Who is Ruma Camoran?

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:08 am

I was reading through Camoran's http://www.imperial-library.info/obbooks/mythic_dawn_commentaries.shtml the other day when I came across one of many things I find perplexing. This in particular caught my eye because the Camorans will soon be a rather important part in a fanfiction I'm currently working on.

This is the passage, found at the end of book 3.

Endeth we seek through our Dawn, all endeth. Falter now and become one with the wayside orphans that feed me. Follow and I shall adore you from inside. My first daughter ran from the Dagonite road. Her name was Ruma and I ate her with no bread, and made another, which learned, and I loved that one and blackbirds formed her twin behind all time.

Other than an example of Mankar's stellar parenting, what does it mean? Is this a figurative reshaping of Ruma's psyche, or did he literally recreate her? Does this mean the two of them aren't actually mer? Or is he even referring to his children at all?

I figure, if anyone knows the answer to this, the folks in the Lore forum do. I ran a search, and some people lightly touched on it in past posts... is there a general consensus, or does anyone have any really interesting theories?

Or are these just the rantings of a madman prone to getting his facts mixed up? :P

Thank you in advance for any responses.
Erin S

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:08 am

Muthsera,

It is my opinion, as given and granted by JHUNAL, that the aforesaid passage relates to Ruma's original rebellion against the malignant and abominable philosophies of the Daedric Prince, Mehrunes Dagon.

Dagon, it is said, was to come and purge NIRN through his fire and destruction, leaving pure anything not destroyed (thus why it was called a "purging" or "cleansing" instead of an obliteration or erasure of sorts).

Ruma's destruction and rebirth into something pure....and something with a double...demonstrates her ascension beyond her original state, something-to-be-destroyed, i.e., unpure.

Notice how the twins' mother is never mentioned, eh?

___The Word Merchant of Julianos
Marta Wolko

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:26 am

What I want to know is why the Imperial Guard wasn't suspicious when they collected taxes from Raven Camoran in the first Thieves' Guild special mission. Wouldn't the usage of a known noble surname rouse suspicion due to his choice of residence?
Marion Geneste

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 7:33 am

I believe that Mankar's daughter is named Ruma.

What I want to know is why the Imperial Guard wasn't suspicious when they collected taxes from Raven Camoran in the first Thieves' Guild special mission. Wouldn't the usage of a known noble surname rouse suspicion due to his choice of residence?

They let a Celia Camoran take an Elder Scroll. Apparently there are more people with that surname.
James Rhead

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:16 am

I believe that Mankar's daughter is named Ruma.
They let a Celia Camoran take an Elder Scroll. Apparently there are more people with that surname.

But a Valenwood royal going to the Imperial Library to read MacGuffins is much more feasible than a Valenwood royal living in squalid dockside shanties.
DarkGypsy

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 12:04 pm

Thank you for the input so far, especially you, honored Word Merchant.

MadCat, perhaps it is simply that Hieronymus Lex is not particularly well versed in his Valenwood nobility. Sure, he probably recognizes the name of the Usurper, but government grunts don't have to be well-versed in history enough to know more than that. :shrug:

Does anyone else have any opinions on the matter? I'm curious as to who, or what, the twins really are.
Trey Johnson

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:07 am

This is what MK had to say on the matter:

Ruma gave birth to herself, and her father was the father. She also gave birth to her brother, but he is not her son.

EDIT: The above should read, "...but he is not her son, for Mankar is." Otherwise, it would've been confusing.

I think this could make more sense if one considers where one first meets Ruma and Raven Camoran, and what that place really is.
Mr.Broom30

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 1:53 am

This is what MK had to say on the matter:

I think this could make more sense if one considers where one first meets Ruma and Raven Camoran, and what that place really is.

I first met Raven in a sewer. It....is a depository for poo?

I first met Ruma at the Mythic Dawn shrine. It.....is a cult center?

Explain, please.
Marion Geneste

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:50 am

Explain, please.

He meant Paradise.
Dorian Cozens

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:07 am

I first met Raven in a sewer. It....is a depository for poo?

I first met Ruma at the Mythic Dawn shrine. It.....is a cult center?

Explain, please.

Never mind, I forgot we meet them earlier in the game too. I was talking about Mankar's Paradise. I am far too busy now, but will expound later.
Lillian Cawfield

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:15 am

What WAS Paradise, anyway, a pocket realm in Oblivion that Dagon gave Mankar mythic dominion over to shape as he pleased? I'm afraid I missed that discussion.
Batricia Alele

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:00 am

Never mind, I forgot we meet them earlier in the game too. I was talking about Mankar's Paradise. I am far too busy now, but will expound later.

Please do. I would like to know as well.
naomi

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 2:53 pm

Paradise is a womb?
Juliet

Post » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:00 am

Depends on how you see it. But yes it could be considered a womb.

One reason: It's "his own" creation therefor "his laws" will rule it.
maddison

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion