So - What will you do different on your new game?

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:33 pm

Greetings fellow wasteland forum denizens~

Since the much awaited patch is now officially coming out soon, I am going to start my 4th play through after my first 3 were lost due to save game corruption and dlc errors- and i plan on making this new character the one that will actually be able to play the whole game! woo-hoo!

i am actually cautiously excited ....after being so angry and destroyed each time i lost a character and all its progress i have to understand i am must be a masochist, cuz i keep doing it...

:)

hopefully with the fixes so many of us have been waiting for coming soon, I plan on totally changing my approach to the game- btw i'm playing on 360 so i can't just mod in what i want, as much as i would love that!

*for starters I'm going to be a female courier this time, just for the heck of it

*I've always played on hardcoe mode, but i only played on normal for the most part, i will now play on very hard- hopefully i will see increased AI intelligence/speed,etc., not just taking more bullets to kill

*since the game seems to reward more XP the harder your difficulty, i will try to focus on only killing what i have to- that means more scrounging and sneaking in the early stages for sure, which is good..

*since the whole "tutorial" beginning of the game can be manipulated through stat rearranging as you leave Goodsprings after you fulfill your initial quests, i will then focus on agility, perception, endurance and strength as before i was heavily influenced by intelligence charisma and luck heh heh

*Since guns seem to be overpowered, I plan on building a type of character i have never made in a fallout game, a pugilist! i found i really like melee weapons to get up close and personal, but never invested in any unarmed skills- this time i'm planning on knocking out deathclaws with paralyzing punches! hi-ya!

*i will also put points in the underpowered skills like explosives and energy weapons..

*I plan on evening out the rest of the non-combat skills to meet the minimum skill check requirements that i know of, just to seem like a wasteland know it all, but other tan that i will focus on the main build of the character, which is another first for me, as i usually try to build a very even character in rpg's

*I will not be using any implants, as well as leaving Boone's beret back at my Novac hotel room on the hat rack- (not sure yet about the permanent stat raising magazines)

*I'm also not sure about using any gun mods, as a silencer seems overpowered as not one other person in the wasteland seems to use one but me.. but not using the gun mods seems like a waste .. it makes you at least need more money to buy them, and i might just need the extra magazine size extension against a group of unruly cazadors..

*Also i will not be using any companions, as i think i have had enough of all that, every time i bend down to sneak i have to hear about it lol (and i'd just like to be more sneaky this time around, as opposed to be obligated to fight anyone or anything a companion makes eye contact with)

*Hopefully the patch will fix the bug where i can never seem to be cured of any addiction i get no matter what doctor i go to, so now i can finally get high all i want on buffout and jet! I have totally stopped using any synths or alcohol because of the bug, i can;t wait to get my character drunk and kill some radscorpions in the desert! nee-haw!

*I plan on not changing one thing, and that i will be i will still play as a mostly good, if not sarcastic, drunken junkie wanderer of the wastes..and fight the good fight for life, liberty and the pursuit of irradiated happiness..

(i'm saving being evil for my 5th and final playthrough Bwahaha)

SO!

Maybe you had to start over, maybe you finished the game and want to start a new character-

What are you gonna do different this time around?

-

remember, only YOU can prevent corporate espionage!
Blaine

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:47 pm

Well I just started my second one awhile ago. Not a whole lot different in terms of style, but in who I affiliate myself with. This time I'm not going to destroy the BOS, ally with House or cheat. In fact, I've already shot a bullet into House's head, gladly, and I have been helping the BoS. I want the BoS to be powerful on the west again.
Kirsty Collins

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:24 am

It won't be until the patch comes out, but I'll try the following:

1. Complete the game following the directions of Mr. House. I tried to do it on my last playthrough, but a glitch kept Mr. House from knowing that I took care of the Omerta problem for him.

2. Collect all of the snow globes. I shall then use the money . . .

3. . . . to get as many implants as I can.

4. I won't make a full melee character, but I'll try to use melee attack as much as I can.
Allison C

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 2:10 pm

Just a couple heads up to the OP:

• Difficulty level only seems to affect the damage done to and by enemies. They don't get smarter.
  • Unlike FO3, difficulty level does not affect XP gain this time around.

As for me, I've already done a VATS & Guns-focused playthrough, and an Unarmed Wild Wasteland playthrough. I'm currently just screwing around with a speedy but easily damaged character (EN 1, Small Frame, no DT bonuses or armor), and sooner or later I'll get back to this Legion playthrough. But after the patch, I'm finally going to go back to my first love from Fallout 3 ... ENERGY WEAPONS. I can't wait for them to work properly.
Sammie LM

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:07 pm

My first game on the PS3 remains unfinished but I'm hoping the patch will allow me to finish it.

While I was waiting for the patch I decided to get FNV on PC and then learned to mod. The mod I got allows me to have unlimited companions so I've been running around doing quests with a squad. Boone (of course), Veronica, Arcade and ED-E. I'm very impressed with Veronica. I set a Deathclaw on fire with the Incinerator. So there's Veronica running up to a flaming Deathclaw charging on her and finishing him off with the Paladin Toaster...one punch I think. wow.

Because my first game glitched on Oh My Papa, I've been a little Great Khan-phobic but when the patch comes, I'm looking forward to doing their quests and the whole game so I can finally see my ending scenes. :)
Peetay

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:18 pm

I finished the game with the NCR as a sniper on hard/non hardcoe mode

I will now try the game on hardcoe, go with a different faction, and try non vat, non crit melee
Bigze Stacks

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:09 pm

Hrm personally finish the game for a different faction this time. (As I was lucky enough to be able to complete my first playthrough)
Dominic Vaughan

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:03 pm

Once Dead Money comes out I'm going to play a wasteland trader who actually puts points into Barter, Guns, and Medicine since the mandatory mediocrity of most skills will no longer be a problem with 75 extra skill points to spend. Goodbye, skill magazines, you worthless pacifiers of the chronically stupid.
Jonathan Braz

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:04 pm

Once Dead Money comes out I'm going to play a wasteland trader who actually puts points into Barter, Guns, and Medicine since the mandatory mediocrity of most skills will no longer be a problem with 75 extra skill points to spend. Goodbye, skill magazines, you worthless pacifiers of the chronically stupid.

-Is apparently chronically stupid-
Robert Bindley

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:15 am

-Is apparently chronically stupid-

No offense meant. They only exist because of people who complained about the skill point economy of Fallout 3 but also complain about not being able to have instant gratification on any and all skill checks because they [censored] up in character creation. So morons are allowed to have their cake and eat it too. Wonderful. All it does is make me have to hunt for more junk.
Mason Nevitt

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:57 pm

No offense meant. They only exist because of people who complained about the skill point economy of Fallout 3 but also complain about not being able to have instant gratification on any and all skill checks because they [censored] up in character creation. So morons are allowed to have their cake and eat it too. Wonderful. All it does is make me have to hunt for more junk.

Lol, none taken. xD

I SOMEWHAT use mags, it's a 50/50 thing. I use them as amazing setpieces. (I have a little area in the L38 Cocktail Lounge set up where my character likes to sit, a bottle of absinthe at the table, and 4 of each alchohol on the bar :laugh:
Saul C

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:59 pm

Just finished 1st playthrough for NCR, with a talkative science guy.
This time I'll focus on locks/sneaking and maybe sniping.

Also I'm probably going to help Yes-Man. Or House.
Big Homie

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:23 pm

I'm puzzled by the implication that "morons" are the ones who actually use skill-enhancing items, and that the perfectly sensible alternative approach is to compulsively hoard them just because they exist. :shrug:

Personally, I am looking forward to that Science/Energy Weapons character at least in part because high Intelligence and Comprehension will free up some points elsewhere that I can use to qualify for perks I've never tried before (Pack Rat, Living Anatomy...).
Tyrel

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:32 pm

I want to try to play through without killing any Nightkin, now that I know their story. I hope beanbag rounds will allow this.
Sanctum

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:10 pm

I plan on ending everyone, cept No-Bark, he's the exception.
Hayley O'Gara

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:41 pm

wouldn't it be great if No-Bark was a companion?

his perk would be that you hallucinate random things as you walk through the wastes, like a 30 foot tall pink bunny randomly hopping across the sand dunes, or a giant alien ship flies overhead No-Bark starts yelling "see, i told ya so!!!"

:)
Angelina Mayo

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:47 am

I'm not collecting anything I don't plan to use.

There's really no incentive to display it all until expansion mods from the community come along.
roxxii lenaghan

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:13 am

I want to try to play through without killing any Nightkin, now that I know their story. I hope beanbag rounds will allow this.

B e a n b a g s ?!?!?!?

On a N I G H T K I N ! ! ! ! ! !

Dude! I really admire your optimism... fortitude... and guts!

Lots of guts!

Aaaaaaaalllllll over the wasteland :cryvaultboy:
Kate Norris

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:45 pm

I'm going to make a character that looks like Sandra Bullock. That's pretty much it.
luis ortiz

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2008 6:04 am

my buddy asked me this same question last night..i wish they had kept the karma achievements like in 3 that would have made having to go back and play the whole game again a little more worthwhile..
Ben sutton

Post » Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:55 pm

I'm puzzled by the implication that "morons" are the ones who actually use skill-enhancing items, and that the perfectly sensible alternative approach is to compulsively hoard them just because they exist. :shrug:

Personally, I am looking forward to that Science/Energy Weapons character at least in part because high Intelligence and Comprehension will free up some points elsewhere that I can use to qualify for perks I've never tried before (Pack Rat, Living Anatomy...).

They're not FOR morons, they exist BECAUSE OF morons. Morons who kvetch about being god-like at all times yet accept offlaying that to an item that they will use to such an end whenever the occasion strikes.
Gill Mackin

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:01 am

B e a n b a g s ?!?!?!? On a N I G H T K I N ! ! ! ! ! !
I honestly have no idea. With Ed-E's perk no Nightkin ever managed to get a real hit on me in my last playthrough.
Grace Francis

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2008 4:25 am

I just started my second game and this is what I'm going to do different.

I'm going to side with Mr. House this time.

I'm going to acquire all of the companions and let them loose in my Lucky 38 suite. Last time I only ever got Boone and ED-E.

I'm going to find all of the Snow Globes. I don't think I found them all last time.

I'm going to drop a nuke or something in the BoS bunker or kill them some how. Or set a time bomb down there! Mwahahahahaha! Last time I ignored them and Yes Man warned me that probably wasn't a good idea and nothing ever happened with them in the end game, so I'm not sure what that warning was all about. Pfft.

I'm going to do the quests I missed in my first game.

I'm not going to hold onto as much stuff as I did last time.

I wish there were more special items to find like the Snow Globes. Besides guns. I guess collecting companions will be it.

I think that is about it. :)
Emmi Coolahan

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:32 am

I plan on creating a female character that will have Legion sympathies. She will be intelligent, not very charismatic, and skilled in melee/unarmed combat. I also plan to have her rely on the survival skill rather than medicine/chems. Her name will be Esther and if anyone is familiar with Old Testament stories, you may understand how I plan to justify playing as a female soldier in the Legion.
gemma king

Post » Tue Sep 09, 2008 5:06 am

I plan on creating a female character that will have Legion sympathies. She will be intelligent, not very charismatic, and skilled in melee/unarmed combat. I also plan to have her rely on the survival skill rather than medicine/chems. Her name will be Esther and if anyone is familiar with Old Testament stories, you may understand how I plan to justify playing as a female soldier in the Legion.

Sounds like an intresting RP.
C.L.U.T.C.H

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas