Which ending do you consider canon in F:NV

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:35 pm

Simple question. I'm sure it's been asked before but i'm curious as to what consensus (if any) has been reached.

Add Me

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:05 am

The good thing about New Vegas is that there are many endings. Sure the big four endings which are in the poll but there are also many options.

The Boombers, Khans, Brotherhood, Fiends, Powder Gangers and so on are all side options. So that being said I support the New California ending. But I don't believe everything should have gone their way. Could have it so the Powder Gangers are still around and so on.

^~LIL B0NE5~^

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:24 pm

I think House is most likely going to be the end canon for NV.

Justin

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:56 pm

As great as that could potentially be for humankind, I somehow doubt it will enter canon. House lays out an ultimate plan for restoring humanity. Simply because of that, I dont think it would be canonized or if it did, Houses utopia would be somehow fractured.

A canonized house ending would also minimize the role of the protagonist as opposed to an Independent ending.

Tamara Dost

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:18 am

Independent most likely. It gives future games regardless of location the freest hand in that they could avoid addressing anything from New Vegas at all very easily if they wanted to.

Of course that's also why I consider it the most boring ending.

Makenna Nomad

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:04 pm

Everything getting nuked, as Avellone suggested, or the tunnelers destorying everything.

Trevor Bostwick

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:05 pm

Houses big speech about "going to the stars" and such doesn't have to occur for the ending to become canon.

I highly doubt any of the "large scale" stuff that House says will actually occur. At least not within the timeframe of the series. Still, House becoming autocrat of Vegas and negotiating a treaty with the NCR seems the most likely ending for the game.

House is a carefully crafted character who has a hand in the game from the moment you wake up in Goodsprings. Would be a waste to see that new character (and new faction he represents) be wiped away.

How so? The protagonist is key to House's victory.

Plus look at it this way: usually the player character isn't given such massive authority, as what happens in the independent ending. In nearly every game in the series, the hero makes his mark, and sort of fades away into the background after "saving the day." Not ruling as sole lord over an entire region with a massive robotic army at his back.

To me that fact alone makes the independent ending the most unlikely. The PC is too much of an unknown quantity.

Mason Nevitt

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:48 pm

I much more prefer the former to the latter. Tunnelers are the most shoehorned and needless thing casually thrown into the Fallout Universe. Maybe because it was intoduced in the form of a DLC. :confused:

Ok, I'll agree with you there. It just always seems to me that whichever ending pedestals the PC the highest in a non-evil or overly chaotic way would seem to be the canonized one.

Nathan Maughan

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:04 am

I would say House is killed, but not replaced by Yes Man, the Hoover Dam get destroyed, both The legion & NCR lose interest in the area and the anarchy is back.

Although, i prefer no canon ending so our choices keep their strenght.

Tyrone Haywood

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:36 am

Usually, when dealing with canon, the hero isn't an ultimate bad ass killer(the exception being Tactics and 3). However, the hero has killed some folks, usually(in canon) with trickery.

I say independent soley as that is the path of less bloodshed, or possible bloodshed. Which is again, the path the hero usually takes. Frankly, going with any of the big 3, they all want you to murder people. And regardless of your own head canon, yer a friggin mailman, not Jimmy the Tooth, assassin.

The only other option is NCR, but I think they want to nerf all the major factions. If NCR doesn't lose in the Mojave, the only way to nerf them in the future will be nuking them. Personally I think just nuking a faction is a cheap way out.
Allison Sizemore

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:32 am

I would say the Independent Vegas ending.
Agnieszka Bak

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:50 am

That isn't very Fallouty. That is like the Dragon Age/Mass Effect way.

However, I do agree their should have been an ending where you could just leave, OR even better, plant a wmd on the dam and blow it up. I remember the trailers for NV and how it showed the hero blowing up Vegas. Too bad that wasn't in the game, either.
CArlos BArrera

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:57 pm

I always thought the good NCR ending would be canon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jEX-d0yuxGk (spoilers, obviously)

BlackaneseB

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:11 pm

I'd prefer the House ending to be canon (although I 've probably sided with Yesman and NCR more often).

Neil

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:54 pm

I did vote for House, purely because he's a unique character who it would be a shame to lose from the Fallout world. The cut Think Tank ending would have been awesome, yet disturbing.
Tamika Jett

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:24 pm

A "Walks on Water" Independant ending, with the Slide for the Followers having "until the Autodocs mysteriously appeared in Mormon Fort at night." voiced by Doctor Mobius.

I think a Neutral Karma House ending will be Canon.

Louise Andrew

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:08 am

We've still got the option of Elijah's ending...
CHARLODDE

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:29 pm

I if recall it correctly, there is a way to destroy or render the dam useless, through Yes Man questline.

laila hassan

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:59 pm

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Yes_Man%C2%A0

"Attack (NCR)? No, not attack them. Wipe the slate clean. Make the Mojave like it was meant to be: undisturbed by man. I'll send the Cloud, the Holograms. Bring ruin in my hands until only I stand atop the HELIOS One tower again. I'll scour Hoover Dam with the Cloud, rain its walls with spears from the sun - with an army of Old World ghosts behind me. [...] I'll kill them until it's only me, me alone in a quiet world."

Certainly doesn't sound like it.

Even the ending slider for if you choose to help him with low NCR reputation states only two survive

Spoiler
n the years that followed, the legend of the Sierra Madre faded, and there were no... new visitors to the city. Years later, when a mysterious blood red cloud began to roll across the Mojave, then West toward the Republic, no one knew where it had come from. Only that it brought death in its wake. Attempts to find the source of the toxic cloud failed. The Mojave was cut off. Through the Cloud, lights were seen from HELIOS One. There were stories of ghosts immune to gunfire, who struck down anyone they saw with rays of light. The last chapter of the Mojave came when a modified REPCONN rocket struck Hoover Dam, releasing a blood-red cloud, killing all stationed there. All attempts to penetrate the Cloud and re-take the Dam failed, and both the NCR and Legion finally turned away from it, citing the place as cursed. In the years that followed, communities across the West began to die as traces of the Cloud began to drift over lands held by the NCR. Only two remained alive in the depths of the Cloud, at the Sierra Madre, waiting for their new world to begin again.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Dead_Money_endings

even if they could make a new world everything is dead. Animals, people, plants, they all die. The only ones who can probably endure the cloud is Ghouls and maybe super mutants and as far as we know there is no way to simply get rid of it. It could end up being a permanent thing that can only just move.

Thousands die under Elijah's plan, thousands of innocents, thousands who did nothing wrong all because he hates people.
Destinyscharm

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:10 pm

That would be a pretty sweet short story or comic, the story of what Elijah does if he succeeds at the sierra madre and how he does it. I can just imagine him placing hologram emitters everywhere throughout the mojave, rigging up a rocket launcher and firing it at the hoover dam from a nearby cliff edge. Basically one old man going on a genocide spree, that would be pretty cool.

Or if someone made a mod that has you play as a random wastelander who goes to investigate the mysterious cloud rolling into the mojave, you gotta follow elijah's footsteps and read/listen to his journals and you have a chance to stop him, but make it really friggen hard.

I should get into modding and do it myself, but i never got the time for that.

Rachel Tyson

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:35 pm

House ending would make the most sense, and he is the best option out of the four to keep the mojave thriving and growing with a 'booming' economy. I could see Yes Man being the popular choice as canon though. But that just seems too easy and isn't the best option for the Mojave's future.

Lucky Boy

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:13 pm

As I said in another thread

There is more to being a leader then talking and having ideas. House is a CEO, a businessman, not the kind of person that should rule a nation. Hell, we see with the families how much his rule really mean, it meant little to them. Benny was close to taking down House, the Omertas did whatever they please, the White glove had cannibals still under them. House thinks that a robot army is all he needs and well, he is dead wrong. There are things robots can't do.

Plus you have the whole thing where he is literally a faceless leader, he is sealed away in his tower. How would you feel if you had a leader like that? Personally I think it would just encourage people to ignore his rule even more and what can he do about it? Kill everyone who disagrees? That's a fast track to rebellion and resentment.

House is smart but even a wise man can be a fool and when I mean "man" for House, I mean it very loosely. He is more machine then human at this point.
chirsty aggas

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:33 pm

Or......

It was something intentional, thinking ahead.

Yes Man seems to be one of those cute characters, but ..... how can I say ... amoral. A character more or less like the bear in Danganronpa. Or Zero Jr. in Virtue: Last Reward.

He even looks like the Laughing Man, from Ghost in the Shell

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laughing_Man_%28Ghost_in_the_Shell%29

Does the premature death of the Courier would not do Mojave an odd place to live? Without someone to lead the Yes Man, who knows what could he do?

Who knows how thinks an AI without moral restraints ...... Obviously killing is not a problem for him.

Maybe it turns into a bizarre version of House? Or decide to expand their territories?

It would be an interesting faction to seeing in the future

le GraiN

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:12 pm

If the Courier left/ died, Yes Man would presumably continue to instruct the Securitrons as per the Courier's original instructions - i.e. not very flexibly. All it can do at present is follow the plans of Mr House and adapt them, where necessary, to the wishes and actions of the Courier. Unless you're arguing that it achieves self-awareness at some stage in the future, but there's nothing to suggest that in game. I see a greater likelihood that a faction would kidnap the Courier and force him to give certain instructions to Yes Man.
daniel royle

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:09 pm

Can be done.

Hell, even I who am no professional writer can think of at least three reasons.

Jade MacSpade

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion