What's Canon?

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:53 pm

Well, it's the 50's future world nuked... aliens were big in the 50's... it's not a stretch to say the 50's world of tomorrow could include them.

I think it works better as a minor part of the game, but it doesn't really strike me as totally out of place like it does some older fans.

That said, I haven't played Zeta yet.

As an older fan (I remember Wasteland, http://www.coverbrowser.com/image/dos-games/740-1.jpg and the Demo for Fallout) I would come forward and tell you that Aliens have been around since the beginning. This is just the first time we get to meet them (alive). Unless you count the Wannamingo varient called "aliens".
Dalton Greynolds

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:05 am

The MZ DLC is NOT canon! If that is the case, then why not just say that Dr. Who, Godzilla etc. are all canon too. The only things that are canon at the moment are the Classic Fallout's, parts of Fallout Tactics, Van Buren, and perhaps bits and pieces of Fallout 3(mind you that is debatable).

Reminds me of an argument I once made re the canonicty of the Penny Arcade vault.

The difference is of course, MZ is actually completely in, and intergrated into the game, and isnt a clear sideline joke.
joannARRGH

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:43 am

Things shouldn't be shoved into the setting just because they seem to fit; as I previously pointed out when Interplay and Black Isle introduced a new 50's element into the series they made sure it was adjusted to fit into the setting that they created. Mutants and the like were definitely added for the lulz, but Interplay and Black Isle made sure that there was a purpose and a back story behind them. Bethesda didn't give aliens a purpose or back story that worked in the context of Fallout; they just plopped these aliens into the setting and called it a day.

The fact of the matter is that, from the get go, the recon ship WAS ALREADY there. The mothership's arrival IS the backstory... and it doesn't really get a lot more explanation than that. Some people are okay with that, others aren't. To me, the Mothership's arrival to check up on the recon craft which I've been curious about since Fallout 3 FIRST came out is perfectly satisfying. There doesn't need to be some overwhelming sinister plot which gets shoved down the players throat. This player, in particular, probably wouldn't care. I'd be too busy killing these alien psychopaths and taking over their damn ship to worry about what the hell they wanted from me. What they want (unknown), is not what matters. What they get... vaporization at the hands of their own 'superior' weaponry... now that is what I find important.

So... take it... leave it... do what you will.

I know where I stand on the matter.
Brandon Bernardi

Post » Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:25 am

The fact of the matter is that, from the get go, the recon ship WAS ALREADY there. The mothership's arrival IS the backstory... and it doesn't really get a lot more explanation than that. Some people are okay with that, others aren't. To me, the Mothership's arrival to check up on the recon craft which I've been curious about since Fallout 3 FIRST came out is perfectly satisfying. There doesn't need to be some overwhelming sinister plot which gets shoved down the players throat. This player, in particular, probably wouldn't care. I'd be too busy killing these alien psychopaths and taking over their damn ship to worry about what the hell they wanted from me. What they want (unknown), is not what matters. What they get... vaporization at the hands of their own 'superior' weaponry... now that is what I find important.

So... take it... leave it... do what you will.

I know where I stand on the matter.

Theta was as inconsequential as the crash site in Fallout 1; Mothership Zeta however is a huge sprawling quest line... a quest line with no real logic in its design. As I said, Bethesda just plopped the aliens into the setting instead of giving them an actual logical presence.
Natasha Callaghan

Previous

Return to Fallout Series Discussion