Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:29 am

"Would You Pay Micro-soft to spy on you? Windows 10 is an update that is being used to spy on you through malware. It is placed on your computer through the update and then leaves you helpless against spying through keystrokes, your camera and websites you visit."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GLiozMpqV80

Beat freak

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:35 am

Hold on, I think I left my tin foil hate in the kitchen..
Alex [AK]

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:21 pm

Everything collects information about us and what we do. It's a humongous business these days. Luckily, since we, the common people, are meaningless, they just use it show us commercials ^_^
I am one data point among millions. O NOES! My privacy is so violated! :lmao:

Furthermore, since there is ridiculous amount of that data, it is only handled by computers. No human will ever see what porm sites you visit :P
Rachel Briere

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:21 pm

They're definitely watching you on your web cam, though, but only to steal your secret casserole recipes.

oliver klosoff

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:46 pm

Phew! That's a relief. :laugh:

louise tagg

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:15 am

I had to sit down so the stress could leave my system!
Naughty not Nice

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:45 am

And since I was already sitting...

BlackaneseB

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:04 am

...my hand slowly wandered to...
Neliel Kudoh

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:10 pm

Windows 10 collects a LOT more information than ANY other operating system. Several organizations have checked it out, and even with all the stuff you get a choice on turned off, Win10 is still phoning home quite frequently, reporting darn near EVERY KEYSTROKE..... And no, you can't turn it all off.

Windows 10 is spyware masquerading as an Operating system.

luis dejesus

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:58 am

I don't know how much this does but it's a tool to help disable a lot of the spyware on Windows 10, something to consider - https://www.safer-networking.org/spybot-anti-beacon/

Ricky Rayner

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 9:55 pm

I declined the "upgrade". I'm fine with Win7
Vicky Keeler

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:47 am

....my Thrustmaster X-56 Rhino, when.....
Myles

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:03 am

Apparently, everyone is koolaid with keyloggers on their system.

Must be nice being tech illiterate. Ignorance sure is bliss.

Soku Nyorah

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:45 am

Honestly, as a designer i prefer it's aethestic over windows 8.1

I've only noticed positive performance impacts for me such as start up times and overall background application effencies so I can live with all these scare tactics.
(G-yen)

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:38 am

I think this is the part that people don't understand. I mean, who do you think looks at EVERYONES data at any reasonable rate? Do you understand how many billions of people that would take?

Craig Martin

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 10:29 pm

Until you become relevant to them or someone they're willing to sell data or information* to.

And "everyone does it" is hardly a good excuse to let something slide; at certain points in space and time, one could say the same of ritual torture, cannibalism, infanticide, [censored], slavery, genocide of indigenous populations...

The proliferation of data should be a major concern of our times, if only due to the potential for abuse: we may live in largely benevolent societies, but that can change and the establishment of a surveillance state -however well intentioned- gives an extremely dangerous toolkit to the hypothetical undesirable regime. In the modern era, the those tools have power beyond anything we've seen to date -- if you know your firearm history, it's like the introduction of rifling (at that point, guns had been around for centuries, but rifling made an astounding difference to range and accuracy [like, difference between a modern shotgun with slugs and, err, a rifle]).

That may seem a bit distant from the discussion at hand, which is about surveillance by private entities rather than states, but what, exactly, is stopping those states from demanding cooperation from the businesses we are talking about? If the US government told Google or Facebook "Do this thing for us or we'll screw with you," do you really think they'd make a stand for the common good? They've already cooperated with crud like PRISM, and Facebook has been courting the PRC (see whatshisname's jog through the wonderful fresh air of Beijing [or whichever city it was]).

All that said, describing Windows 10 as "Electronic Tyranny" is... hyperbolic.

*I mean "data" as the raw stuff they get from tracking you, and "information" to refer to the useful bits they can extract/extrapolate from that data.
Dan Scott

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:49 am

Well, if you don't like it don't use Windows. It's that simple. Windows is not the only OS out there. For me, I have no problem with it because all I do is play games. I can see them looking at my keystrokes and thinking of the word "loser". :D
Mandy Muir

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:05 am

Tin Foil Hate? That would be an excellent band name. :hehe:
Dan Scott

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:50 am

Tried it, didn't like it. I think I'll stay with Windows 7.

Nothing to do with the whole spyware thing either. Just didn't like it's look and feel.

Sophie Louise Edge

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 12:28 am

Meh, my webcam is unplugged. And in the desk somewhere behind my monitor, covered in inches of dust :teehee:
And besides, that recipe is printed on the macaroni package :P

I still preferred 7's style with the transparency, though 10's plain one is no doubt more performance friendly.
I do not like this modern "flat" UI design, i want bumps and curves! :hehe:

Yes, a computer somewhere looking at my browser history and deciding which group of commercials i should see is exactly the same as going out to [censored], murder and eat someone :rolleyes:

Of course there's potential for bad things to happen, but so has everything. And it's not like we can do anything can be done to it. Don't WIndows 10? Then you should also stop using the internet. And credit cards. And shops. and cars. And...
Like i said, everything collects information on you.

It is if you want to play games on PC. Vast majority of them runs on DirectX, and that is MS exclusive.
Lavender Brown

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 3:54 am

I don't, and haven't for years.

I also use a VPN for all my browsing, various browser addons to block cookies an' cross site requests an' junk, and use DuckDuckGo for web searches*. That's only stuff I can do with minimal impact on my internet experience; it makes it more difficult for businesses to track me, and provides limited protection from government snooping (the VPN tunnel means my government can't readily capture metadata or trace my use from the endpoint). I will point out that making a proper tinfoil hat take waaaay more effort -- again, this is just stuff that I can do without much trouble or expense (I mean, it may sound like a lot to a layman, but it really doesn't take much doing). I'm still screwed if a state with any significant resources decides they need to get me, but, while it may not be a wall, at least I've got a privacy curtain.

*I'll note that I'd been doing all that for some time before Edward Snowden popped up and brought things into the public consciousness.

I was not saying it is as bad as the horrors of history. I was pointing out that things which are a hell of a lot worse have been widely accepted/tolerated in the past, so people swallowing the status quo does not prove that it should be accepted.

Of course there's potential for bad things to happen if you fill an airship with hydrogen, but the same goes for everything in life; you may as well stop taking showers (could slip!), using cars (crash, boom!), wearing jewellery (could be robbed!)...

You say "Everything does it", I say "That is a problem".
Penny Courture

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:55 am

Windows 10 is trying to destroy Steam so everyone must buy the games from the failed Windows store.

xx_Jess_xx

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:59 am

I too use adblockers and noscript and some other browser plugins, and proxies for some sites but since my tablet and smartphone run on Android, there's little point in avoiding Google on my desktop :lmao:

Yes, everyone does it, so it's too late change it; which i admit is my issue, i'm always going "yeah, it's all going to hell in a handbasket, but what can you do but enjoy the ride?", so no point in trying to convince me to do somehing about it.

And i don't see it as a problem, since all they use that is for aggregates to sell commercials. "Anonymity" comes from being random average person #6698213 :hehe:

To quote myself: Microsoft is many things, but not suicidal.
Peetay

Post » Sat Aug 06, 2016 4:50 am

Win10 is a step of the way into 1984. In which we are already way too far, I might add. Avoid it at all costs.

Go Linux! :twirl:

Claudz

Post » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:21 pm

I do use Windows 10 and I'm happy with it, but I do agree, it does look worse than Windows 7. I really don't like this flat design look that is "in" at the moment.
Toby Green

Next

Return to Othor Games