Will it run Fallout?

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:45 pm

I have a link to a PC Build I'm making (I can't post links atm but I share the same username on PCPartPicker.). I want to know whether it can run FNV (It most likely will, but with extra graphic related mods) My PC is currently a HP Pavillion g6 and I've been wanting to upgrade for a while, my copy of Fallout 3 runs with NCMs texture pack and Gophers Dyna-Vision without lag on Ultra, but I have to run New Vegas on Medium settings but I don't have any major visual enhancements (All I have are Weapon and NPC retextures along with a few weapon and quest mods). Hope this info helps.

--

DeviouslyDeviant

hannah sillery

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:38 pm

one of the advantages of games that are made for consoles is that you do not need a top of the line pc to enjoy the game on its best quality

have a look at the nexus website but there are several utillity mods that allow you to run graphic mods with little performa,ce loss and prevent ctd or freezes because of graphic issues

just read the instructions carefully

His Bella

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:41 pm

Hmmm. I've installed Fallout New Vegas Stutter Remover, I'll have a go at using it tomorrow...

Michael Russ

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:03 am

No it doesn't. The least you can do is list the components that are in the computer you're planning on building.
Angel Torres

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:36 pm

CPU: AMD A6-7400K 3,5Ghz Dual Core

Motherboard: ASRock FM2A88X Extreme4+ ATX FM2+

Memory: Corsair 16 GB (8 x2)

Storage: Seagate 3TB 7200 RPM

Video Card: XFX R7 240 4 GB Core Edition

Case: BitFenix Neos WHite/Blue ATX Mid Tower Case

Power Supply: Antec Platnium Certified 650 Watt

Opitcal Drive: Pioneer BDC-207DBK

Sound Card: Asus Xonar 24 bit 96 kHz

Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link PCi Wifi Adapter.

Thats the whole build (except for the monitor, keyboard, mouse etc.), adds up to $992 AUD in total

Big Homie

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:44 pm

You can do better with the CPU and the video card. Dual-core CPUs are close to becoming obsolete, you want to have at least a quad-core these days, if not more. Though that might mean you need to look at another motherboard as well, depending on what kind of socket that processor uses. You can get an AMD 8350 for a fairly good price these days, and it has 8 cores at 4 ghz. A couple of games that I've looked at have that one as the minimum requirement. Shadow of Mordor and Assassin's Creed Unity to be precise. Which kind of pisses me off as I just bought an 8320 last winter, and now I have to think about upgrading it already. I'm planning on getting the 9590 once income tax time rolls around, which still has a fairly decent price tag on it. About $250 US.

The video card will probably be OK for this game at least, but it's a bit on the weak side judging by the benchmark sites I looked at. You might want to consider spending a bit more on it so you don't end up having to replace it a year or two from now. Computer games are becoming more demanding with graphics all the time, you should try to future proof yourself as much as possible. I'm a firm believer in getting a video card that's one or two models below top of the line. That way they'll stay relevant for quite some time, without costing a premium like the top of the line models will.

That power supply will definitely be good enough, you'll have more power than you'll need. Which is a good thing since it won't strain the unit trying to keep everything running.

Keep in mind that the Asus sound card has some post-processing routines that the Fallout games don't like. You'll need to turn them off in order to avoid your game from crashing. I forget what it's called now, it adds atmospheric sound effects to various games. But the card itself will be OK.

You might also want to look at a 10,000 RPM hard drive, rather than a 7200. The extra speed will make a difference. And do your really need 3 TB? I have a 1 TB, and I've been having a hard time filling it up. You can always add more later if you need the space. Most systems allow you to have up to 4 hard drives, and they're easy to add in.
Jhenna lee Lizama

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:41 am

Thanks for the reply, I'm looking for a PC build under $1500, I want to have my PC cheap but powerful. Hopefully that may provide some insight to what I want to do.

Sophie Miller

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:32 am

I've swapped th CPU for a $110 AMD A8-5600K 3.6 GHz with 4 cores

Robert Jr

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:53 pm

That's a bit of a contradiction, but I understand where you're coming from. But if you get yourself a smaller hard drive, like a 1 TB, and also go with with 8 GB of RAM instead of 16, you could shave a few dollars off which you can spend on the CPU and video card. Especially the CPU, a dual core won't be good enough for much longer. Since you're going with AMD, I'd recommend the 8350. It's a fairly powerful processor for a decent price. And as I mentioned, it's the minimum requirement for at least two games that I've looked at. After that spend as much as you can afford on the video card. 16 GBs of RAM is a bit overkill right now, there aren't many programs that will require that much, certainly not as far as games are concerned. Unless you're into something like video processing or 3D rendering, 8 GBs will be more than enough to start with. Get two 4 gig cards, and you can always add a couple more later if you actually need to. Which you probably won't for the next several years at least.

Better, but I'd still recommend the FX 8350.
CORY

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Hmm. The 8350 is a bit expensive for me ($210) I found a 6 core CPU with 3.5 Ghz for $129 though

Updated build

CPU: AMD FX-6300'

Motherboard: ASRock 970 EXTREME4

Memory: Kingston 8 GB

Storage: Seagate 1 TB Hybrid and Kingston 128 GB SSD

Video Card: XFX Radeon R7 240 4 GB

Case: Zalman Z3 Plus White

Power Supply: Coolmaster 600 Watt

Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC -207BDK DVD/Blu-Ray Player

Wireless Network Adapter: TPL LinkTL-WN725N

Rebekah Rebekah Nicole

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:26 am

Not bad. I looked it up and the FX-6300 uses an AM3+ socket, so you'd be able to upgrade up to a FX 9590 later on if you wanted to, or even the 8350 if you don't want to go top of the line. If you're planning on just using the SSD drive for your OS, you could go a bit lower than that. You could probably manage with a 80 gig if you put all your other programs on the 1 TB disc. I have a 75 gig partition for Windows 7 64 bit, plus all my application software, and I still have about 30 gig to spare, even with my page file fixed at the maximum recommended size. Though I have removed the hibernation file. There would still be plenty of room for it though, especially if I were to move all my applications to the other partition. An 80 gig SSD would no doubt save you a few dollars at least.

I'd still recommend a better video card though, you might find that one will limit you down the road. Though it should be good enough for these games at least. It's better than my old GeForce 8800 GT, based on the benchmark list I was looking at, and I was able to run Fallout 3 at High settings with it, though not Ultra. And New Vegas uses the same graphics engine as Fallout 3. But you're probably going to want to replace it a year or two from now, so it might be worth it to spend a bit more on a better card now if you can.
Kelli Wolfe

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:33 pm

I'm currently getting New Vegas on my lame macbook, will the mods work on here? I've been on Nexusmods looking at all the mods I want, will I be disappointed?

I hope it works.

Jhenna lee Lizama

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:57 pm

That's a good question. I'd presume that the mods were only specific to the game itself, and not the platform it ran on, but I'm not sure about that. You're just going to have to try it and see I guess. Let us know how it works out.
Jordan Fletcher

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:02 pm

Sure hope it works out, I'm looking forward to creating a dark evil youtube series from a Great Khan perspective.

Not used to playing on a keyboard, can I hook up my PS3 controller to this thing? lol

jaideep singh

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:20 am

I'm not sure about the PS3 controller, but you can use an Xbox one.
Haley Merkley

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:17 am

Microsoft is releasing a Xbox One controller for PC soon. You can use 360 one and there are tutorials for ps3 ones out on YouTube
Amiee Kent

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:46 am

Enhanced build (hopefully)

CPU: AMD 8350 8 Core
Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3
Memory: Kingston Fury Series 8GB
Storage: Seagate 1 TB Hybrid and Kingston 60 GB SSD
Video Card: 2x XFX Radeon R7 Core 2 GB
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower

Power Supply: Antec 650 Watt
Optical Drive: Pioneer BDC -209BDK DVD/Blu-Ray Player
Wireless Network Adapter: Asus PCE-N15

...and the Grand Total is *drumroll* $1132 AUD!

Sxc-Mary

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:27 am

Is that a dual video card I see there? If so, you'd be better off dropping one of them and spending that money on something slightly better for the other one. Dual video isn't really cost effective. While you're spending twice the money, you're only getting 25-50% of a performance boost. With some games there's none at all. The Fallout games can actually become unstable with two cards, from what I've read here. Other than that, I'd say it's a pretty good system. Just remember to put everything you can on the 1 TB drive and use the SSD only for your OS. You can even move your Documents and Libraries over as well. 60 GB can fill up very fast if you're not careful, and you want to make sure there's enough room for temp files that programs create. I'd go with 80 GBs myself, just to have more leeway, but 60 will work if you're paying attention when you install something.
Star Dunkels Macmillan

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:30 am

I finally got it up and running on my macbook, I so excited.

Now to figure out all these mods and how to work them. Glad to join the "PC" master race finally.

Josee Leach

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:24 pm

It can be a totally different game with mods, that's for sure. And there are some very good ones out there. I'm constantly amazed at the quality of some of the work that's been done for these Bethesda games. I've done quite a bit of modding myself, but my stuff pales in comparison to some of the mods I've come across.
kitten maciver

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:09 pm

Swapped out the Video Card for a single Gigabyte GeForce GTx 760 4 Gb and got a 128 GB SSD. Price is now $1291

carley moss

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 12:06 pm

I also want the PC to run some of the newer games too. GTA V if possible, the upper limit on spending for my build is $2000 AUD

Smokey

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:11 am

You'll be good with what you have now, the 760 is a pretty good card. It's just a step below my 780, and I have plenty of power to spare. At least for the Fallout games. So that rig should keep you going for several years to come. I usually plan on about a 5 year lifespan for my systems, with some components like hard drives lasting longer than that. You could still shave a few dollars off with the SSD though, 80 gig will be enough. As I mentioned, I have a 75 gig partition for my Windows 7 OS and my application software, things like Microsoft Office, Gimp etc., with my Documents folder and Libraries on the other partition. And I still have about 30 gigs to spare. This game is a pretty good indication of what to expect from today's titles, it has some pretty high end requirements. And you meet or surpass the recommended requirements with that rig:

http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri/requirements/middle-earth-shadow-of-mordor/12308/?p=r

If you consider that most of the newer games that will coming out, like GTA V, will be designed with consoles in mind, then that system will be more than enough to handle them. Computer hardware is still light years ahead of console gear.

I just looked it up, you'll be good for GTA V as well:

Irmacuba

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:41 am

Update on my macbook NV play through...

It works, although some of the mods don't work through wineskin as MOST of the mods NEEDS the NVSE. Which Apple doesn't support, in their "infinite" wisdom.

Managed to take care of some bugs that were bothering me like the white skin bug that didn't match your face....

Some of the mods I got do work, grabbed a bunch, and whatever works out I guess, works out.

Playing as a Raider, wearing Chance's Great Khan armor now and I just met the Methclaw at Quarry Junction. lol

So far so good.

*Edit*Methclaw has all the chems I would EVER need. lol, so many chems, but all I have is 3 bottlecaps. lololol... fml. Can't even buy one hit of Jet. hahaha

Laura Simmonds

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:01 pm

That svcks, most of the best mods use NVSE. You might want to consider dropping a post in the NVSE thread requesting an Apple version. I'm not sure if it will do any good, but it's worth a try.
Robert Jackson

Next

Return to Fallout: New Vegas