C++: Using Windows & SendInput in Skyrim (SKSE crew?)

Post » Sun Jan 22, 2017 2:22 pm

I'm working on a custom voice command engine with a professional dev from another gaming community. The custom voice recognition software is based on windows speech api. It works perfect. Currently it detects a 'GO' command, which is customizable via the UI, default is "QUICK". When it detects the word quick it writes that phrase to a text file in the SVCE root folder. I'm writing the parser engine in papyrus. Currently after speaking a command into the mic, for example "equip imperial sword both hands quick", you hit a customizable key, and this causes the parser engine to dump the text file into a string, parse the command, and execute.

I had an idea last night while trying to fall asleep. The idea was that from this C++ app it might be possible to hook into Skyrim memory to flip a byte, or simulate a keypress. It turns out there are much easier ways to do this than hooking/injection like SendInput. I figured the SKSE team would know more than anyone else in the modding community about hooking and/or interfacing with the Skyrim memory. some games have explicit protections against such windows functionality to prevent hacking, but these games are mostly online games. Does Skyrim have such protections, and is it possible to use SendInput targetting Skyrim.exe to simulate a keypress in game? The idea is this would remove the player having to press a GO key after issuing a command.

What do you think?

Andy durkan

Return to V - Skyrim