What about a Fallout in Japan?

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:45 am

Long time fan of the fallout series with its style and atmosphere. Seems to always go with the golden age as its called in America, meaning the rise of the Middle Class when things were organized, men wore those suits with fedoras, people lived in their own houses with yards for the first time, a growing economy and positive outlook, a classic time.

Seems Japan is in this time period now? Everything is organized, the men wear the suits and their middle class is on the rise with big stores making just about everything available for the first time so their current time is similar to the golden age in America? Plus they actually had atomic bombs dropped there which would make it an interesting setting? So far all the Fallout Games have been in America, and with the American bases in Japan and large ex pat community from Britain this could provide a rich atmosphere for characters? Even better with the direction of the series, robot characters or synthetics?

Catharine Krupinski

Post » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:30 pm

It sounds good.... but Japan gets pretty touchy about bombs being dropped. They probably would ban the game completely if it were based there which is bad business for Beth.
Valerie Marie

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 2:42 pm

I would love that, but I'm sure the devs would be under fire for leaving the continent it's always been in, namely the fact that the games have always been in the USA. I'm not sure what the lore says about the condition of the rest of the world.

Gen Daley

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:46 am

can you blame them after ww2 they regretted attacking us. Iam like u I don't want a game like that to enter japan even though iam american.
Elizabeth Lysons

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:19 am

This topic title has succeeded in rofling my waffles. Well done.

Even though SOME Western RPGs are well received in Japan, I can't imagine Fallout is.

It's like they're salty about nuclear bombs for some reason...
Kelly Osbourne Kelly

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:27 am

Europe would make for a better setting probably but I think the whole Fallout fabric is very American altogether so it wouldn't be able to carry most of the spirit and people will then go crazy because "it's no longer Fallout". And they wouldn't be entirely wrong.

Cheryl Rice

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:59 am

Bombs... Japan... touchy subject.
Matthew Barrows

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:43 am

As an European I agree here, one option might be to put some DLC outside of the US.
You get airlifted somewhere for an mission.

rolanda h

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 10:28 am

Its like creating another metro game but its based in america.
Charlie Sarson

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:19 pm

If Fallout left the USA I think it would go to Canada before it went anywhere else. In the lore Canada was annexed by the US anyway so they might try to say they didn't really leave :D
CArlos BArrera

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:53 am

In my honest opinion Sydney, Australia would be the best foreign Fallout setting. Think Mad Max inspired. Not to mention basically every animal there has evolved to be killer nightmare fuel, and then you mutate that?

Things that would make a Deathclaw look like a cuddly teady bear would be on every corner.
vanuza

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:26 am

Yeah, I'd hate to keep bringing up that same point, but a Fallout game outside of the United States just wouldn't be a Fallout game. It would be missing all of the key elements that make Fallout what it is compared to other post-apocalyptic fictional universes. There would be no FEV, no Vault-Tec, no RobCo., none of the factions, etc. To take place in an entirely different country/continent would make it an entirely different game series altogether. Fallout taking place in Russia? Might as well play the Metro games (and you should, because they're good).

At most, I can see alternative locations taking place in countries in North America like Canada and Mexico. Canada could easily work because it was annexed by the US and we've already heard mention of actual locations in Canada such as Ronto. I'd be open for Vancouver as a possible location. Mexico...eh, at most it could take place among its borders but not deep within Central America itself.

Just the way I feel about.

Benito Martinez

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:13 am

Agree with this post very much, thanks for the responses, enjoy reading them. Reading alot of posts people say "America" is the fallout universe. But all the fallout games stem from a specific time period in "America", known as the "golden era" in the "Atomic age" which gave rise to the whole fallout universe? The constant threat of war, with China's aggression towards Japan, and Japan's military expansion out of fear changing its constitution to go from pacifist country to war country, it seems like the conditions are met?

This era with the details mentioned in above post are very similar, with Japan being in the "Golden Era" now of tradition and economic growth on the border of constant war it would be the right setting for Fallout and the representatives of Vault-tec since Japan is a very corporate culture. There can be factions as noted, large ex pat british population, American Bases, Japan is super high tech so robots work as well? The series is currently exploring the path of robots which would fit perfectly in Japan?

Nick Pryce

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:11 am

A nuclear Japan would most likely be overrun by gigantic irradiated creatures, and of course their scientists would have created giant piloted mechs to attack rival China during the resource wars.

Amy Cooper

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 12:04 am

As has been said I think Japan and nuclear explosions and radiation is "insensative".

Along with the smaller market. Japan tends to be a smaller culture and has less globalisation compared to America. If the Fallout moves from the modern (RL) USA it should be Canada first, maybe Mexico. Then consider Europe. Asia hasn't really been mentioned in the FO universe and lacks some of the links with the rest of the market.

Pumpkin

Post » Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:30 pm

The problem is basically the future/past timeline thing. Putting it in another country could make a pretty different Fallout game and it would take a lot of research. There's obviously a lot of cultural differences. What was japan like in the 50's-60's? What did they predict the future would look like? Would Godzilla be on our side in the fight against all the other giant mutant enemies?

Tessa Mullins

Post » Mon Nov 09, 2015 11:23 am

Bethesda already said on more than one occasion they will never set a fallout outside of united states because the whole setting is golden age America and any setting outside of the states just wouldn't feel right.

Not that I agree with that premise, I'd like to see a fallout set outside of America, but the reality is, as long as Bethesda holds the rights to the franchise it won't ever happen.

Also There's the whole censored fallout 3 version, if you buy fallout 3 in Japan you can't nuke megaton and the fatman launcher was renamed.
Cassie Boyle

Return to Fallout Series Discussion