What was China like before the war?

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:46 am

I'm not interested in what happened to China after the Great War, but rather I would like to know what, if anything, we know about China before the war, specifically it's culture. We know that in the Fallout series, America's culture was forever stuck in the 50's, but what about China? China and America had two different cultures, obviously, but what was the China's culture like? Was it the same as America, in that whatever culture China had in the 50's stuck with them as well? Or do we just not know?
Symone Velez

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:36 pm

Apparently it was the second most powerful country in the world, so I believe it was very similar to our world's China. In Fallout 3, the few Chinese we see seem very modernized, too. Only "Asian stereotype" thing they have is the officer swords.

EDIT: But overall, we don't know a bit of Chinese society since we never even saw a Chinaman before Fallout 3. In Fallout 1 and 2, the Chinese were barely mentioned.
Dominic Vaughan

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:29 pm

Apparently it was the second most powerful country in the world, so I believe it was very similar to our world's China. In Fallout 3, the few Chinese we see seem very modernized, too. Only "Asian stereotype" thing they have is the officer swords.

EDIT: But overall, we don't know a bit of Chinese society since we never even saw a Chinaman before Fallout 3. In Fallout 1 and 2, the Chinese were barely mentioned.

Ah, I was hoping there would be more information in Fallout 1 and 2. It seems like the only real info we have on the Chinese are from Opertaion Anchorage, but even then, the simulation was altered by General Constantine, so we don't even know if what we saw in the simulation was accurate.
Hairul Hafis

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:55 am

The only info that comes from the older FOs is that Chinese mini-sub that was run aground before the war. The Shi Empire or whatever it was called? They were Chinese remnants.
Melanie Steinberg

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:23 pm

Basically, China would in my guess be very much like it was in the pre-Great Leap Forward period. Also there would have been none of the economic reforms that we see today, and furthermore Maoist ideals would still be very much the forefront of society.
alicia hillier

Post » Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:42 pm

All or most of the population of Dan Fran in FO2 is chinese remenat isn't it?
Kieren Thomson

Return to Fallout Series Discussion