to know if the new forum format allows to see which users are currently reading a thread / a forum section, I like this feature here, it's like entering a public hall and knowing you're not alone.

If the "LIKE" button is implemented, do you have the option to display every user who liked every post? Like Facebook, on mouse over for instance. Or like Rpgg Codex, permanently displayed.

What about word censoring, is it as merciless as on the old forums? I think it went too far censoring reasonable, lore friendly words.

What about post count, join date and custom titles, will they return?

What about the smiley gallery, will there be one? If yes, will it be the same we have here or new?

Thanks for reading.

Georgia Fullalove

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:20 pm

To be honest, I'd rather be able to post links than pictures. I link gaming news stories all the time, I very seldom want to upload a picture. I suppose everyone can just post the web address for copy/paste, but that's not attractive. :(

So so far we have a board that won't have any sort of read/unread function that will keep track of where you are in a thread. No posting of links and no options for a dark theme. In all honesty, I'm beginning to wonder exactly how the new forums will actually be better than the current Beth.net forums which, while crappy, have all of these things (at least after a fashion).

GabiiE Liiziiouz

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:27 pm

Can we have images in our signature?

Vahpie

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:03 pm

NodeBB is very flexible, and very easy to develop for. Give us a few months and I think you'll be impressed with how far its come, even if it still has room for improvement.

Speaking about this more generally, we are very interested in people's suggestions on what additions to pursue, and to discuss them. Just to set expectations: we can't guarantee that something will be added later, or provide a timeframe.

Linking to videos is fine, you just can't embed them.

While we'll only have black text on a white background for launch, that doesn't mean we can't add something later. The Light/Dark toggle on these forums was actually custom-build before launch because we knew many people prefer light text on a dark background.

Username rules are part of the Bethesda.net account system, not the forum software.

I'm not sure if animates gifs can be used as avatars.

You can't see who is reading a thread or forum.

There is a "like" option, although the reputation it's tied to is disabled so it doesn't do anything. You can't see who has liked a post.

There is an auto-censor. Whether it's liberal or conservative is a matter of opinion. When the Bethesda.net forums first launched the filter was an absolute terror, this one isn't.

Join date and post count are not displayed on posts, but are available on someone's profile. Join date reflects when you first access the forums, rather than when you created your Bethesda.net account. Custom titles aren't currently an option, although they've never been something available to normal members.

No smilies at launch. But it is default NodeBB functionality.

Edit: There's a large pool of smilies, I'm just blind.

No, we specifically do not allow images or other media in signatures. This has actually been the rules since the forums opened in 2000, barring a few hours when changing forum software a long while back.

NodeBB is very flexible, and very easy to develop for. Give us a few months and I think you'll be impressed with how far its come, even if it still has room for improvement.

Richard

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:01 pm

Thanks for clarifying that. That's wonderful.
WTW

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:12 pm

Good, I like the sound of all that. And thanks for the reassurance on the other thread about keeping this place open in the meantime.

Naomi Ward

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:37 pm

Just a friendly reminder: the dark/light toggle was just as broken as the rest of the forum, please test your themes next time to make sure all text is readable.

And one more question. :) Is the language problem gone in the new forum or will we keep seeing a mix of English and our local languages?

Chris Johnston

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:51 am

Well I'm logged into the new forum. So far so good.

Not sure I like how 'quotes' look, and I can't seem to get my avatar edited, but it works.

Angela Woods

Post » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:37 am

New forums are now live: https://beta-community.bethesda.net/

naome duncan

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:49 pm

The bright white hurts my eyes. :nope: Maybe tone it down.. ?

also: that toggle did not work.

@uploading.. Would be nice but truly I don't care..

Laura Tempel

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:24 pm

i was able to read the rules but not more than that.. The soft blue on white was OK for my eyes to read.

Was I supposed to be able to log in there?

Edit: what cookie do I need to allow? Is bethesda.net enough or community.bethesda.net ?

Elena Alina

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:20 pm

We have official threads open for collecting feedback. While these are the primary place we'll be tracking for feedback, suggestions, and bugs, we will continue to keep an eye on the discussion on gamesas as well.

https://beta-community.bethesda.net/topic/423/forum-feedback-thread

https://beta-community.bethesda.net/topic/422/mobile-experience-feedback

You should be able to use your Bethesda.net account to log into those forums. If you're having difficulty https://account.bethesda.net/en/login. Let us know if you have to use that instead.

Code Affinity

Post » Sat Oct 29, 2016 3:56 pm

I see only blank white page.

I have allowed community.bethesda.net and account.bethesda.net are there more? Added bethesda.net.. still no joy.

edit:

Firefox 47.0.1

Enie van Bied

PreviousNext

Return to Othor Games