Why isn't TES 6 in development?

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 3:47 am

An interesting read -

http://www.glixel.com/interviews/skyrim-creator-todd-howard-talks-switch-vr-and-elder-scrolls-wait-w451761

Apologies if already been posted elsewhere in forums, had not come across it before.

Laurenn Doylee

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:43 am

I was gonna post that interview from glixel. Interesting read.
City Swagga

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:17 am

After reading the interview above, the part that really stood out for me was when Todd talked about updating both Fallout4 and Skyrim for the new Scorpio console.

Does this mean only a compatability update or a whole new special edition type update, aka selling the same game for the third time?

Also, I love the part where he says Skyrim will be exactly the same game on Switch.

Don't you ever stop lying, you magnificent man.
Daniel Brown

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:23 am

I can understand the decision to delay TES VI if it means a brand new engine (no more polishing the old one) and some extra work on AI. Skyrim was beautifully made but it ran into a lot of limitations that stem from the physics and AI it uses.

That said, it's been a really long time for their most successful game to get a sequel. If after 5 years they still haven't finished work on a new engine then they're just being slow.

Ross

Post » Sat Nov 26, 2016 4:54 pm

I dunno, I'd be happy to see a brand new IP by Bethesda. I agree with what is said about Bethesda not being a two button mashing machine.
Emily Jeffs

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:15 am

I have heard, that those 2 big projects are not really games, so was it said or not, that they are games? So I thought it was a new engine with VR / without, upgraded console versions and some mobile games.

Tessa Mullins

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:56 am

Yes it's been said that the two new projects are two brand new AAA video games the size of The Elder Scrolls video games and Fallout 3 and Fallout 4.

Benito Martinez

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:34 am

I don't know where this idea comes from that you can do all kinds of different things and still be at the top of your profession. Most scientists dedicate their life to a very specific area of research that might not even yield results during their lifetime. They don't decide halfway through that they want to branch out in a different area of science. I'm completely fine with Bethesda wanting to branch out a bit but that's not how you maintain your status as industry standard for RPG games. Creating something special requires a special kind of dedication and there's nothing wrong with that. And the sort of huge games that the TES series are definately require dedication.

Peetay

Post » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:32 pm

Just because The Elder Scrolls video games and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim sold so incredibly well for ZeniMax Media Inc., Bethesda Softworks, and Bethesda Game Studios. It doesn't mean they should be keeping on developing them forever.

Todd Howard is a human being and will get burnt out after twenty years and will want to take a break and do something else for about ten years.

Then Todd Howard will come back to developing The Elder Scrolls VI with a refreshment hopefully that The Elder Scrolls video games really desperately need.

Possibly even after The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt, now Bethesda Game Studios and Todd Howard is doing a evaluation on RPG video games more and taking notes from CD Projekt RED to have better written quests lines stories for The Elder Scrolls VI.

As well as other stuff of who knows what it will be.

Karen anwyn Green

Post » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:49 pm

I guess one of the 2 "new" projects is Fallout 4 VR and the other one is the "Fallout Shelter" of TES, which will be released close to the TES 6 launch.

Kyra

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:09 am

Nope, it's been said already that the two new projects are not Fallout 4 in Virtual Reality (VR) and not Fallout Shelter.

Todd Howard even said that they are developing some more brand new video games for the mobile phones, but they are not the ones that are AAA video games in size.

Romy Welsch

Post » Sat Nov 26, 2016 5:54 pm

Sure, and obviously you believe everything that Todd Howard says, even after the obvious distortions, misinformation, and outright lies before the last few games. He spouts the official policy lines, and when that policy changes tomorrow, he'll spout the new lines just as enthusiastically.

I'm reminded of some of the tech support people in India (not all, since some are quite competent) who are given 2 or 3 officially approved lines to repeat, and if your question or situation doesn't even remotely fall into one of those categories, they'll read one of them anyway, because that's all that they are allowed to say. Same as the one Philadelphia Internet Service Provider which had serious problems with down time and insufficient lines: "Try reinstalling Windows", which did absolutely nothing to solve the problem for the customer, but "solved" the excessive complaint problem for the ISP, until you took your business elsewhere; they eventually had to change their name because of their terrible reputation (and now do heavy TV advertising for customers they previously threw away). Lie and deny everything, until the customer takes their money elsewhere. Then Bethesda wonders why a company like Projekt Red is getting praise and a growing market share. If you're saying that you're not going to release the game that the customer is waiting for anytime soon, why shouldn't they buy something else?

If a company says "We're not in full development yet, but laying a lot of the necessary groundwork before the real activity starts next year, so you won't see it for a few more years.", instead of "No comment" or an outright lie, then you know that it's not happening right away, but are aware that its eventual release is "inevitable". As it is, we have regular threads about "Is TES gone?" or "Are they working on it?", and endless mostly-mindless speculation based on almost zero real evidence, or using clearly misleading statements by the official spokespeople as absolute facts.

rolanda h

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:09 am

Being ballowers100 theory the most misleading by far. Even if Todd says in the last posted interview that they will never stop releasing TES games...he will use his own thoughts to make us believe Todd is tired of TES. Why? Because ballowers100 says so.
jesse villaneda

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 7:09 am

I don't understand this too - why denying what is in development? What is the point anyway? The only reason I can imagine is the other companies, that they wouldn't steal the ideas and make something similar and release it just before they will manage to finish their project.

But it seems like they do share their ideas with some other studios anyway and the only one, who doesn't know are the players.

But I have to agree that Todd Howard was obviously tired in the interview I saw, but question is why - that players were criticizing Fallout 4, or the reason is something else?

I've got some wild theories:

There is a new design of Bethesda.net launcher released during the launch of Skyrim SE for their card game and for modding and the design is really far away from the traditional design of Bethesda games. And Fallout 4 itself looks like half RPG combined with non RPG trends. Also their focus on mobile games is a bit questionable - they said that it is something else what to do? But it is something, that was dictated to quite a lot of game studios owned by big companies, that used to do online games...

So the biggest fear is if delaying of Elderscrolls 6 isn't actually better for the game - maybe if it would be released now, it wouldn't be really RPG?

But if I'm realistic I really do think it is because of VR - the issue if it will be possible to use this for open world RPG.

cheryl wright

Post » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:58 pm

You think they want to make TES VI have VR support?

Alexxxxxx

Post » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:11 pm

Gamers seem to care more about shiny graphics and cool gimmicks than interesting gameplay or engaging stories and characters these days. Developers give the consumers what they want. So it would not surprise me if Bethesda is putting a lot of time and effort into VR. It will be a great marketing tool and sell lots of copies to the current generation of gamers.

Robert Garcia

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:48 am

Yeah, it stinks... I would honestly rather have a game with OK graphics but an amazing story then a game with an OK story but amazing graphics (also I'm not really into VR that much)

CORY

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:44 am

Well, look at the other extreme. Fable 1 and No Man's Sky were heavily featured by the media while they were in development. Not everything the devs talked about made it into the final product and the media put words in their mouths. The games were hyped to such a huge extent that they couldn't possibly live up to said hype. Just a confirmation about where TES6 is set would probably have these forums running wild with speculation and result in more disappointment than usual. In a way, Oblivion had this problem as Morrowind fans hyped it as Morrowind 2.0 before release, resulting in the massive backlash against what we got that still resonates through this forum.

Letting games pick up steam through word of mouth doesn't seem so bad in comparison.

Syaza Ramali

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:02 am

Minor adjustment: SOME gamers seem to care more about shiny graphics and cool gimmicks. Others are still playing older games, and even buying up MORE old games off of sites like Grand Old Games (gog), because the newer games are increasingly shallow and gimmicky, designed for a throwaway mentality of players who will buy it, spend 20-50 hours on it, and move on to the next new "shiny" toy. They won't stick around long enough to see 75% of what a "deeper" game has to offer. A few WILL, and that used to be the market that TES catered to. Most of my game purchases in the last 3 years have been games released more than 5 years ago, and a couple were from over a decade ago.

Note that many new games have intro sequences or initial quests that seem to show off every feature in the game at its finest, never mind that half of it will never be used again in the game. It's all about making the product look good for the early reviews, to sell as many copies as possible before potential buyers realize that the rest of the game is a waste of money. Enough players won't look past those initial highlights (or play past them) that it will get some decent ratings.....and then the ****storm starts here on the forums, once players begin to run out of stuff to do, or run into problems that weren't fixed.

I sometimes wish that Bethesda had released a totally new series of "mass consumer" games with simpler gameplay, independent of the more niche-oriented TES series. Unfortunately, that would probably have led to the abandonment of the TES series at some point, even if it remained the kind of game that the developers themselves would want to play. Switching off between such distinctly different series could avoid development team burnout, though.

Allison C

Post » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:13 pm

To me the most annoying part is when he said there is no tech yet. I dont know what you people think but that can be the most hyped comment ever.

So if we are saying that maybe this secrecy about TESVI is because they dont want to hype the game...sorry but by saying there is no tech yet...are u aware that is something with a lot of weight and responsability?

What in the world can they offer being that impossible now and possible in 2-3 years?If its vr...that could be worst than an arrow in the knee.
Charlotte Lloyd-Jones

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:21 am

Likely just compatibility. The Scorpio isn't a brand new console, just a more high-end Xbox One for the enthusiast like how the PS4 Pro is for the PS4.

RaeAnne

Post » Sat Nov 26, 2016 11:03 pm

an Non-disclosure agreement, it is in their contract to deny what they are working on until the marketing team is ready to do their part.. is the way Bethesda has always done it, they don't announce a game until its near completion meaning their staff is forbidden from saying "ohh yeah, we are working on this".. same reason they said "Fallout 4 isn't a thing we are working on" just a couple of months before they announced it..

jaideep singh

Post » Sat Nov 26, 2016 7:29 pm

What I say are theories?

Ok 2016 is almost over and at Bethesda Softworks E3 2016 conference there was no announcement by Bethesda Game Studios or Todd Howard of The Elder Scrolls VI. So far in 2016 there was no announcement of The Elder Scrolls VI in 2016 at all which is almost over.

You will see by E3 2017 there will still be no announcement of The Elder Scrolls VI.

Justin Hankins

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:34 am

Most likely, there won't be an announcement of TES VI at E3 in 2017, as you say, but I wouldn't rule out seeing that happening in 2018 or 2019. There's been enough time since FO4 for significant progress on it, and another 2 years is probably enough time for it to all come together, especially if it's been a "back burner" project for part of the team since the last Skyrim DLC. Then again, if something else takes first priority, and it gets pushed back to 2020 or 2021, that wouldn't be a surprise, but it would be a disappointment.

Either that, or Todd and company have been blowing smoke the whole time, and it'll be on the shelves late next year.

neil slattery

Post » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:12 am

Well I did say many times that by around 2019 to 2021 or 2023 ZeniMax Media Inc., Bethesda Softworks, and Bethesda Game Studios will release The Elder Scrolls VI for sale.

So you seem to agree with me somewhat...

So I don't understand why you are saying I'm wrong?

I'm a little bit confused now.

chirsty aggas

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion