Working over Christmas

Post » Tue Dec 27, 2016 7:56 pm

I'm just curious how many of us have to work during Christmas. My wife had to work on Christmas Eve, which isn't too bad. I just got in from work. I had to be at work at 0615 this morning, and i cant have any alcohol 12 hours before hand (but preferably 24 hours), which meant my desire for a nice Port and cheese in the evening didn't happen. I've been lucky a far that I haven't worked Christmas Day, but the days I start my block of working days reduces by 1 each year (and it is a 14 day block), which means that from next year, and for the next 14 years, I will possibly be working on Christmas Day. The year after I could theoretically work Christmas Eve, Christmas Day AND Boxing Day. Now that would svck.

So does anybody else have to work on Christmas Eve, Christmas Day or Boxing Day? Does it bother you? Working today didn't really bother me, it was just the fact that it impacted my enjoyment of yesterday evening that was disappointing.
Racheal Robertson

Post » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:15 am

Boxing day?

I worked morning shift so we just go up a little early and did presents.
Celestine Stardust

Post » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:50 am

Current job, off 17/12-02/02, its a hard life working in a school and only having 13 weeks holiday a year.

Last job we had 2 night shift teams, so 1 year I'd be working over Xmas and off at New Year, next year the opposite. I prefer my current job.

Lakyn Ellery

Post » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:27 am

I'm self-employed and work every day of the year.

Hussnein Amin

Post » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:15 am

I had to work Christmas Day.
Leah

Post » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:46 am

For all of those who have had to work, I give my deepest sympathies

Stat Wrecker

Post » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:18 am

I'm fully retired for the time being, and hopefully forever , so no holiday employment for poor little me. When I worked in retail sales I pulled many a Xmas Eve shift. For some reason they didn't schedule me that day my last several years on the job. I didn't ask to be off. I suspect they wanted younger workers on the floor who were faster assisting/herding customers and at the register. I suspect that's why I also didn't work Black-Friday those last few years, though I was a solid Black Friday opener for some years prior.

I was lucky in that the place I worked closed late afternoon Xmas Eve and didn't open Xmas Day. (Don't know if they maintain that policy anymore.) Heh, I remember the first time our store opened Xmas Eve. The boss didn't know what to expect so kept a more or less skeleton crew. We were swamped from open to close!!!!! Next year she hired and scheduled a bunch of seasonal help for that day. The store was dead. The three or so hours I was there we had maybe five customers total. I got sent home early, along with a number of others. Mostly from year three on it was a super busy day up until the second year of the "Great Recession", when things slowed down somewhat.

hmm... I might gotten the above backwards...a benefit of senility. It might have been that we were totally dead that first Xmas Eve so that the boss scheduled only a skeleton crew NEXT year, when we were swamped. Then again, my first thought might be the correct one.

Strawberry

Post » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:26 am

I don't even work normal days :D :D

And I would raise some serious @#ยค% if someone told me to work at Christmas or that I couldn't have two and a half week off.

TOYA toys

Post » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:18 am

Normally I shut down for Christmas for at least 3 days as a business owner, but this year I picked up snow removal as extra income and had to work the 24th and 25th because of the crazy amounts of snow.

But I don't see a big deal. If I had a family that actually celebrated Christmas or the holidays in general and I had to work Christmas, I'd just celebrate our Christmas on another day. The specific day doesn't matter to me
Jamie Moysey

Post » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:04 am

Used to work on these days, because I got double pay.

xxLindsAffec

Return to Othor Games