What are 'Inter-Grid Connections

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:29 am

Hi. I just cleared an area of Tamriel in preparation for a small city of my own. Iv tested as Iv gone along and things seem fine, however, when I just opened the mod in the editor I got a warning popup telling me that I have x number of Inter-Grid Connections. This is a mod that I have just tested with no problems and when I clicked "Yes to all" it continued to load and I can edit it as normal.

What are Inter-Grid Connections, do they need fixing and if so, how?

cheers

MVK
Motionsharp

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 5:17 pm

First off, you should NEVER EVER, EVER click the "yes to all" button unless you have no intention of saving your mod. As modding goes there is no quicker way to accidentally screw up your mod. Even if you have to click through 30-40 warnings, just click through (or press enter) and let the warning log compile so that you can look it over and get a full list of everything to pick and choose about what needs to be fixed. In the case of this particular error, you will want this log.

The inter-grid connections warning refers to when any cell has too many connections between pathnodes. If a cell has too many connections, NPC pathing through that cell can become slower or require more processing. The error in this case likely occurred because you were changing the pathgrid settings for cells which exist within a loaded .esm, with a .esp. In some cases, this leads to a duplication of nodes within that cell, and subsequent duplication of connections.

I'm not quite sure on a perfect method for fixing this problem, but the closest I've come has been by removing pathgrids from every cell I've edited using world > path grid generation > Remove from active cell. Adding in any red or blue nodes I need, and then using the Generate active cell command from the same menu. From there, I kinda forget. I think what I did was just delete any entries related to the cells which border the cells I just edited (since nodes in one cell link to nodes in another cell). But, this doesn't always seem to work well so it is suggested that you make backups before beginning and a few times along the way.
Jennifer Rose

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:16 pm

...NEVER EVER, EVER click the "yes to all" button...

Yikes! I'm sure I read somewhere that you should do this - Oh well, live and learn.

Yes, I edited the pathgrid a bit - it was the default one that was there, which I then lowered to the new height of the land. Ill clear it as you suggest and recreate it and add connections to the other cells.

Now then:
just click through (or press enter) and let the warning log compile so that you can look it over and get a full list of everything to pick and choose about what needs to be fixed

Do you mean to click yes for each error and create the log, or do you mean click no and create the log (and prevent loading if I remember rightly)

cheers

MVK
Emily Jones

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:56 am

Do you mean to click yes for each error and create the log, or do you mean click no and create the log (and prevent loading if I remember rightly)

Clicking no is the quickest way in the world to shut down the CS. So yes, click yes (rest a heavy object on Enter) :D

Log is \My Documents\My games\oblivion\EditorWarnings.txt
cheerio :foodndrink:
Kevan Olson

Post » Sun Aug 09, 2009 4:45 pm

Clicking no is the quickest way in the world to shut down the CS. So yes, click yes (rest a heavy object on Enter) :D

Log is \My Documents\My games\oblivion\EditorWarnings.txt
cheerio :foodndrink:

Thanks utumno. I cleared the pathgrids - I didn't need them anyway after a quick re-shuffle of buildings. Ill re-grid the area once everything is in place.

cheers

MVK
Smokey

Return to IV - Oblivion