What's up with hired thugs?

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:32 pm

So I'm a thief and I was in the middle of a mission to the guild when all of a sudden these hired thugs came out of nowhere and almost blew my cover. Luckly I managed to get out of the scene quickly to deal with them on a more secluded location. Strangely enough they knew exactly where I was all the time, I couldn't hide from them.

I hope this was a one time thing because if these hired thugs start showing up in the middle of my stealth missions it's gonna be pretty annoying.
Melung Chan

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:27 pm

(spoilers blacked out because spoiler tags are ugly and break lines)
It's a one time thing, tied to the completion of the one quest where you steal the Falmer translation chart.

College of Winterhold has one also, where a random guy challenges you to a magic duel.
Rudi Carter

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:33 pm

People will hire thugs to beat you up if they know you stole stuff from them, but dont have substantial evidence to turn you in. (and by substantial evidence i mean they dident witness it)

Try not to be seen in the house were somthing gets stolen. Sneak in and out and then youll be fine. Just entering a store, having the guy look at you, then crouching and stealing all his valuables will result in him knowing...its like a trigger.
Bee Baby

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:51 pm

Must have stolen something from an NPC and they sent the thugs after you. It's wierd because I had this happen when I snuck into some old lady's shack (forget her name) and went into her basemant. She attacked me as soon as I came out and I killed her. Yet she somehow got the message out that I needed to be "taken care of" by some thugs.

I don't think it happens a lot, but I also got some thugs after me from stealing steel ingots from Alvor in Riverwood. Yet no one saw me do it as I was hidden the entire time.
Charles Mckinna

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:09 pm

This is a pretty random and rare event and can be triggered by various things. I've only encountered it once though so I don't think it's going to be a hinderence to you.

Spoiler
Spoiler
After completing a thieves guild quest which involved robbing a particular person, that particular person put a bounty out on me which the thugs tried to carry out. I know this because a note on the bodies had the particular person's name signed at the bottom.

Steven Hardman

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:49 am

Thats actually very impressive. I used to steal ingots & ores from blacksmiths back in the day to quickly boost my blacksmithing for free...

Now I know why I kept running into those thugs...
nath

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:35 am

Ive played a thief character to the finishing of the Thieves Guild questline. Ive only had Hired Thugs come after me once and that was when I first stole something. I did not happen again.
Samantha Wood

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:03 pm

Yeah in Whiterun there is a little girl and her mother. The mother works one of the vendors in the market. I broke into some of the houses and ended up liberating some items from their house. Later on I get jumped by some hired guys and after killing them I saw the contract. The name was very familiar but I couldn't quite figure it out. Then back at Whiterun I recognized the mother's last name. Then it hit me. The little girl hired those damn thugs. So after waiting till they went home to sleep, I snuck in and killed the mother leaving her an orphan (although it doesn't change anything other than me automatically failing a small quest).
Jason King

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:15 pm

Yeah in Whiterun there is a little girl and her mother. The mother works one of the vendors in the market. I broke into some of the houses and ended up liberating some items from their house. Later on I get jumped by some hired guys and after killing them I saw the contract. The name was very familiar but I couldn't quite figure it out. Then back at Whiterun I recognized the mother's last name. Then it hit me. The little girl hired those damn thugs. So after waiting till they went home to sleep, I snuck in and killed the mother leaving her an orphan (although it doesn't change anything other than me automatically failing a small quest).

Precursor: "Little girl... For you, the day that Precursor came to your town, it was the most important day of your life. For me... It was tuesday."
Code Affinity

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:29 pm

Precursor: "Little girl... For you, the day that Precursor came to your town, it was the most important day of your life. For me... It was tuesday."

ooh thats bad :laugh:

the thugs are random events that people send after you if you stole something from them
Vickey Martinez

Post » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:42 am

Oh man, that is the best quote from the worst movie.
Suzy Santana

Post » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:54 pm

I only had the hired thugs come after me once, hired by one of the cleaning ladies in a Jarl's Hall. They attacked me in broad daylight, walking down the street in Solitude.
ImmaTakeYour

Return to V - Skyrim