Weapon/Armor Weight Silliness

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:29 am

If the units represented pounds, most items would certainly be vastly too heavy (I invite anyone who disagrees to swing a 60lb piece of metal around), but what matters to me is how the mechanic affects gameplay, and I like the way encumbrance works in Morrowind/Oblivion well enough.

Which isn't to say it can't be improved...
!beef

Post » Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Most 1h swords during the later crusades weighed about 2 to 4 pounds. Any more and a person would die of exhaustion.

a lot of people did die of exhaustion during the crusades, but I do not think we are talking about crusaders really shouldn't open up that can of worms

and also we cant really base this off of anything other than we know that iron is heavy in the TES games
Anna Beattie

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:32 am

I don't mind a sword weighing that many "units" but I do think it's weird that, as you gain access to stronger metals, they universally grow heavier. For example, an Ebony Cuirass as MUCH heavier than an Iron Cuirass... Why is this exactly? Based on the properties of those materials, I feel like if anything, Ebony would be LIGHTER than Iron, and that regardless, they'd be relatively similar in weight (maybe 10% difference in mass for items of equal volume).
Dalia

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:18 am

I view encumbrance as both weight and awkwardness to carry. Equipped armor should have a lower encumbrance than armor in the backpack. Think about it. When equipped, the weight is spread out, it moves with the body, etc. Lugging around a cuirass in your backpack is awkward; walking around with a cuirass equipped is unencumbering.

A halberd might not weigh a lot in poundage, but it isn't exactly as easy to transport across varied terrain (and staircases) as, say, a dagger.

@D4rk One: The "better stuff weighs more" phenomenon is restricted to TESIV. In TESIII, better quality light armor typically has reduced weight compared to the mid-range armor.
Steven Nicholson

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 1:20 am

Lets not put logic in the encumbrance system, unless you're satisfied with being able to wear one suit of armour, one sword, two potions and a Mars candy bar. And nothing more. :sadvaultboy:

Verily ha ha :D Whatever weight system is used as long its consistent will work just fine real world or not like it always has with plenty of ingame balance.
biiibi

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:01 am

I think we can all agree glass weapons were WAYYYY to heavy in Oblivion, It's freaking glass -.- + The armor should have been a bit lighter (and sixier) ala Morrowind
Pretty much what alaisiagae said
Marion Geneste

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:45 am

On the whole, a plausible encumbrance system is too much trouble. You'd have to assess weight, bulk and storage. Three elements not one. Weight is only part of it.
this is a valid point, however it doesn't address the weight scaling upwards with quality which I believe is a valid complaint.

I wouldn't be opposed to forget the hierarchy of materials altogether and say this material just has (vastly) different qualities than this one. for example glass is light(ish), holds an edge and is brittle. good for daggers, not for swords (which need to flex slightly so not to break). ebony is very heavy, doesn't (or does (devs choice)) hold an edge. good for hammers. etc.
leni

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim