Weapon Enchant Visual Effect

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:27 pm

What is meant by weapon enchants is whatever element is enchanted onto it would show what enchantment it is. For example enchanting a sword, enchanting the blade with fire would have flames flowing all around the blade as for frost there would be ice crystals swarming the blade.

I voted "Yes". I thought this would be really cool. That is something I thought was missing when I enchanted a weapon on Oblivion so I think this would make a good feature to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim.
What do you think?

EDIT:
I love what Proditus said in a post on this page
[...] As the enchantment wears off, the ice begins to melt, the hot metal begins to cool, and it looks like any other weapon.

I feel this would give the enchants a somewhat realistic effect. Also, it would give you a notice that you need to charge your weapon again without having to check it every once in a while.
Fanny Rouyé

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:10 am

who doesnt love a sword with a flame affect or blue glow :)
Claire Mclaughlin

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:03 pm

As long as they don't use that disgusting plastic wrap effect from Morrowind, I'm probably okay with it.
Steven Hardman

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:17 am

I'd be fine with something subtle, but well done, so I could also see what sort of enchantment my enemy has.
however, I would not be pleased with something like a giant flaming inferno spiraling around my dagger because it has a 1 pt on hit enchantment
maybe at higher levels...
brenden casey

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:20 pm

I could've sworn sword did glow and/or give off a minor effect when unsheathed in Oblivion, or was that a mod I was running?
Hayley O'Gara

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:02 am

As long as they don't use that disgusting plastic wrap effect from Morrowind, I'm probably okay with it.

I really hated that too, but I think it was an issue with the technology at the time. I like how it was done in Oblivion.
Tai Scott

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:50 pm

definitely.

i feel this is a staple of rpg's, to have a visual manifestation of an enchantment on items of any kind.
Red Bevinz

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:54 am

I voted no because it looked so crappy in prior games, but if done right, I could see it being cool. If anything, I would prefer it only be used for legendary type weapons.
Jason King

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:42 am

If I enchanted a sword with frost damage, I'd prefer a sword with a small lining of ice along the blade and an ever so subtle fog from the cold. If it's enchanted with fire, rather than it actually be on fire, it'd look like a sword that's been in the forge for a little while. The edge of the blade should be a little red and glow, and maybe a few molten cracks down the center to show that it's magical in nature. As the enchantment wears off, the ice begins to melt, the hot metal begins to cool, and it looks like any other weapon.
Myles

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:44 am

If I enchanted a sword with frost damage, I'd prefer a sword with a small lining of ice along the blade and an ever so subtle fog from the cold. If it's enchanted with fire, rather than it actually be on fire, it'd look like a sword that's been in the forge for a little while. The edge of the blade should be a little red and glow, and maybe a few molten cracks down the center to show that it's magical in nature. As the enchantment wears off, the ice begins to melt, the hot metal begins to cool, and it looks like any other weapon.

Completely agree!
A Dardzz

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:06 pm

Yeah...that was pretty bad.
It would be nice to have some cool visual effects, though. Actual fire enveloping a flame-enchanted weapon, a frosty chill from and icy blade, sparks coming from a lightning-enchanted hammer.
These would add a great visual touch to the game.
:)Colleenn

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:20 pm

This.

I hope it's subtle. I don't want a sword with a fire enchantment to literally be on fire nonstop, or a weapon with a lightning enchantment to have little lightning bolts shooting out everywhere.
Christie Mitchell

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:12 pm

I like it. But what about stuff that increases health, allows one to breath underwater, or multiple weapon enchantments?
Jordan Moreno

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:34 am

I would definitely love a greater detail to enchanted weapons. Instead of a enchanted fire sword that glows red, I actually want to see the flames animating on the sword. I loved True Flame in Tribunal and think it's a perfect example that Bethesda could easily pull this off.
chinadoll

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:51 am

That is a really good idea! I like it.

I like it. But what about stuff that increases health, allows one to breath underwater, or multiple weapon enchantments?

You can only enchant a weapon once, so multiple enchants wouldnt matter, and for the underwater, just put a blue outline on the weapon, same for soultrap, and red for health.
FoReVeR_Me_N

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:54 am

maybe you won't be able to enchant weapons with passive enchantments
Marcus Jordan

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:31 am

I could've sworn sword did glow and/or give off a minor effect when unsheathed in Oblivion, or was that a mod I was running?

It's not a mod. Enchanted weapons due glow different colors. The OP is just merely suggesting more of an emphasis on these different enchanted weapons, rather than just a glowing color.
Cccurly

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:12 pm

I'm in the minority of people who actually like the "plastic wrap effect" from MW. I think that it looked cool on armor and clothing that was enchanted.
Daniel Holgate

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:04 am

*thinks*

I don't know, but I've been thinking about other effects, and came up with these effects:
  • Burden: perhaps the weapon darkens a bit and loses a bit of its shine, appearing heavier?
  • Feather: oppositely, the weapons brightens a bit and becomes a bit shinier.
  • Water Breathing/Walking: a (yes, I realize I should shoot myself) plastic-y effect to make it appear "waterproof"?
  • Turn Undead: Flies swarming your sword, and a bit of rust, perhaps. I realize Turn Undead is holy and shizzazzle, but this is the effect I first thought of.
  • Poison: vines or something?
  • Weakness to, Shield, etc... Variations on the original elemental effects.
  • Paralyze: little pincers on the sword or something? Man, it's obvious I'm running out of ideas here. [censored].

Multiple effects could just have stacked visuals. (Fire and ice blade? HELL YEAH)
Brian LeHury

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:18 pm

It's okay with me, if they keep them subtle.

But i don't want DMC4-like effects.
Andy durkan

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:59 pm

This. If I may, I'd add that shock could be a faintly-crackling blue-hued electric mist, with tiny bright discharges here and there along the blade.

I'd rather any such effects were temporary, though; visible for a few seconds after set events (unsheathing, striking an object). Unless they were very subtle. I voted yes.
matt white

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:00 am

Look at "Visually Enchanted" and the complimentary associated mods on TES Nexus. I vote yes based on the fact that I use those, and it feels "right". Especially since the effect goes away when you run out of charges.
FoReVeR_Me_N

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:27 pm

No I hate them. Sure they can look cool but after looking at them too long they start annoying me.
A perfect example would be Dragon Age.

I had to mod it out. :sadvaultboy:
Portions

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:50 am

YES! burning fire swords, sparking electric swords, poison dripping poisonous daggers, chilling cold short swords.

and more!
Jani Eayon

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:16 pm

If a weapon would be enchanted by fire, I would not want it to blaze like a torch! that would render torches useless.. But rather like the fire would be inside it and while not beeing able to see the flame-you'd see the sparks from the fire. Could be kinda cool :flamed:
Del Arte

Next

Return to V - Skyrim