Why can't I change some Video Settings?

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:08 pm

Hi guys!

I've been fiddling with my graphics bc. my FPS where horrible. Turned out that reducing resolution worked best! :rolleyes:

However, some (not all) of the in-game video settings don't take, even after saving and restarting, specifically:

- Actor Fade
- Item Fade
- Object Fade

aswell as:

- Int. Shadow
- Ext. Shadow
- Shadow Filtering

I assume one of the tweak/optimization/improvement mods outranks these in-game settings. However i dont know which. I added pretty much anything that was recommended to offered visual improvements without too much performance reduction:

Streamline
Operation Optimization
Stutter Remover
Cobl
Quarls 3 Redimized
All Natural
Better Cities
Unique Landscapes
RAEVWD
All Unofficial Patches

the lack of shadows i find the most unpleasant, everything seems kinda drab and 2dimensional.
Lucie H

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:03 am

Streamline. It adjusts your settings on the fly in order to give you FPS. Turn off the StreamSmooth setting from the INI.
Shae Munro

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:39 pm

If you have your Streamline and Oblivion Stutter Remover settings at default, your FPS will be capped twice over, so to speak. That is, they can - and will, by default - both perform that function. Unless you want Streamline adjusting FPS and LOD / texture quality (etc.) you would be better off only using the Purge and Save functions it offers, and letting OSR handle the FPS "smoothing".

When you say "horrible", with regards to FPS, what do you mean exactly? If it is "only" 30, or thereabouts, that is not only fairly normal for a heavily modded game, but also inevitable by virtue of having the forementioned mods set up without any adjustment.

Also, ditch Operation Optimization. It will do you no good, at best.

edit: See here -> http://tescosi.com/wiki/Oblivion:Stabilization_and_Optimization_Mods#FPS_and_Memory_Management ... for further info.
sara OMAR

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:45 am

If you have your Streamline and Oblivion Stutter Remover settings at default, your FPS will be capped twice over, so to speak. That is, they can - and will, by default - both perform that function. Unless you want Streamline adjusting FPS and LOD / texture quality (etc.) you would be better off only using the Purge and Save functions it offers, and letting OSR handle the FPS "smoothing".

When you say "horrible", with regards to FPS, what do you mean exactly? If it is "only" 30, or thereabouts, that is not only fairly normal for a heavily modded game, but also inevitable by virtue of having the forementioned mods set up without any adjustment.

Also, ditch Operation Optimization. It will do you no good, at best.

edit: See here -> http://tescosi.com/wiki/Oblivion:Stabilization_and_Optimization_Mods#FPS_and_Memory_Management ... for further info.

By "horrible" I mean UNDER 10 FPS (!!!!) when outside, meaning not in cities. It got so bad that sometimes my PC just gave in and Oblivion CTD'd.

I'll take a closer look at Streamline + OSR and OO and get back to you.
TRIsha FEnnesse

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:56 am

Alright, I did what you said, tweaked the Streamline ini to accomodate OSR. I guess I'll have to play for a while to see whether CTDs go down. But while looking at that Streamline ini I couldnt find anything regarding shadows.

Oh, and concerning my FPS, its at an acceptable level of around 20+ now, but I still think that is mostly bc I reduced distance viewing to 80% ingame as well as reducing resolution from 1920 to 1440. To make up for the lower rez i set AA to x4 in my graphics card driver, and honestly, it looks totally acceptable.

--------------

1) Why exactly do you think Operation Optimization wont work? it has been recommended in several places. If it is really useless or even harmful i'd rather remove it!

2) Are you by any chance a wiz concerning LOD? How best to max it without performance loss? (concerning my mods see above)
Nicole Coucopoulos

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:59 am

Hey, how exactly do I go about that, please? I need to work that out, too.
NO suckers In Here

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:44 pm

sorry for the double post :/
Joanne Crump

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:33 pm

I found Streamline's constant adjusting of video settings to be annoying, and (at least on the version I had last) would cause CTDs while the Player was outside, because it would freak out trying to adjust to many things too fast. I found it much better to manually set the video settings at a level that gave me the best quality at an acceptable FPS (like a normal person, hehe). And even with Streamsmooth disabled, I swear it messed with OBGE in weird ways. I liked the streamsave feature, but I replaced that with Kuertee's http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22136 and deleted Streamline completely.
Skrapp Stephens

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:15 pm

I found Streamline's constant adjusting of video settings to be annoying, and (at least on the version I had last) would cause CTDs while the Player was outside, because it would freak out trying to adjust to many things too fast. I found it much better to manually set the video settings at a level that gave me the best quality at an acceptable FPS (like a normal person, hehe). And even with Streamsmooth disabled, I swear it messed with OBGE in weird ways. I liked the streamsave feature, but I replaced that with Kuertee's http://www.tesnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=22136 and deleted Streamline completely.

Help, I'm not getting any Anti-Aliasing!

This happened after I updated my AMD Radeon graphics card driver ("AMD Vision Engine Control Center", dumb name). Before, I deactivated AA in the ingame video settings, then activated them in the driver, worked like a charm!

Also, any ingame video settings dont stick, the change constantly.

1) Should I shut down Streamline/OSR?

2) maybe change some settings in the INI?
Nick Tyler

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:40 pm

If you're running OBGE, sometimes it can conflict with AA. Otherwise, try downloading ATI Tray Tools and forcing your AA setting in there instead.

The video settings changing is due to Streamline's Streamsmooth feature. Look at the Streamline INI file and change the main setting for Streamsmooth from 1 to 0.
Mrs Pooh

Return to IV - Oblivion