Windows 7 is not Vista

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:08 pm

EDIT: I started this thread, because I kept running into advice to install Oblivion to a non-default directory for Windows 7 users. I was aware that this had been an accepted work-around for problems that arise often for Vista users. However, I had not been aware of the same problems arising for Windows 7 users. Lots of great feedback has certainly helped me understand the situation. It seems that the advice to install to a non-default directory is still good advice mainly because it is better than the alternative (i.e. turning off the UAC). See Dogsbody's post for a stronger warning about Program Files directories. It does seem, though, that users comfortable with the workings of the UAC get by just fine installing in the default directory.

My info:
  • I am running Windows 7 64-bit.
  • UAC enabled.
  • I run modded Oblivion on Steam.
  • I run 85% of my games on Steam.
  • I run many other games outside of Steam.
  • Everything in default directories.
  • No problems as a result.

This is not just a Windows 7 lovefest thread. I would simply like to see some information collected in one place. So, please respond to this thread with some info:
  • Do you run Windows 7? And which version?
  • Steam or disc Oblivion?
  • Default install directory or not? If not, because of experience or because of Vista advice?
  • Any modding problems in default directory with 7? Any modding problems in alternate directory?

gothemasticator
Sara Lee

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:04 pm

-Windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
-Oblivion GOTY edition on disk installed to default directory
- Mod list in three figures plus textures and OBSE plugins
-I switch off UAC before messing with my installation or playing.
-No problems encountered
Stacy Hope

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:17 pm

I don't have 7 yet, so this is relayed from a friend's install:

- Home Premium 64 bit
- Oblivion GOTY retail disc
- 200+ mods, FCOM etc, the usual fare around here.
- UAC still active.

With this setup, he had the same issues as Vista users. Permission errors, CS couldn't save files, etc.

Reinstalled to C:\Games\Oblivion and all issues went away.

Makes sense to me since 7 is nothing more than Vista + Fixes anyway.
Franko AlVarado

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:23 am

UAC in Windows 7 has some new-ish functionality to protect apps from harm. (from each other, essentially.) This one affected me while UAC was turned off.

Ran into this when Drag and Drop wouldn't work going into Maya. The reason was that I was running Maya from a desktop shortcut. Desktop had a different privilege than other explorer windows, and was essentially the parent of Maya's session. So, UAC forbids actions like drag and drop into the app. Solution here was simple, run the shortcut from another location, start menu works fine for me.

Just a heads up in case it's something anyone runs into. :)
Vicky Keeler

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:15 am

I have windows 7 32-bit and have UAC on.

I had CS related problems with the defualt install, mod users might be different, but as a modder I needed mine in a non-defualt install to make it work right with UAC on.
sally R

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:26 am

I have Vista and Oblivion is installed in the default program files position andit works with no problems. Also, it is possible to disable UAC.
Yung Prince

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:10 pm

Editing permissions on your Bethesda Softworks folder fixes all problems. I did in Vista, and upgraded to 7 x64, so the edits stayed, and I haven't had any problems. I don't know how it is for default though.
Loane

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:02 pm

The security settings on files was always the problem but a large potion of users don't know how to change the security settings on the files. The differences bettween Vista and Windows 7 are that you won't come across as many permissions issues then with Vista but they are still there and will still cause problems in Windows 7. I can get people to install to a different directory then Program Files but trying to explain and get people to change the security settings is hard.

PS. I tried using my system on default when I switched from Vista to Windows 7 and at first it went well then I started coming across the same kinds of problems again so I now need to change the security settings of most of my files like I did with Vista or I have problems.

PS. For anyone who wants their programs to work correctly check out the below website.
http://www.blogsdna.com/2159/how-to-take-ownership-grant-permissions-to-access-files-folder-in-windows-7.htm
x a million...

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:14 pm

Windows 7 home premium 64 bit. Had installed to default directory but BOSS would not work (with 200 mods or so, including full FCOM, BOSS was desirable). Easiest solution was to reinstall to a non Programs 86x directory.
kat no x

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:02 pm

Why don't people use admin accounts? I've never understood that.

- Win7 Prof x64
- Oblivion GOTY retail disc, default install
- UAC still active.
- Never had problems with any program and UAC, nor have I ever had to 'run as admin' to use or install something
claire ley

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:18 am

This was all very helpful to me. Thanks for all the responses and info!

gothemasticator
Ria dell

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:14 pm

I would, but then I know how to protect myself from the types of things a restricted user account is designed to guard against. A lot of computer users don't, and so restricted accounts make more sense so they don't hose the system doing something boneheaded.
Del Arte

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:28 pm

Isn't the first account you make on a new computer automatically an admin?

-I have my UAC off and Oblivion installed in a non-standard directory
Khamaji Taylor

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:31 pm

Didn't turning off the UAC simply solve the installation problem? I have UAC turned off since it's more of an annoyance for me anyway.
James Rhead

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:18 am

Snip. Yeah, all of it.

I've run Oblivion on Vista and Win7, both 64 bit, without having to install it to a "special directory". Mind you, I do usually do that but Oblivion runs just fine on Vista in program files.
And that's with UAC on.
Sheila Reyes

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:21 pm

Didn't turning off the UAC simply solve the installation problem? I have UAC turned off since it's more of an annoyance for me anyway.

That's my reason to turn the UAC off.
Bloomer

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:55 am

Have windows 7 64 bit, no problems here either :D
Nicholas C

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:34 pm

UAC on, Oblivion in a non-default directory. Even though Windows 7 UAC has been modified into a Microsoft back door rather than a proper implementation of privilege escalation.

Using the Programs folder as anything but read-only except as installers use it is a bad practice. Furthermore, it causes any number of problems when you do anything that writes to the Programs folder, including setting up OBMM, OBSE, Wrye Bash, and mods that unpack to Oblivion\Data. I cannot agree with the OP's advice, and I suggest that the OP edit out any remarks that claim others have been giving bad advice on the subject.
Daniel Holgate

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:12 pm

UAC on, Oblivion in a non-default directory. Even though Windows 7 UAC has been modified into a Microsoft back door rather than a proper implementation of privilege escalation.

Using the Programs folder as anything but read-only except as installers use it is a bad practice. Furthermore, it causes any number of problems when you do anything that writes to the Programs folder, including setting up OBMM, OBSE, Wrye Bash, and mods that unpack to Oblivion\Data. I cannot agree with the OP's advice, and I suggest that the OP edit out any remarks that claim others have been giving bad advice on the subject.

Have to agree ! - installing OB to the Program Files folder is just instilling bad practices - First off disabling UAC is not a good idea for users that are not aware of what it does (since they are the ones that need the protection it provides in most cases) - Leaving it on and trying to explain to a user that hasn't a clue about it takes alot of hard work in getting them to get things setup properly so that the CS etc. can have the proper security permissions (plus making exceptions to the rules sets a bad precedent for the misuse of doing such) - So the easiest and safest advice is to have the game installed to a different folder that does not have the escalated security that is rightfully placed on important Program files and not advising working around those safeguards which could teach bad habits (if the user starts doing that with important files without understanding what exactly they are doing - or completely disabling a feature that would help keep Novices systems safer from security risks) - SO IMHO the best advice to avoid the problems that arise from a game being installed to the high security folders like Program Files is to have them install the game to a different folder to begin with and avoid having them occur !!
Kevin Jay

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:01 am

1st post edited in light of informative responses. Thanks, everybody, for such useful info.

gothemasticator
Andrea P

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:17 am

- Windows7 32-bit
- Default (program files) installation

No problems, except Wrye Bash - I cannot set it to 'run as administrator' because it is not a standard *.exe file, and Win7 will not recognise the shortcut either.
Wrye Bash runs okay, but it won't shut down (Windows errors).
Never had problem with WinXP...
So, if I had to do it again I would've installed into \games folder!
Regards
Peter P Canning

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:11 pm

Have to agree ! - installing OB to the Program Files folder is just instilling bad practices - First off disabling UAC is not a good idea for users that are not aware of what it does (since they are the ones that need the protection it provides in most cases) - Leaving it on and trying to explain to a user that hasn't a clue about it takes alot of hard work in getting them to get things setup properly so that the CS etc. can have the proper security permissions (plus making exceptions to the rules sets a bad precedent for the misuse of doing such) - So the easiest and safest advice is to have the game installed to a different folder that does not have the escalated security that is rightfully placed on important Program files and not advising working around those safeguards which could teach bad habits (if the user starts doing that with important files without understanding what exactly they are doing - or completely disabling a feature that would help keep Novices systems safer from security risks) - SO IMHO the best advice to avoid the problems that arise from a game being installed to the high security folders like Program Files is to have them install the game to a different folder to begin with and avoid having them occur !!

This is incredibly paranoid thinking. Outside the obvious (actually using Anti-virus and Spyware checkers) practicing safe web browsing techniques is the best defense against security compromises. If you're really so frightened of losing stuff or getting hacked or whatever the easiest thing you can do is to install windows on a separate partition.
BaNK.RoLL

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:19 pm

This is incredibly paranoid thinking. Outside the obvious (actually using Anti-virus and Spyware checkers) practicing safe web browsing techniques is the best defense against security compromises. If you're really so frightened of losing stuff or getting hacked or whatever the easiest thing you can do is to install windows on a separate partition.

Eh. Except for Dogsbody's brief gripe about a "backdoor" (which was an aside), the two posts you quoted have nothing to do with browsing safety. What they are talking about is inexperienced users developing a habit of mucking about in their program files directory. Which indeed can lead to borked programs, or possibly worse.

gothemasticator
Guy Pearce

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:55 pm

Yes, and messing about in Program Files can bork XP just as badly, if not worse, since most people run XP with full admin privs.
Richard Dixon

Post » Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:52 am

1. Do you run Windows 7? And which version?
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-Bit

2. Steam or disc Oblivion?
Disc

3. Default install directory or not? If not, because of experience or because of Vista advice?
Created a folder called "Games" outside Program files. I know that User control + program files could cause problems in Vista, so I chose not too. First time using Windows 7, so no experience here.

4. Any modding problems in default directory with 7? Any modding problems in alternate directory?
Haven't tried default, none in alternate.
Setal Vara

Next

Return to IV - Oblivion