What games are Non-Cannon?

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:29 am

Hey what games in the fallout universe are non cannon? I've always wondered as i could never really determine which :o. FO:BOS for the xbox seems highly to be so. -_-
sam

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:13 am

FO:BOS is non-canon, Fallout Tactics is semi-canon due to some inconsistencies with the established Fallout setting, although the main events are still canon.
kitten maciver

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:13 am

All of the games are http://z.about.com/d/goeasteurope/1/0/N/1/-/-/TsarCannon.jpg.
Christine

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:37 am

All of the games are http://z.about.com/d/goeasteurope/1/0/N/1/-/-/TsarCannon.jpg.

HAHAHA very nice :biglaugh:
meghan lock

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:54 am

Bethesda are the ones who decide that now, and I don't think they have made a firm statement one way or another.

Fallout 3 does reference Fallout, Fallout 2, Fallout Tactics and Van Buren though...

I suspect though, at the end of the day, only the three main games are firm cannon for Bethesda, and if they so chose only Fallout 3 would be 100% cannon. If Bethesda contradicts anything in another game at this point, their new version becomes official cannon.
Add Meeh

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:53 am

Bethesda are the ones who decide that now, and I don't think they have made a firm statement one way or another.

They did make a firm statement that Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is non-canon and that Fallout Tactics is semi-canon (the major events are considered canon, but some details are not).
Laura-Jayne Lee

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:23 am

They did make a firm statement that Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel is non-canon and that Fallout Tactics is semi-canon (the major events are considered canon, but some details are not).

Oh cool.. good to know. I thought you were speculating about it when you wrote that... never saw the comment.

They didn't mention Van Buren at all though, huh?
Brian LeHury

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:52 am

No, although I expect even more stuff from Van Buren to be "canonized" in New Vegas.
luis dejesus

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:08 pm

No, although I expect even more stuff from Van Buren to be "canonized" in New Vegas.
Adrian Morales

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:23 am

Hey what games in the fallout universe are non cannon?

Really, only the Fallout 1 game is true canon, as even FO:2 had some inconcistencies.

And FO:3 has some mishaps from the originals (and that's putting it lightly), Tactics does as well. And we all must try to forgot about the stain that was FO:BOS.
Samantha Pattison

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:22 am

Really, only the Fallout 1 game is true canon, as even FO:2 had some inconcistencies.

And FO:3 has some mishaps from the originals (and that's putting it lightly), Tactics does as well. And we all must try to forgot about the stain that was FO:BOS.

Usually in a series the later installments "retcon" the earlier ones, so you have that a little backwards... Fallout 3 is the 100% canon game, Fallout and Fallout 2 are close to 100%, and Tactics is somewhere down the scale.
Daniel Brown

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 1:35 pm

Fallout 1 is 100% Canon, the only reason F3 is cannon is because Bethesda says so, despite it's inconsistencies.
tannis

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:32 am

Usually in a series the later installments "retcon" the earlier ones, so you have that a little backwards... Fallout 3 is the 100% canon game, Fallout and Fallout 2 are close to 100%, and Tactics is somewhere down the scale.

What the hell do you mean F1 and F2 are "close" to canon ? :mellow:
They are 101% ! And just because the franchise changed ownership doesn't mean their canon status is getting smaller .
Jonathan Windmon

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:00 am

They are 101% ! And just because the franchise changed ownership doesn't mean their canon status is getting smaller .

The most current official entry in a series is always the one with the most firm canon status... this is true in any medium or series. Official canon is also always decided by the current manager of the franchise, which is Bethesda.

You can decide to follow the originals no matter what, but that is a decision you made, not the official canon status of the franchise. Some people pretend Star Trek never progressed past the original series... I personally pretend X-Files stopped at season 8... but those are personal viewpoints, not the true canon of those franchises.
Gavin boyce

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:30 am

Actually it could, as more and more is added to the world there are sometimes real storytelling needs to retcon stuff. Even Authors of a series can retcon their own work if storytelling needs require

Examples: CS forrester's Hornblower series do have some inconsistencies about when certain events happen as the Author decided to add more stories at earier stages.
The Patrician in Terry Patchett's discworld series has a completely different look in the Colour of Magic to the later novels, despite being the same character - The author says the look changed as he became a better writer
Chantelle Walker

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:08 am

The most current official entry in a series is always the one with the most firm canon status... this is true in any medium or series. Official canon is also always decided by the current manager of the franchise, which is Bethesda.

You can decide to follow the originals no matter what, but that is a decision you made, not the official canon status of the franchise. Some people pretend Star Trek never progressed past the original series... I personally pretend X-Files stopped at season 8... but those are personal viewpoints, not the true canon of those franchises.

which means that tactics and the console game were both canon in their days. I personally think that 3 is way closer to 1 than 2, tactics and the console game were.
Spencey!

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:04 am

which means that tactics and the console game were both canon in their days. I personally think that 3 is way closer to 1 than 2, tactics and the console game were.

Not even interplay considered the console game canon- they released statements to that effect saying that it was a spinoff from the concept and not in the same canon line.

http://www.duckandcover.cx/content.php?id=11

#22 - Nothing in this game contradicts the events that occur in Fallout or Fallout 2. Read that quote from the FAQ again. Now read this recent snippit from one of the developer's in the FO:BOS forums.

--

However. As we have stated more than a few times now, FO:BOS is not a continuation of the PC chronology. It is inspired by, and takes place with a recognisable tangent of the Fallout Universe, but is is a law unto itself. Further console games (should they come to fruition) will have to follow what we lay down with this game.

Is there an answer that will apease your "Why the hell change it..."? Probably not, because when you get right down to it, we changed it because we wanted to.

FO:BOS resides within a thrice-removed tangent from ourselves, with Fallout 1 and 2 nestled somewhere between.

Yes facts about FO and the BOS that we could use in our defense have been listed, but since we are going to stay the course that F:BoS is not meant to be canon or not necassarily follow canon, then we can't site those items. Can we?

--

Yup. Seems that FO:BOS does contradict FO1 and FO2 and well, they did it because they wanted to. What's even better about this, is that even though they can't follow existing story, any more console games have to follow the FO:BOS story. That one's just funny. If you can make one console game with complete disregard to the story hell, what's stopping you from making another?

Theodore Walling

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 11:28 pm

Well the first is definatly cannon, without it, the following would be nothing. The second, well, it was a rushed game itself, so some of the things in it could be considered non-cannon, such as talking deathclaws. Fallout Tactics would be more or less non-cannon, since it contradicts things in both the first and the second game, massively so, it also aided in putting the franchise in hiatus (Fans of the first two were told the proceeds of fallout tactics would go towards fallout 3 (working title Van Buren), when it was a successfull game, they then started making fallout tactics two, which tanked.) Fallout BOS is holy mother of god not cannon, I mean, Wow, that game is so not cannon, if it were a piece of field artillary, it would be a picture of a cannon, attached to a stick stuck in the ground, and it would be on fire. It also killed interplay, which really sets it appart. Fallout 3 is... well, I guess it is cannon, since bethesda can say it is, buuut, It directly contradicts what a G.E.C.K. is (In the First games manual, and as explained int he second game, It contains a compact fusion reactor, water purification system, Highly resiliant seeds for cultivating food in the insuing nuclear hell hole, includes a Library on three holodisks on how to farm, survival techniques, instuctions on building dwellings using available materials (Dirt, water, manure.) and a handy dandy pen light, not meant for children under t3.), in fallout 3 they call it a terraforming kit, capable of turning the wasteland into a paradise... While in fallout 2 miscomunication and not understanding what it really was, that is exactly what the tribal village your from thought it was. Theres also the whole super mutant debacle, but I just chocked it up to two different labs, working with two different strains of FEV, presuing the same goal. Other then the large things, its pretty much nitpicking, or pointing out gaping holes which really cant be helped. Though some people are quick to point out the ones in Fallout 3, there are ones just as large in Fallout 2 (If the master was killed in fallout, why the hell did the mutants disban thier army? The Nightkin were more then smart enough to keep it toghether and tactically take on the brotherhood, taking "The loo" as an example, he wasnt so much following the masters orders as working to his own ends. I like to call this the R.J. problem (Return of the Jedi) sure the leaders are dead, but now you have the horrifying power vacume and many, many, now leaderless, pissed off, killing machines.)
Shiarra Curtis

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:46 pm

If the master was killed in fallout, why the hell did the mutants disban thier army? The Nightkin were more then smart enough to keep it toghether and tactically take on the brotherhood, taking "The loo" as an example, he wasnt so much following the masters orders as working to his own ends. I like to call this the R.J. problem (Return of the Jedi) sure the leaders are dead, but now you have the horrifying power vacume and many, many, now leaderless, pissed off, killing machines.

They were smart, but none of them was powerful enough to keep all of the army under his command, and they had conflicting ideas (e.g. Marcus wanted to coexist with humans, some wanted to continue the Master's plan, while others wanted to look for a new home for themselves in the East), so they split into several factions. With both the Master and the Lieutenant dead, none of the others was able to keep them all together.
Isaac Saetern

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:49 am

Why would thier only be two leadership figures though? Surely there must have been others they could have looked to for guidance? From the way the game plays it, the all sorta wandered off, except for the remenants of the masters army who still wander around Marsiposa. I mean, even a human wouldnt have a good deal of trouble convincing the predominantly stupid Super Mutant to do what he said after the masters death. If the Brotherhood wasn't so xenophobic, they could have rounded the super mutties up and used them to gather more technology, and act like an arm of the brotherhood.
Chica Cheve

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:25 pm

Why would thier only be two leadership figures though? Surely there must have been others they could have looked to for guidance? From the way the game plays it, the all sorta wandered off, except for the remenants of the masters army who still wander around Marsiposa. I mean, even a human wouldnt have a good deal of trouble convincing the predominantly stupid Super Mutant to do what he said after the masters death. If the Brotherhood wasn't so xenophobic, they could have rounded the super mutties up and used them to gather more technology, and act like an arm of the brotherhood.

Do you really want a group of ham-fisted limited-inteligence..... Individuals hunting valuable, precious, fragile technology?
Spooky Angel

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 6:03 am

many of the supermutants from the mariposa vats were as intelligent as a man. in fact in my last play through they were vastly more intelligent than my guy. what was it sulik told me? I don't remember, I was rolling for several minutes. Too bad FO3 didn't have dumb dialog for the stupid character.
leigh stewart

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 11:31 am

Do you really want a group of ham-fisted limited-inteligence..... Individuals hunting valuable, precious, fragile technology?

This was done in Fallout Tactics. Supermutants were admitted into the brotherhood (depending on what choices you made). And again, not all the muties were dumb. In FT you have a group of them researching a cure for their sterility..
Manuel rivera

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 am

This was done in Fallout Tactics. Supermutants were admitted into the brotherhood (depending on what choices you made). And again, not all the muties were dumb. In FT you have a group of them researching a cure for their sterility..

True not all, but the overwelming majority.
OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:34 am

So, MotherShip Zeta is not going to be considered canon.
Krystina Proietti

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion