which engine should the next TES game use....

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:36 pm

assuming they arent using gamebryo..........i hope not at least. which engine should they use in their next game. i remember the video of imperial city being rendered in the crytech engine and it looked spectacular. its probably wishful thinking but i would like to see the next game use a modified version of Idtech 5 or dunia or even the crytech engine.
Anne marie

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:35 pm

assuming they arent using gamebryo..........i hope not at least. which engine should they use in their next game. i remember the video of imperial city being rendered in the crytech engine and it looked spectacular. its probably wishful thinking but i would like to see the next game use a modified version of Idtech 5 or dunia or even the crytech engine.

Don't they have their own engine (Correct me if I'm wrong) and they work from the previous every time.
Farrah Lee

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:53 pm

Do we all have to go over this again? They have pretty much been using Gamebryo for 10 years now (at least), and they have turned it into almost their own engine. They will most likely not change engines and stick with what they've been using for the past 10 years.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but Morrowind was Gamebryo too, right?
JUan Martinez

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 11:59 am

Do we all have to go over this again? They have pretty much been using Gamebryo for 10 years now (at least), and they have turned it into almost their own engine. They will most likely not change engines and stick with what they've been using for the past 10 years.

EDIT: Correct me if I'm wrong, but Morrowind was Gamebryo too, right?

Nope! The engine that Gamebryo evolved from was called NetImmerse and that is what they used to create Morrowind.
JD FROM HELL

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:43 pm

I'm actually hoping they use Gamebryo again, whether it is a new version or a heavily modified version of the one used to make Oblivion. Bethesda is familiar with Gamebryo, so why change?
Love iz not

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:31 pm

God, they seriously need to advance. Get a new engine, Bethesda. Like Havoc engine or Unigine.
Lucky Girl

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:33 pm

Yes, they're going to use Gamebryo again. Ashley Cheng implied this in an interview a while back. They're redoing their basic technology though. Don't worry.
Angelina Mayo

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:57 pm

Yes, they're going to use Gamebryo again. Ashley Cheng implied this in an interview a while back. They're redoing their basic technology though. Don't worry.

Well, I am just a bit worried... there have been quite a few advances made with some of the new engines and you can really only customize something so much. I think of it like a Hummer... while at the time it was rockin' but now it seems a bit old and clunky, not to mention that is isn't green... so you rework it, take out the engine put in some lithium-ion batteries and an electronic power-train... yeah so now you have a green monster... but someone just invented a flying car that runs on dreams; doesn't seem like much fun to roll around town in your panzy electric hummer when you could be shootin' the breeze :)
Laura Ellaby

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 4:10 pm

Like Havoc engine or Unigine.

Are you referring to Havok, the physics engine? That's not a game engine, it's a physics engine. And Bethesda already uses it.

Well, I am just a bit worried... there have been quite a few advances made with some of the new engines and you can really only customize something so much. I think of it like a Hummer... while at the time it was rockin' but now it seems a bit old and clunky, not to mention that is isn't green... so you rework it, take out the engine put in some lithium-ion batteries and an electronic power-train... yeah so now you have a green monster... but someone just invented a flying car that runs on dreams; doesn't seem like much fun to roll around town in your panzy electric hummer when you could be shootin' the breeze :)

Todd Howard said in the Kotaku interview that they're very aware of the technical deficiencies in their games. I wouldn't worry about anything. ESV is going to run much better and look better at the same time.
Anne marie

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:01 pm

Bethesda is familiar with Gamebryo, so why change?

Something about the engine's limitations.
Laura

Post » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:05 am

Something about the engine's limitations.

Such as what, exactly? Bethesda needs to work on optimization, but Gamebryo works just fine for Elder Scrolls games and it is being heavily modified.
Rex Help

Post » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:25 am

Nope! The engine that Gamebryo evolved from was called NetImmerse and that is what they used to create Morrowind.

It's still basically the same engine, albeit more optimized and updated, but uses the same rendering techniques. Even with Morrowind I thought the engine was weak and hoped that Oblivion would use a different one. I'm honestly not anticipating TES:V to be much different, but it would be interesting to see if they incorporate some of ID's technology into it - not necessarily a complete engine switch but some serious under-the-hood upgrades. :hubbahubba:
Laura Simmonds

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:30 pm

Such as what, exactly? Bethesda needs to work on optimization, but Gamebryo works just fine for Elder Scrolls games and it is being heavily modified.

Allow me to redirect you to this post.

Mrs Pooh

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:07 pm

Stiff. Stilted. Rigid. There is something about Gamebryo and Gamebryo Lightspeed that really falls away graphically. I am not sure if it is the rendering capabilities or the advancements in lighting that other engines are able to incorporate, but what Gamebryo does well is that it allows for almost anything you can imagine to be created, just that it won't quite get rendered in a way that is realistic (when compared to other engines). It has the capability of moving much faster with a lot more going on in the background than some engines, which is where I can see the appeal for an rpg game, yet when you watch how some of the engines allow light to bounce off a wall and then illuminate a colored object which then throws soft colored light at another object and the room gets slightly brighter with a combined soft colored glow of the two lights together, you say "holy crap" and that is when the stuff comes to life, and that is just something that doesn't happen in a believable way with Gamebryo.
james tait

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:49 pm

Are you referring to Havok, the physics engine? That's not a game engine, it's a physics engine. And Bethesda already uses it.

Todd Howard said in the Kotaku interview that they're very aware of the technical deficiencies in their games. I wouldn't worry about anything. ESV is going to run much better and look better at the same time.

Let us hope they read your signature at least, Mr. Cleanex Box. :P
Mark

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:44 pm

Is Crysis Warhead still ranked as the best engine to date? Or did another game surpass it?

(I should've just edited my previous post instead of making another one. Es tut mir leid)
RAww DInsaww

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:58 pm

i didnt play crysis warhead so i dont know how different it was compared to the first game. however i actually thought the dunia engine from far cry 2 looked just as good (minus the strange grass) as the first crysis engine but didnt need as powerful hardware to run it.
Kira! :)))

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 9:41 pm

Perhaps I'm just a bit behind the times in this sort of thing or it's my lack of tech-savvy, but I don't really get what's so horribly wrong with the way Bethesda's games look right now, all things considered. Sure, the animations and character models could use some extra development time, but other than that I haven't seen games with those kind of behind-the-scenes workloads look as good as TES. Maybe I'm just missing something because of the TES-fan glasses on my nose :shrug: :P
To be honest, as I've seen Cryengine 2 being used as a benchmark a lot, I'd like to see how it would run a full on TES-game. I just don't know if it would be able to handle the added workload of some form of radiant AI, rpg-gameplay, immense vastness et cetera and still look as stupendously good. In comparison, Crysis-style games don't seem to do as much at any given time. I think that, no matter what engine, we still wouldn't get the level of graphics we see in other open world titles for the next TES game, simply because of the amount of content and workload that's involved.
Be that as it may, I'd love to see Bethesda pool their resources with Id further down the line, it would certainly benefit the company as whole. For now, we will probably see Bethesda using a version of Gamebryo that implements newer techniques and stuff, and that's really just fine by me.
Guinevere Wood

Post » Sat Nov 27, 2010 1:22 am

my problem is with things that other engines at the time had down pretty well. namely water, shadows, and lighting. all three of them were horribly implemented in oblivion. other games of that era way back then had much better looking lighting and shadow implementation and even half life 2 had better water than oblivion and that game came out in the 1970s. as for the radiant AI, its not really AI of any kind. they have schedules they they perform and wander packages but its nothing like they originally advertised it was going to be.

im not so worried about textures cause those are easiliy replacable, shadows and lighting are much more difficult to change and i think most everyone has given up making oblivions water look better except for fog value changes and coloring. someone tried adding wave meshes but it wasnt practical to hand add them all to the game.
stevie critchley

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:09 pm

Perhaps I'm just a bit behind the times in this sort of thing or it's my lack of tech-savvy, but I don't really get what's so horribly wrong with the way Bethesda's games look right now, all things considered. Sure, the animations and character models could use some extra development time, but other than that I haven't seen games with those kind of behind-the-scenes workloads look as good as TES. Maybe I'm just missing something because of the TES-fan glasses on my nose :shrug: :P
To be honest, as I've seen Cryengine 2 being used as a benchmark a lot, I'd like to see how it would run a full on TES-game. I just don't know if it would be able to handle the added workload of some form of radiant AI, rpg-gameplay, immense vastness et cetera and still look as stupendously good. In comparison, Crysis-style games don't seem to do as much at any given time. I think that, no matter what engine, we still wouldn't get the level of graphics we see in other open world titles for the next TES game, simply because of the amount of content and workload that's involved.
Be that as it may, I'd love to see Bethesda pool their resources with Id further down the line, it would certainly benefit the company as whole. For now, we will probably see Bethesda using a version of Gamebryo that implements newer techniques and stuff, and that's really just fine by me.

Yeah, but someone was able to run Oblivion off of the crysis engine, so it obviously can be done, and should be done I think.
Jessie Butterfield

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:13 pm

my problem is with things that other engines at the time had down pretty well. namely water, shadows, and lighting. all three of them were horribly implemented in oblivion. other games of that era way back then had much better looking lighting and shadow implementation and even half life 2 had better water than oblivion and that game came out in the 1970s. as for the radiant AI, its not really AI of any kind. they have schedules they they perform and wander packages but its nothing like they originally advertised it was going to be.

im not so worried about textures cause those are easiliy replacable, shadows and lighting are much more difficult to change and i think most everyone has given up making oblivions water look better except for fog value changes and coloring. someone tried adding wave meshes but it wasnt practical to hand add them all to the game.

Thanks, that clears it up a bit for me... even though personally I didn't notice these things (well, except for the water) I can understand your concerns about them if you did/do notice them.

Yeah, but someone was able to run Oblivion off of the crysis engine, so it obviously can be done, and should be done I think.

Is it live gameplay? Because I've seen something similar, but it just showed the Imperial City without much going on. Just the assets rendered with the Cryengine or something like it. Do you have a link?
Jesus Duran

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:37 pm

A heavily modified version of Gamebryo would be great.
I also like the Source engine, but I think Source wouldn't be good for a TES game.
danni Marchant

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 8:55 pm

The game engines currently used are fine. There are other, far more important aspects Bethesda need to think about.

If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Inol Wakhid

Post » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:55 am

They have to get shadows working at some point. Other than that their engine is not that different from others. I consider Crysis and Oblivion/Fallout(and GTA4) engines as best engines out there. They have parallax mapping, day-night cycles and good AI-Physics. For AI and physics we have GTA4 which is a good example for a Tes game, imo.

PS. I want them to make the engine to be capable of displaying true open worlds(no closed cities and game zones, please).
Jonathan Braz

Post » Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:25 pm

CryEngine 2 would be nice, but it requires a high-end computer. I found a video in Youtube just a while ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmLzNbPXMDg&feature=related is what TES V might look like, if it was on CryEngine 2
C.L.U.T.C.H

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion