visual mods similar to original morrowind

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 10:45 pm

i got my main morrowind texture files messed up and now even just the basic game with no mods is different visually. its not bad and was a good change of pace, but i miss the old textures from the basic game. im curious if theyre are any mods that enhance the visual style but look very similar to the old textures.

i just dont like the ground looking dark and having leaves all in it when im in a swamp, and the inside of redoran hall looking like crazy mosaics are everywhere. some things that used to look like bonemold or mud now look like wood, and the books look weird.

is there a way to fix the textures at least if no mods are there, without uninstalling and all of that mess.
sorry ive never really messed with the texures myself, renamming music files yes but textures no. maby simplier then i think.

thanks in advance
Chase McAbee

Post » Wed May 16, 2012 1:01 am

Fastest and easiest way is a clean, separate install. Rename your current Bethesda Softworks folder to something like "gamesasTextBad", then re-install Morrowind, and place whatever textures you want into the new install.
Phillip Hamilton

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 12:53 pm

maby simplier then i think.

It is quite simple actually, if it bothers you so much that you'd rather have Vanilla, going into Textures folder and deleting all the texture files is all you have to do (if you don't have much (or at all) other mods. If you have a lots of mods then it can get problematic since I assume you don't know what texture does what and that you don't have any kits for viewing them.
Personally I suggest downloading everything by Connary from http://mw.modhistory.com/search, that's the best you'll find that's closest to vanilla for architecture and flora/ground texture. And it keeps the dark feeling of original game very well. On top of that I personally much prefer AnOldFriend's textures, so after I apply all that I want from Connary, I put http://morrowind.nexusmods.com/users/31611 on top. For weapons, armors and shields you can grab http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=User.EntriesListing&id=119915, they make mentioned things look a lot more high res.

Fastest and easiest way is a clean, separate install. Rename your current Bethesda Softworks folder to something like "gamesasTextBad", then re-install Morrowind, and place whatever textures you want into the new install.

Wtf, why would he do that? A whole new installation just because a couple of textures are not to his liking is overly radical for such a minor problem.
Hairul Hafis

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 7:25 pm

All of the default textures are neatly packaged up in a .bsa file. So, ALL of the textures you see in the textures folder are from mods and you can take them out without ruining your game. The only ones that come from bethesda that would be in your textures folder are from the official plugins like helm of tohan. So, you could really just delete the folder and go back to vanilla - reinstall the official plugins if you have them, but you don't have to reinstall the game.

As for recommending new textures that you will like, I think that's a matter of taste and people will probably have difficulty discerning that without knowing what textures you have that you like or don't like. There are sets of textures you can get from archives of connary's work, the visual pack, msgo, and others. Click my sig for links to those, but it sounds like you want more control over what textures you have rather than just getting a package, but you were cautious to start messing with your folders.

Hope this helps.... a little bit anyways.
Emma louise Wendelk

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 2:20 pm

ill deffinatly check into the different textures. i was looking to get the vanilla style back. i really only have some visual mods on the game. i may be a nut but i love vanilla morrowind. had gotten a downloaded morrowind GOTY edition but still use my cd to play and just transfer the folder from hardrive to hard drive instead of installing if that explains a bit. and it has vastly different textures. i figured if i was going to change the textures back i might as well see if there were any upgraded version that look more true to the vanilla version but still look better. i never got to much into the modding of morrowind as i didnt have internet until last two months. so i dont know what all the terms are.
Bones47

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 2:09 pm

ah getting rid of the texture folder in data files folder actually resolved the issue thanks.
though are theyre any visual mods that stick to the vanilla textures look?
Isabel Ruiz

Post » Tue May 15, 2012 6:33 pm

To the OP: Unfortunately, there isn't a mod that recreates the vanilla textures while still maintaining the vanilla look. That would've been perfect. The closest is the Visual Pack XT but still that mod changes the look completely in some areas. The only way to have the perfect HD vanilla look is to become a mod detective.

Here's a comparison texture site. Tho, is kind of vague but maybe it could be a start to your detective work:

http://www.etherealsoftware.com.au/textpacks/
Averielle Garcia

Return to III - Morrowind