Why no Dwarves in TES?

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:25 pm

Why is this? I was hoping to hear about Bethesda adding this as a race in the upcoming Skyrim, but as far as I know they are keeping the standard 10 races...

Has this ever been discussed? Will this ever be a possibility?
Carlos Rojas

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 pm

Go read http://www.imperial-library.info/content/definitive-guide-dwemer and you will understand. Bethesda decided to actually come up with their own take on "dwarves" instead of copy and pasting like most fantasy settings.
Anna Watts

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:32 pm

Go read http://www.imperial-library.info/content/definitive-guide-dwemer and you will understand. Bethesda decided to actually come up with their own take on "dwarves" instead of copy and pasting like most fantasy settings.

That's an interesting read, but in Oblivion for example, you can get Dwarven weapons, and armor, they should have named it Dwemer instead, yeah?
Still though I'd love to play as a "Dwemer" in a future TES game.
DAVId Bryant

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:29 pm

Someone never played Morrowind. ;)

It's one of the most discussed things in all of Elder Scrolls lore!

Will the Dwemer ever be a playable race? Sadly, no. Though not entirely sad since it's best to leave them the mystery that they are. They are, however, much much cooler than any Dwarves I've ever heard of from any other fantasy setting.

That's an interesting read, but in Oblivion for example, you can get Dwarven weapons, and armor, they should have named it Dwemer instead, yeah?

No, technically. Men refer to them as Dwarves, Mer refer to them as Dwemer. Same as men refer to Dunmer as Dark Elf, Altmer as High Elf, and Bosmer as Wood Elf. So in Cyrodiil, Dwarven Armor is more appropriate.
LuCY sCoTT

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:08 am

Actually, playing as a Dwemer would be awesome - maybe a prequel which reveals the lore, like Redguard?

Hell yes!
carla

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:06 pm

Actually, playing as a Dwemer would be awesome - maybe a prequel which reveals the lore, like Redguard?

Hell yes!

I'm not sure if I would like that. Part of what makes them interesting is the mystery wrapped around them. Nobody wants them to be metechloranized.
Elina

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm not sure if I would like that. Part of what makes them interesting is the mystery wrapped around them. Nobody wants them to be metechloranized.

Yeah, I feel really conflicted about the Dwemer coming back in any way and about playing as one. On one hand, I enjoy the mystery surrounding them. They're very intriguing to me and I think if the mystery gets solved it will take away some of the appeal. On the other hand, the Dwemer are my favorite Tamrielic race and from what I can tell, their beliefs and general personalities match up a lot with my own, and they look really cool judging from concept art and ghosts. I'd love to play as one.
Claire Lynham

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:18 pm

Yeah, I feel really conflicted about the Dwemer coming back in any way and about playing as one. On one hand, I enjoy the mystery surrounding them. They're very intriguing to me and I think if the mystery gets solved it will take away some of the appeal. On the other hand, the Dwemer are my favorite Tamrielic race and from what I can tell, their beliefs and general personalities match up a lot with my own, and they look really cool judging from concept art and ghosts. I'd love to play as one.

It's quite the conundrum! I definitely do not want them to come back. If you can ever play as one it should be in a prequel.
Claire Lynham

Post » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:29 am

It's quite the conundrum! I definitely do not want them to come back. If you can ever play as one it should be in a prequel.

Yeah, if I had to pick, I'd opt for the Dwemer to never come back. Though I wish there was a way to solve the mystery of their disappearances for certain, but only those that study deep into their culture and into the ruins of both Morrowind and Skyrim and study the books and translate the languages and all that, only those who do these things will be able to solve it.

...and that also no one on TES wikis or the Imperial Library or any forums are allowed to talk about it so only those who did the work know for sure. :P

But oh well. I'm happy with the mystery, and I'm excited for whatever is to be learned from the Dwemer of Skyrim, however small that new information may be.
Crystal Birch

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:35 am

Yeah, if I had to pick, I'd opt for the Dwemer to never come back. Though I wish there was a way to solve the mystery of their disappearances for certain, but only those that study deep into their culture and into the ruins of both Morrowind and Skyrim and study the books and translate the languages and all that, only those who do these things will be able to solve it.

...and that also no one on TES wikis or the Imperial Library or any forums are aloud to talk about it so only those who did the work know for sure. :P

But oh well. I'm happy with the mystery, and I'm excited for whatever is to be learned from the Dwemer of Skyrim, however small that new information may be.

How do we know that's not the case?! Conspiracy! :o Call Nick Cage and let's get to delving into Dwemer lore in-game! :P
Marguerite Dabrin

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:34 am

There was Dwarves called the Dwemer who were a race of Mer/Elves and where of human height just they had beards where technoligicaly advanced,and the vanished no where to be found all that remains is their machines,cities,weapons and armours,
carley moss

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:46 pm

on thing I hate about Oblivion, they call Dwemer Dwarves, and to almost no extent are they, and we have no idea they are just gone, hopefully we will find out in this game
and no the number of races is staying at 10, plus we couldn't be a dwarf, they are all dead
Melly Angelic

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:29 pm

on thing I hate about Oblivion, they call Dwemer Dwarves, and to almost no extent are they, and we have no idea they are just gone, hopefully we will find out in this game
and no the number of races is staying at 10, plus we couldn't be a dwarf, they are all dead

Oblivion calls them Dwarves because the Imperials call them Dwarves, just like they call every Mer by a different name. A race of giants originally called them Dwarves since they were by comparison.

And they aren't "dead" necessarily, they just vanished without a trace. And hopefully we never found out. :o
Frank Firefly

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:42 am

If you mean Dwarves like the typical D and D Dwarf, then I'm extremely glad those were never incorporated into the Elder Scrolls. I absolutely hate the whole dwarf/warrior concept of D and D. I wouldn't mind it if Dwarves were normal characters like gnomes or something that were maybe master craftsman, but didn't really fight or anything. To me the idea just seems kind of stupid. Gimli, from the Lord of the Rings, was about the only Dwarf I could stand. And that was only because he was funny, I still didn't like the idea that he was half the size of a man, but was able to fight off hordes of Orcs. Seriously, he'd have no reach, and would just get stepped on..

The Dwemer, I thought, were a brilliant creation, and easily the most interesting race in the Elder Scrolls. It was great to have such an interesting new group of people, and for me was really a breath of fresh air into the whole medieval fantasy realm. Of course I suppose you could say that with the entirety of the Elder Scrolls, as they've done an excellent job establishing a very unique world that often strays from the typical D and D concepts.
RAww DInsaww

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:44 pm

I don't understand it myself, especially since there are Dwarven armor and weapons... Did the Dwarves die off, or something?
NeverStopThe

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:13 pm

I don't understand it myself, especially since there are Dwarven armor and weapons... Did the Dwarves die off, or something?

Dwarf is the imperial world for Dwemer. It's the same thing. Dwarven Armor = Dwemer armor. But TES's 'dwarves' are nothing like the typical fantasy dwarf. They weren't even short. It's just another (elven!) race, with a passion for technology.
Robert Jr

Post » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:28 am

If you ever played Morrowind, you'd find plenty of hints, but no definitive answer as to what finally happened. Apparently, they made some sort of attempt at transcending mortality, and vanished during the middle of the Battle of Red Mountain, according to the Telvanni wizards most knowledgable about the subject. Nobody's quite sure if it worked or not, and the clues are inconclusive.
Francesca

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:28 pm

The Dwemer were one of three races vying for control of Morrowind in ancient history. The other were the Nords of Skyrim and the Chimer, pilgrims who broke off from the ancestors of Altmer. The Chimer eventually won the war and became Dunmer. The Dwemer disappeared by trying to make themselves Gods..or maybe they succeeded. It's impossible to tell what happened as there are multiple conflicting reports.

They never were short. They were about the same height as Dunmer, with golden skin and long curled beards. They were only called Dwarves by a race of giants who once lived near them but who are now extinct or who moved some place else.
Andrew Tarango

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:12 pm

If you ever played Morrowind, you'd find plenty of hints, but no definitive answer as to what finally happened. Apparently, they made some sort of attempt at transcending mortality, and vanished during the middle of the Battle of Red Mountain, according to the Telvanni wizards most knowledgable about the subject. Nobody's quite sure if it worked or not, and the clues are inconclusive.

The Dwemer were one of three races vying for control of Morrowind in ancient history. The other were the Nords of Skyrim and the Chimer, pilgrims who broke off from the ancestors of Altmer. The Chimer eventually won the war and became Dunmer. The Dwemer disappeared by trying to make themselves Gods..or maybe they succeeded. It's impossible to tell what happened as there are multiple conflicting reports.

They never were short. They were about the same height as Dunmer, with golden skin and long curled beards. They were only called Dwarves by a race of giants who once lived near them but who are now extinct or who moved some place else.

I knew that Dwemer was the real name for dwarves, but I never knew the history surrounding them. This is interesting--thanks for clearing up the confusion! :)
[ becca ]

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:58 pm

they shuld remain a mystery. i dont want them to come back. plus i dont like playing as dwarves anyway. there is no reason for that class here. they wuldnt really specialize in anything that someone else alreayd doesnt. especially since there is no skill for making mechanical objectsw in TES.
Sian Ennis

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:06 am

There are dwarves! Well... One, at least. The Spider-Dwarve! He lives in Divayth Fyrs Corpusarium! http://images.uesp.net//thumb/d/d2/MW-creature-Yagrum_Bagarn.jpg/600px-MW-creature-Yagrum_Bagarn.jpg, I'll never forget you. :wub:
Talitha Kukk

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:53 pm

just make a really short character... :tongue:
Stat Wrecker

Post » Wed Feb 02, 2011 1:39 am

The Dwarves were only short if you were a giant, like Karstaag. They came up to about his knee. But they come up to about our heads.
Dark Mogul

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:43 pm

Quests revolving around them would be nice.

You'd be requested to assist some researcher in his work,and collect clues about dwemer on some topic about them,like why they created a certain machine or something about their culture.You'd advance and get close to solving the issue,only to suddenly run out of them and be left in the dark again.There'd be several of such quests in each game,but never revealing the answer to what happened to them exactly.

Brrr....I felt so TES right now...
Alyna

Post » Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:22 pm

Will the Dwemer ever be a playable race? Sadly, no.

You know, only a few months ago people would have said the same thing about dragons if someone were to ask if there would ever be dragons in the games. If Bethesda ever decide to bring back the Dwemer nothing we say will stop them.
Mandi Norton

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion