Who wrote the music for Daggerfall?

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 8:44 am

It's truly quite interesting and rewarding to receive email time to time from fans who appreciate the Daggerfall soundtrack. I'm amazed really. And it's even more astonishing when I hear that most of you experienced it with a SoundBlaster. (I originally composed using a Roland GM Sound Canvas and then converted files to the blaster). I can only assume the reason for its enduring popularity lies in the strength of the game's design, which is a credit to Julian Lefay, and the folks at Bethesda Softworks.

You're too modest to say it, so I will. It actually lies in a gift for melody that cannot be taught (or disguised by lo-fi equipment). Not many things are perfect, but I'm telling you, that is. And I am a very tough critic.

I appreciate your defense of Soule...I just don't think he fashions good fits with video games. He may do a nice movie soundtrack some day...you don't have to be Randy Newman to be good.

I have just finished an arrangement of 'Oversnow' for the smaller ensemble and am considering pieces now for the chamber orchestra.

I wonder, is "Oversnow" the one that that Turkish guitar player did? That was the best melody in a group of very good ones.
Facebook me

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 6:26 pm

Wow, yet again I am amazed by the dedication and pure 'down to earth-ness' of the people that created this wonderful game. Never would I expect the composer of some of the greatest music tracks I've ever heard to take the time out of their life, sign up on a forum, just to acknowledge some fans of a game. Especially 10+ years later. Thats truly dedication. Your music tracks are phenomenal and they continually amaze me at how well they sound, no matter the hardware.

Now, to get you back into TES instead this Soule stuff!
Jack Bryan

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 9:32 pm

I do hope Bethesda will contact him for the next game.

He made a great game almost perfect.
Sophh

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 5:02 am

It would be awesome to hear authentic MP3s of the Roland GM soundtrack and the new arrangements too.
Emerald Dreams

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 7:35 pm

Wow, yet again I am amazed by the dedication and pure 'down to earth-ness' of the people that created this wonderful game. Never would I expect the composer of some of the greatest music tracks I've ever heard to take the time out of their life, sign up on a forum, just to acknowledge some fans of a game. Especially 10+ years later. Thats truly dedication. Your music tracks are phenomenal and they continually amaze me at how well they sound, no matter the hardware.

I wish Allerleirauh and Rhedd could have seen this thread, since I think they were fans of Daggerfall.
Laurenn Doylee

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 6:09 am

Very nice to see a post by Eric himself here, great that he made the time to write that. As a Daggerfall fan, and as a musician, I have nothing but admiration for his work.
Kat Stewart

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 10:42 pm

Hello, Eric Heberling here. A forum member has sent me a link to the recent posts which I have just read.

so yeah, do that petition thing, that would be great :-)

I just thought it would be a good idea. Nice that you visited and learned (again) how much some people like your work. Of course, this is not the first time your music is discussed during these years here, and occasionally someone mentiones as a side note how s/he misses the good old sound tracks and songs.

So, is the petition starting soon? I think petitions were banned but now it's time to bend some rules :)
james tait

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 10:14 am

It's truly quite interesting and rewarding to receive email time to time from fans who appreciate the Daggerfall soundtrack. I'm amazed really. And it's even more astonishing when I hear that most of you experienced it with a SoundBlaster.

"appreciate" is a weak word in this case. The Daggerfall melodies rocks :rock:.
I can't imagine playing Daggerfall without them.
Many players are also personally using the musics with the new TES games, replacing the Morrowind or Oblivion musics with the Daggerfall ones, because simply they are so good :D
Alkira rose Nankivell

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 2:44 am

It seems that all the original Elder Scroll team was banished after Daggerfall, or what? LeFay, Peterson, Heberling, all worked on Arena on Daggerfall and not on Morrowind and Oblivion, though Peterson did write some of the Morrowind books. It seems evident why the Elder Scrolls are so different now...

Lefay continued on the series after Daggerfall, through Battlespire and Redguard. And no one was banished. Just moved on.
Tyrel

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 8:30 pm

Lefay continued on the series after Daggerfall, through Battlespire and Redguard. And no one was banished. Just moved on.
Where is he now? Where are you now? Conjuring good ideas in a dark room somewhere? :ninja:
Jessie

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 3:31 am

I know, I was not serious when I said 'banished'. I was, however, when I said it explains the strong differences in essence between the first two Elder Scroll games and the last two.
Nice one

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 6:05 pm

Sorry for performing thread necromancy, but it seems like the arrangement he mentioned he was doing for a student has been finished and is on his http://heberlingmusic.com/audio.html. It's down at the bottom, named "Daggerfall suite".
Da Missz

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 8:52 pm

Sorry for performing thread necromancy, but it seems like the arrangement he mentioned he was doing for a student has been finished and is on his http://heberlingmusic.com/audio.html. It's down at the bottom, named "Daggerfall suite".

Mmmm, that is nice :)

I've been having trouble converting the original midi to mp3 or other easily playable/burnable types, so this is good.
Alexander Horton

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 10:50 pm

Beautiful work.

Jormungandr - Your best bet would be, and forgive me for this, playing them in Daggerfall Jukebox and ripping them via Audacity (record "Wave Out Mix"). It'd be messy but the only way to produce an MP3 of it that I know of.
Cash n Class

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 7:18 pm

D'oh! He spelled it Dagerfall. Fine music though.
Sarah Unwin

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 6:35 am

Also, the perception that I am more a 'sound designer' than a composer is a mistaken one. For many years the two disciplines have gone hand-in-hand.

This is too true. When I went to go see Eric Brosius (Thief music) talk a year ago at BC, it made me realize that he did everything involved with the sound, which was amazing considering the magnitude of that task. Too bad he is now working for Guitar Hero.

About the musical scene and smack talk about Jeremy Soule- he is OK, not horrible. We cannot expect perfection at every turn.
Cagla Cali

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Daggerfall Suite sounds fantastic. Totally different from games that came after. I especially love the portion with the inn themes.
Kelly Upshall

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 8:29 pm

Awesome ^_^
Roy Harris

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 7:24 am

As a longtime Guild Wars fan since the original came out 3 years ago, I have to say I enjoy Jeremy Soule's work. I didn't care much for Guild Wars: Factions and Nightfall, but then again, any veteran loved the original campaign much more.

I feel Jeremy Soule is a great composer, his songs truly give you a feel of "epicness". That's the problem, I'm afraid. His music is great for themes and battles, but I feel that Eric's musical score bears a multitude of complexities and small details beneath the surface, that you never find in Soule's music.

I enjoy both of them, I think Soule's music for Oblivion and Morrowind is alright, though I would indeed prefer Eric back.
Laura-Jayne Lee

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 9:43 pm

I feel Jeremy Soule is a great composer, his songs truly give you a feel of "epicness".

I felt a little 'epicness' from Morrowind, and nothing but cheap, forced attempts, in Oblivion. It is important for a sound designer to be multi-dimensional mixing well the epic and the ambient whilst maintaining the atmospheric. Its not easy.
Adriana Lenzo

Post » Fri May 27, 2011 8:04 pm

I like "Wings of Kynareth" in Oblivion. I don't really care about most of the other tunes.

The Daggerfall tunes were perfect. Their nostalgia-inducing potential is rivaled only by those from UW2. :)
XPidgex Jefferson

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 6:07 am

The only game score to compare with with Daggerfall for me is Vanguard:Saga of Heroes.

http://www.toddmasten.com/music.htm
Marine Arrègle

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 6:29 am

I felt a little 'epicness' from Morrowind, and nothing but cheap, forced attempts, in Oblivion.

Cheap, indeed...it couldn't've cost much to download the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack for...er...inspiration.
Maddy Paul

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 12:50 am

Sorry for performing thread necromancy, but it seems like the arrangement he mentioned he was doing for a student has been finished and is on his site. It's down at the bottom, named "Daggerfall suite".

Whoa thanks for this link! :D
If I was a conductor with infinite money, I'd gather myself the largest orchestra possible and I'd remake those songs.

I like Jeremy Soule for his works on Morrowind, Guild Wars and Warhammer 40K : Dawn of War.
Oblivion songs were cool, but didn't fit the Tamriel atmosphere at all.
Ella Loapaga

Post » Sat May 28, 2011 1:08 am

I felt a little 'epicness' from Morrowind, and nothing but cheap, forced attempts, in Oblivion.

Cheap, indeed...it couldn't've cost much to download the Pirates of the Caribbean soundtrack for...er...inspiration.

Pirates of the Caribbean in turn just borrowed from from Gladiator.
(And after doing a little research, I guess that 'borrowing' was OK :
Zimmer and Badelt wrote most of [Pirates of the Caribbean]'s themes...
Zimmer of course wrote the music for Gladiator.)

I concur partially with what Cliffworms said about Oblivion's music being cool- some of the stuff is OK (besides the Title making me want to :yuck: ) and if you get lucky (in the right place at the right time) some of the stuff might fit.

Maybe something could be said about the mediums each composer had at their disposal. Composing for MIDIs is a lot different than composing for an orchestra. I might suggest that the orchestra might force a composer to tend towards 'the epic', whereas the MIDI allows for much greater focus on atmosphere. Both can be excellent, however...
Chris Guerin

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion