Why did Bethesda remove levitate spell? + Mark & Recall

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:58 pm

Recently I was wondering if anyone knew why Bethesda removed levitation from skyrim + oblivion, I mean really this spell was very useful and it made the game so much better. As for mark and recall I agree on the same accommodations on why they removed these spells. I just want to know about this because it was such a good thing for this game. I do not know if there is a thread for this already as im more on the morrowind forums then skyrim.. I just want to know why would you remove the best spells after The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind.

Thanks,

Ezio Auditore

Bedford White

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:39 am

Bethesda removed Levitate when they introduced cities in their own world spaces (Tribunal, Oblivion, Skyrim). I do not know why they removed Mark and Recall.

Emilie Joseph

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:26 am

Well removing levitation from the game just because cities, is very weird because I know tribunal you couldn't levitate. plus its the city of magic and the city of light. I do understand this though, I just thought maybe they just didn't figure people would want the spell in the next game. Really why would you remove the 3 best spells in my opinion?

katsomaya Sanchez

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 9:56 pm

Levitate was removed so people couldn't get over city walls. The empire also banned it.
Oceavision

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:16 am

It seems weird because them banning the levitation spell is just odd in my opinion because a wizard could of done that spell. For a better fly over the wall purpose I mean why wouldn't you want levitation. I mean I bet theres a mod out there for it, but I don't ever mess with mods that add spells so i'd have no interest in that at all. I just think it's weird because the 3 best spells you say poof to.

Andrea P

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:09 pm

If you really want levitation there is a way to do it in Skyrim.
roxanna matoorah

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:56 am

Well, as pointed out levitation was removed due to cities having their own world space. People would be levitating over cities walls and then panicking that something was wrong with the game and then complaining that it was broken.

Though, they could have scripted things to just prevent levitation in cities. Don't know how reliable that would have been though.

As for mark and recall. I think I read something that it was removed to stop you recalling out of dungeons that you were required to progress through to the end, thus breaking the scripting.

Nathan Maughan

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:01 am

Well mark and recall were one of my favorite spells and it just svcks not to have the best of 3 spells removed right out of the game. It's just I would play those games more if those spells existed, I did love both of the games that didn't have it. I wish they would of kept the spells though no reason to remove it. I mean morrowind was it's own world space and you could levitate everywhere, except for the tribunal part of morrowind.

kevin ball

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:08 pm

Cities were all part of the Vvardenfell world space in that game (i.e. there were no loading screens when you entered Balmora or Ald-ruhn). It was all one continuous landscape.

Oblivion's towns were in separate cells. They were not part of the Cyrodiil landscape. If you had been able to levitate over Chorrol's walls you would have seen virtually nothing inside the city. No NPCs, no streets, no bushes, no nothing. A few primitive boxes in the shape of buildings that look like they belonged in a game that came out in 1994, and that's about it.

Levitation was taken out to prevent players from seeing that there's nothing on the other side of the walls.

Andrew Lang

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:40 am

Now I see what you mean. So like if I went over anvil wall with tcl I could see nothing but the exterior of the building. I thank you a lot, for providing this information, I didn't know they were in different world spaces. For mark and recall I still don't know why, I don't believe it was removed just to leave dungeons when your on a quest I believe there are other reasons of the mark and recall spells.

Syaza Ramali

Post » Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:31 am

Just playing Skyrim, and I'm also missing these spells.

To be fair though, levitation spell was in my opinion kinda to strong. You could just fly above any stronger mele npc. and nuke him to dead with no risk of dying what so ever. Still it was a lot of fun, much more than mounts imo.

My theory about removing mark and recall is that they removed it just because they wanted to make game simpler. I am not speaking about dumbing down etc. but the fact is that (almost) every game designers these days want to make their games more simple and more accessible (so poor console gamers wouldn't feel to confused) :smile:. With fast travel option they could remove most of the teleportation spells like Divane Intervention, Almsivi Intervention, and sadly they removed also Mark + Recall.

Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:50 pm

Honestly while I prefer magic in TES games, as a history buff I was more disappointed by the removal of spears.

Hopefully levitation returns in TES VI on next gen, but I doubt it.

Kim Bradley

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:56 pm

It will probably return when consoles are powerful enough to have cities entered and exited without a loading screen.
Samantha Jane Adams

Post » Mon Nov 04, 2013 5:29 pm

In addition to the city problem all three had to be removed because they broke too many situations, quests and dungeons. It is hard to write good quest and battle situations when you can simply pop out of a dungeon or fly around the room being untouchable.

They could have brought it in but made it very limited: like you can levitate for a few seconds but in a cross legged pose with no ability to fight. I don't know what purpose it would serve though.

Trish

Return to V - Skyrim