Wierd problems with lag.

Post » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:09 pm

Hey people, I'm having some really wierd problems with Fallout 3 and severe framerate loss on my PC. Now this lag (contary to logic) manifests itself only in indoor cells. The Capital Wasteland and other open spaces such as Megaton, the Citadel courtyard and the roof of The Statesman Hotel are fine. According to Fraps, the framerate is about 25-30 in these places. But indoors is a different story. The lag is horrible! The framerate is round about 10 FPS in Rivet City and most buildings (such as the Megaton house). Places like caves, vaults and metro tunnels can be pretty bad, but not as bad as houses/shops. VATS can be laggy. Which makes me want to cry.

I don't really understand why this is happening, I would have thought that outdoors would be the worst due to the many objects and of course the terrain. But no. Even in Low quality visual mode it's still like this. And I don't blame a crap rig, it's not exactly built for gaming but complies with the minimum spec.

I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit and an AMD Athlon X2 processor with NVIDIA GeForce 8200M with 512MB of video memory and 3GB of RAM.

I just don't understand this, very odd. My computer can run games that would have thought to be more CPU intensive and arguably more GPU intensive too. Games using the Source engine for example do not lag on my computer. Not even with 100s of physics objects does the game lag. So that rules out Havok physics as a culprit.

I was thinking, is it maybe the AI need more processing power to process their movement algorithms in a confined space? Unlikely.

Oh and I don't run the game at my monitor's native resolution, if that makes a difference. The native is 15 inch 16:9 (1366x768) but I run the game in 1280x720.

Thakyou for your attention.

Mcelf
NIloufar Emporio

Return to Fallout 3