Why did I level up this way?

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:48 pm

I swear I made a post on this but I can't find it. I think my computer crashed and the post didn't go through. Just in case it did go through and I can't find it, please forgive me for making another post like this.

Now that Oblivion is backwards compatible with Xbox One, I want to play again. I installed it. Now I remember when I played last time, I hated when I got the 5X bonuses I just leveled up way to fast and the game became unfun. I clearly remember choosing my major stats (sorry if I got the names wrongs) with skills I don't use a lot and the skills I do use a lot they were my minor stats. This way when I leveled up I would choose the 1X bonuses.

Also I have chosen one stat in each skill, so one had something to do with intelligence, another strength etc. Thing is I don't remember why I did this and now can't make a character because I can't remember what and why I used.

Does this sound familiar to you? Do you understand? Can you please explain it to me? I tried going on the wiki and it doesn't remind me at all why I did this.

Another question, I clearly remember playing with the Antronach sign. You don't regenerate magika that way correct? I can't remember if we rested 1 hour if our magika returned? Is this the case? I role played this as doing my medical skills to get better and depending on the servity of it, I would rest 6 hours or 18 depending on my wounds. I just want to make sure it's Oblivion that did this and not Morrowind or another game I am thinking of.

Samantha Pattison

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:49 pm

Here are a couple of UESP pages on Oblivion leveling to help you refresh your memory about leveling:

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Leveling

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Oblivion:Efficient_Leveling

Carlitos Avila

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks Pseron Wyrd for the links. I read one of them missed the other. Still stumped why I choose skills I don't use as major though.

Since it's been ages since I played last, maybe I should just play and enjoy the game and don't worry about leveling again. Just wish I remembered why I rage quit a 100 game because I went to 5X all the time when I leveled up.

Thema

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:34 am

The reason to choose skills that you don't use often as majors is specifically to delay leveling and ensure that you DO get 5x multipliers every time you level up.

If you are playing to optimize a character's stats and get three +5s every time, and you want to control exactly which stats you are going to raise each time, then you pick 1 skill from each attribute as mains, leaving 2 skills from each attribute as secondaries. Then you spend your time leveling up those secondary skills enough to get enough increases overall to get the +5s.

It sounds like you are remembering that type of gameplay, but didn't like it.

Marine Arrègle

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:51 pm

I think you are right Erlendur. I think I was looking for +1s but can't remember how to do so now.

Gemma Archer

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:09 pm

If you only want to level up your attributes by +1 each level, then pick attributes that you did not raise any associated skills for. Even 1 point in one skill would give you a +2 for that attribute.

As to why you would want to do that, I can't possibly imagine. If you are a swordsman who never uses magic, then you'd be stuck raising, Intelligence, Willpower, and Personality each time since you would probably get skill increases in strength, speed, agility, and endurance as a melee fighter.

I can understand not necessarily trying to get +5 each time, but restricting yourself to only +1s seems not only impossible but also illogical to attempt.

Franko AlVarado

Post » Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:20 am

I may have misunderstood what you are suggesting but it sounds like you are assigning +1 bonuses at level up time when there are higher level bonuses available. If you do that, your character is going to quickly become unplayable. The world levels up every time you do and their bonuses reflect their special abilities. Unless your attributes keep up, you will find it difficult to survive.

Some players who don't like glass and daedric armor will slow the leveling of the game by having major skills that do not reflect what they actually do in the game. Even if you do that, sooner or later you will likely still hit a new level. When that happens you can either use the PC console to reset your stats, load an older save game or take the points you've earned and move on.

Personally, I like playing at higher levels and even when my character seems overpowered, I know from experience the game can suddenly turn deadly.

casey macmillan

Return to IV - Oblivion