Where to start in series?

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 2:52 pm

Hi All,
I would like to start playing the Elder Scrolls series of games but am unsure of where to start. Can you advise? I know nothing of the series, I've just heard it's very good. I would think starting with the latest game might be confusing, but going back to the earliest game (late 90's?) doesn't sound too appealing.
Thanks much,
JI

PS Please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong forum.
sarah

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi, and welcome to the forums! :goodjob:
You're new here, so have a http://www.uesp.net/wiki/general:Fishy_Stick

The only two games I've player were Morrowind and Oblivion.
Personally, I liked Oblivion more.
I also think that you should start with Oblivion, because you don't have to know alot about TES to fully enjoy it.
Morrowind is a great game, but I think that you need to know a little bit more about it.

The series isn't like alot of game series, were you have to play game 1 to know about game 2.
You can start from anywhere, and still understand it

But you will probably be safer with Oblivion.

ALSO: please wait for other people to post there opinions before you go out and buy Oblivion, they may have more useful information that will help you out.
Kelly Osbourne Kelly

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:47 pm

Any TES game from the 90's might be hard to play considering the extremely outdated graphics. But http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Morrowind would be a good game to start with, as I and many people think it's better than http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Oblivion. Morrowind doesn't have the greatest graphics, but they aren't bad and you'll get used to them quickly. What did you want to play on? PC, Xbox 360, PS3?
Crystal Birch

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:41 pm

For a first time, Morrowind. It will captivate you. Makes you feel all -- *nostalgia tear*
mishionary

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:50 pm

It doesn't really matter what game you play first. There are a few things you might get if you played the earlier games, but generally speaking they are fairly independent. Although it is worth to note that they all follow a timeline; TES2 is 6 years after TES1, TES3 is 22 years after TES2 and TES4 is 6 years after TES3.

Another thing worth noting is that TES1: Arena and TES2: Daggerfall are http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm so they are easy to try, and (today only) there's a http://store.steampowered.com/app/22320/ on TES3: Morrowind so you can buy it cheap.
Chenae Butler

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:23 pm

Another thing worth noting is that TES1: Arena and TES2: Daggerfall are http://www.elderscrolls.com/downloads/downloads_games.htm so they are easy to try, and (today only) there's a http://store.steampowered.com/app/22320/ on TES3: Morrowind so you can buy it cheap.

But the Steam version of Morrowind doesn't come with the Construction Set, so if the OP ever wanted to mod, he couldn't.
Rudi Carter

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:48 am

All grievances aside, I would advise you not to play Oblivion as first because of two reasons: 1. It will be hard to play other TES games after that (you'll be used to better graphics, voice dialogues etc.) 2. There are quite a few spoilers in Oblivion considering the events that take place in Morrowind (mostly rumours of what is happening in that province, but they contain some important details).
Taylor Thompson

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:17 pm

The obvious answer would be "from the beginning," which is easy, since as Freddo said the first two are available for free. That aside, you don't really need to know anything about the other games to play one of them, so starting point doesn't matter much.
Sara Lee

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:55 pm

It doesn't really matter where you start, as they are all great games. I personally would recommend Morrowind, as it is my (and many others') favorite. I really don't want to get into the fissure between Morrowind players and Oblivion players, but needless to say that Morrowind and Oblivion are rather different games.

However, Morrowind is rather cheap at the moment, so that is a good incentive to try it out first. :D
Rachael

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:32 pm

Daggerfall or Arena, dont go Oblivion and backwards cuz you get too hooked up on the graphics and just go "olololol grafixx sux dis gaem isnt PS3 STANDARD!!111!!!oneone ololololollonololol"

give the old games a chance first and if your eyes cant take the heat you are welcome to progress to easier TEs games like Morrowind/Oblivion.
Michelle Smith

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:19 pm

Not like (vanilla) Oblivion's graphics are worth mentionning.
Richus Dude

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:22 pm

Personally, either Morrowind or Daggerfall would be a good starting point for starting the series.
Jynx Anthropic

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:51 pm

Personally, either Morrowind or Daggerfall would be a good starting point for starting the series.

:nod:
Laura Richards

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:13 pm

I think Oblivion is the best place to start. It is the easiest access point, and is still my favorite game. Yes, it is an RPG, but the combat system, graphics, and animations all make Oblivion the easiest game to get into. Oblivion's graphics are also breathtaking at times. Oblivion currently has the latest official lore and is just great for the first time Elder Scrolls player. Ignore those who would bash Oblivion.

P.S. Arena came out in 1994, Daggerfall came out in 1996, Morrowind came out in 2002, and Oblivion came out in 2006.
michael danso

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:19 pm

Some posts have gone away, derailing a topic is not acceptable and bringing the thread to the level of Oblivion bashing arguments are likely to get those members warned.

Either answer the OP's question in a constructive and helpful way or stay out of the thread. I won't be tolerant next time.
Stat Wrecker

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:57 am

Oblivion is the most designed for people with no history with TES series, and as a result, it is easier to get into TES series through Oblivion. Then, as one becomes familiar with TES universe, Morrowind and Daggerfall are easier to approach. Also, yes, Oblivion is prettier.

OK, have you played Oblivion as first? If so have you liked Morrowind? If not, why? If yes, why do you like Oblivion better? That's the kind of answers we need here. It's difficult to choose which of these two games play first as most who played both liked the first one they played better. We need to come up with a list of characteristics. For instance:

Oblivion:

-Newer graphics
-Lush, but smaller world
-Voice dialogue
-Intense, demanding main quest

Morrowind:

-Previous generation graphics
-Big and diverse, but somewhat empty world (less dungeons than in other TES games)
-Almost everything in text (much of the lore is in the books found in Morrowind, so you can learn of it while you play)
-Main quest is it's weakest part, most don't find captivated by it or at least don't feel that much of a need to do it

care to add something?
amhain

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:55 am

Go with Morrowind first since it has more of a traditional roleplaying feel than Oblivion. Also the environment and atmosphere is more unique and less cliche.

After that(if you enjoy it'll be a while :D) check out Daggerfall and then Oblivion.

Plus you can find it for cheap.
Antony Holdsworth

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:22 pm

Must this thread turn into a war between Morrowind and Oblivion?

Here's what I suggest:

If you are newer to RPGs and want an easier play-through, get Oblivion.

If you are more experienced with RPGs and don't don't mind reading a lot, get Morrowind.

Of course, that's just in a nut-shell. I could go more in-depth with specifics of each and why I prefer Morrowind, etc, etc, but I feel that would only fuel the argument.
Life long Observer

Post » Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:28 am

People say Arena svck, but If you get Daggerfall to work, try it. I'd cry for daggerfall to work on my pc.

Otherwise I found morrowind with expansions to be most funny, but If your pc is powerfull enough, Oblivion with a crap load of mods is just a thrill.
Alba Casas

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:19 am

Otherwise I found morrowind with expansions to be most funny, but If your pc is powerfull enough, Oblivion with a crap load of mods is just a thrill.

Most funny? I assume you mean most fun? :P
Justin

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:47 pm

People say Arena svck, but If you get Daggerfall to work, try it. I'd cry for daggerfall to work on my pc.

For your Daggerfall problem I have two words for you: http://www.dosbox.com/
Carlos Vazquez

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:59 pm

For your Daggerfall problem I have two words for you: http://www.dosbox.com/

IDK why, but Dos Box doesn't work on all PCs/Lap-Tops, or at least that's what I've heard.
x a million...

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:44 pm

nah, works fine on my 3 different computers (2 stationary and 1 lap-top.)
WTW

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:51 pm

IDK why, but Dos Box doesn't work on all PCs/Lap-Tops, or at least that's what I've heard.

DosBox itself should always work, if it doesn't there's something wrong with the PC's configuration. Problems may occur with running games, but Daggerfall's manual that can be found with it on the Official TES page contains info on what settings to use. This is also for the OP if he would like to play the game as first.
Kat Stewart

Post » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:28 pm

If you're new to RPGs, Oblivion's probably your best bet. Although if you already have some RPG experience and want an absolutely incredible game, go for Morrowind
michael flanigan

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion