Will an ES Game Ever Have Climbing Again

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:14 pm

that'd be one additional material check when animations are about to be switched...

...a second check for object width, and maybe a third one for object type, or a keyword or something like that that marks an object not/climbable...

so that's 3 additional things to check. so, the problem was... where again...? :-)

tons of other (and far easier and more straightforward) ways to check that (see above for just a couple from the top of my head). definitely no markers necessarily required (and a marker approach is not a method of checking anyway, but a method to work AROUND having to check anything. it's the _opposite_ of checking actually.)

Ann Church

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 5:53 am

this.

player remains the same height.

Smokey

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:38 am

Because they're not crouching. They're sneaking. Totally different things. We don't have a crouch option in TES, though having one would be welcome.

Katie Samuel

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:19 pm

I could see this being especially cool in a Hammerfell setting! You could be able to climb city walls, ship rigging, ruins, and of course, ladders.
Shiarra Curtis

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:47 pm

daggerfall had crouching, which I think only had use for those not using mouse look. or for those roleplaying a dwarf or something.
C.L.U.T.C.H

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:17 pm

Doesnt doom have climbing of some sort

Was shocked wasnt in fallout 4. No ladders just lifts
Andres Lechuga

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:16 pm

The new Doom has ledge-grabbing... which is sort of like Climbing-Lite. It's quickly becoming the standard in FPS games, but it's something that only has limited application in a game like TES, or even Fallout. There isn't an abundance of 6-7 food high blocky platforms to clammer up on. It would be better than nothing, true, but a more robust system would be a far better use of time than just a token chin-up.

Marguerite Dabrin

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:29 am

It would still be awful nice, considering there are occasional platforming elements in Beth games and just having jump is extremely awkward.

Manuela Ribeiro Pereira

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:33 pm

Besides climbing, what are people's thoughts if new The Elder Scrolls video games had vaulting over obstacles, and rolling to dodge?

I mean have all four of these maneuvers added in the new The Elder Scrolls video games. Not add one maneuver and leave out the other, have them all so we can choose which ever one we want.

Climbing walls by grabbing ledges and also being able to fire a rope arrow from your bow or crossbow with a hook on top of the roofs of buildings and cliffs. Even use rope arrows to make bridges across rivers and cliffs. Of course you will have to purchase wooden planks and carry them to the destination or cut down trees and make the wooden planks yourself to make the bridges.

All of these features in the new The Elder Scrolls video games can make the exploration of their video game world maps a little bit more satisfying.

Josephine Gowing

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:53 pm

Yeah, I would love it! Fallout 4 already improved the vertical design, but coupled with climbing and more player v environment interaction would make great gameplay. The rope arrows and the noise arrows in Thief were so much fun to use, I think they would improve the stealth gameplay in TES as well.

Having vertical ladders for the player to climb in real time would be a good start. Gothic had this in 2001 for pete's sake, and Todd even made a joke about Bethesda and their inability to do ladders :)

Anyway, I hope if they improve this component for the next TES (climbing, grabbing ledges, platforming and alternate pathways via rooftops) they also make these mechanics fully available to the npc's as well. In Assassin's Creed the npc's will throw things at the player and climb the ladders and chase you on the rooftops, you can't just find a high ground safe spot and kill everyone with arrows like in Gothic.

Francesca

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:27 pm

Climbing, acrobatics, running speed could all appear as perks in a more general Athletic perk tree that also unlock special acrobatic combat moves. I miss Acrobatics so dearly, I've played many Acrobat characters around this skill.

Andres Lechuga

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:06 am

Using climbing and ladders to try and find secret stuff could be a phenomenal gameplay mechanic.

I can imagine a Thieves guild mission where you have to get into some guy's house and steal an item that the thieves guild wants, but you have the alternative of climbing to the top of the guys house and breaking in through an open window or something. I think there was something like that in an Oblivion quest. Not to mention it would be great for traversal of the land (like how the new Zelda is using their climbing mechanic).

I'd love to see climbing/ladders be a thing again.

m Gardner

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:53 pm

Some kind of thieving/assassin Perks for exotic dodges and rolls at high levels might be good, but it should NOT be a viable approach for a primarily combat or magic oriented character. You simply don't do flips, rolls, and spins in armor, or without extensive training and practice even without armor; this is not "The Ninja Scrolls". Besides, "Ninjitsu" should be more about stealth and subterfuge, lying in ambush and striking without being seen (deeds without honor), not acrobatics and gymnastics in combat. The whole "Ninja" thing has become an absurd and heavily twisted stereotype in Western culture.

Climbing would be a welcome re-addition to the series, having been essentially replaced by Levitation from Daggerfall to Morrowind (which was then removed in Oblivion). Limited levitation would also be good to have, but not the highly exploitable long-duration effect as in Morrowind, where you could easily fight or cast other spells while levitating.

Neil

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:02 pm

It wasn't just level design that made them cut climbing and levitation. Pathfinding for AI would be an utter nightmare... you could already exploit Morrowind's AI with levitation.

Rachie Stout

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:40 pm

It wasn't level design at all in the case of levitation. Bethesda cut levitation when they decided to put cities in their own world space.

Morrowind's Tribunal expansion was where Bethesda first cut levitation. They did this because Mournhold was in its own world space. Whenever Bethesda has placed cities in their own world spaces they have cut levitation.

Alexandra Ryan

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:15 pm

What do you mean by Fallout 4's improved vertical design?

Like is it easier to navigate the video games world map? Or are able to climb more places?

Is there more environments to interact with in Fallout 4 compared to The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

If so then I hope Bethesda Game Studios is experimenting with making more buildings be climbable, etc.

This is the second time someone told me this about Fallout 4 in the 8 months that Fallout 4 has been released for sale.

Judy Lynch

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:44 am

Fallout 4 has jet packs on power armour and power armour can fall any distance without being damaged, so with that there is more of a vertical level design, kind of like morrowind in that sense. But otherwise it's not a huge advancement over skyrims environment design.
Peter P Canning

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 1:36 pm

Oh I forgot about Fallout 4's jet packs.

If you fly or thrust your Player Characters (PC's) high up on a building or anywhere in the environment does the Level of Detail (LOD) look terrible or have some very low poly meshes, like in The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion when you are outside of the cities and type in tcl for no clip in the developer console or the same thing in The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim?

Or do the buildings and every thing have good quality if not high quality Level of Detail (LOD)?

Teghan Harris

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 3:03 pm

will climbing be considered a crime? :D

(in towns, cities, castles, etc., can't imagine people reacting well to people climbing around stuff)

alyssa ALYSSA

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:02 pm

Fallout 4 added lifts to allow you to acces highway overpasses more easily and even included one on the side of a building. Its real time which allows new form of travel and combat not seen before
Crystal Clarke

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:37 pm

BGS will never produce a net gain in skills - especially not one that's been dead 20 years - and the only two that might govern climbing are gone.

Laura Elizabeth

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:03 am

:lol: Good point!

Generally, climbing over an obstacle that someone placed on purpose is not a good sign for onlookers :D

Kitana Lucas

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:23 pm

That's an impossible claim to make, unless your the Kwisatz Haderach and can see the future.

With enough relevant activities, and a decent enough way to scale them, there's no reason to believe that Bethesda wouldn't implement a skill to deal with it. They introduced Smithing, after all. Doesn't even need to be a net gain in skills, since Heavy and Light Armour are a pointless and limiting division that can be safely done away with.
remi lasisi

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:37 pm

agreed.

it doesn't really make a difference for my actual point though, which is mostly about collision not knowing when you're *lower* -

i don't care that much about if i'm a head shorter because i'm sneaking or because i'm crouching, just that i still can't pass below low stuff... :-)

Jeneene Hunte

Post » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:35 am

Sneaking doesn't inherently lower your head. You can sneak fully upright. You can also sneak crouched. They're completely orthogonal movement options. In Thief for example (the original, don't know about the remake), you can sneak while standing, which slows your movement and makes you quieter but doesn't change your height at all, or you can crouch and sneak to be even slower and quieter.

SWagg KId

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion