Do you feel safe where you live?

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 5:54 pm

No need to specify why if you don′t want, I just thought I′d throw this out there.

I used to feel safe where I live, not ten years ago. That′s all I′m gonna say.

Mélida Brunet

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:20 pm

I'm just paranoid so yes but at the same time no. Realistically I think yes but at the same time I'd prefer to be able to carry my gun on me.

Angel Torres

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:57 pm

I felt more safe here than I ever did back home. Considering that I can take a walk here at midnight and chat with random strangers that are passing by says a lot compared to locking down everything as soon as the sun set back in Texas.

Isabella X

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:29 pm

I feel perfectly safe where I live. I am far enough out, that the crime rate is basically zero. I don't even bother to lock my doors. More often than not, I leave the keys in my truck. Of course, I DO have firearms in the house as well....... :)

Meghan Terry

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:19 pm

For the most part, yes. Although there's been a protracted spate of some recent arrivals trying people's front doors, nothing too exciting happens here.

Apparently it wasn't always like that, though: the local woods (just a stone's throw from my house) used to be a hotbed of all sorts of unpleasantness and general brigandry a few hundred years back, until the landowners were told to get their act together.
sw1ss

Post » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:10 am

I feel safe from bodily harm. I'm unsure about certain other aspects of life, but it's forbidden to talk about it on this forum.

Fam Mughal

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:54 am

Hahahaha, no. I live in the ghetto, looking over ones shoulder becomes a habit you learn early or get jumped by some pot smoking hoodlums. Or worse, killed for some sneakers or a dollar. :P

Breanna Van Dijk

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:55 am

Based on crime and natural disasters yes.

Safer than the previous house there was a Double homicide 5 houses down involving the father of some woman killing a mother and daughter over perceived relationship between the daughters.

That house has almost flooded in 2001 and flooded in 2013, not sure if it flooded in 2015 since we left in May.

Makes it easier to sleep at night when the rain used to keep me up.
Cathrin Hummel

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:38 pm

No question. Nothing happens here, since no one knows where this place is. ...Even i'm not sure :teehee:

Seriously though, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finland It doesn't get much better than this ^_^
Well, except Denmark :hehe:

Also safe from natural disasters, no horrible storms, earthquakes or volcanoes.

Of course there's crimes and violence, we are still human after all, but that is rarely a concern for the common people.

Russia as a neighbor makes things interesting occasionally, like today it was reported they have put https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S-400_(missile) on the border, but unless some exceptional happen, i don't expect much more than muscle flexing from then.
Charleigh Anderson

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 2:43 pm

But it's Finland though. The hardest language to learn ever, imo. I once asked my Norwegian teacher why no one takes up Finnish since Finland is such a pretty country and whatnot. He told me "Once you start learning Finnish, you'll never be Finnished!" :P

P.S. Denmark has nothing on Norway. Well, expect cheaper.....everything. :sadvaultboy:

Big mike

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:08 pm

Don't they have furniture that is overpriced?
jaideep singh

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:45 am

Would have to ask my bud, but I'm pretty sure Norway has the worst prices in all Scandinavia. :sadvaultboy:

Ryan Lutz

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 3:41 pm

Yes, but no worries, even we don't speak it very well :teehee:

The complexity comes from the pre- and suffixes that are added to words, instead of the little words English and most other languages have. It is very complex, but having borned and lived with it, it comes naturally. No doubt difficult to learn for foreigners, though.
Kat Stewart

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:01 pm

I feel safe in Toronto. The murder rate is quite low for a city this size. Toronto is the 4th largest City in North America just a bit larger than Chicago in the Downtown population and smaller in the metropolitan population. We are around 50 to 60 murders and about half of them are gun related.

https://www.torontopolice.on.ca/statistics/ytd_stats.php

Shelby McDonald

Post » Thu Sep 29, 2016 1:27 am

I'm always bemused when I see Finnish and all of its enormously long words with many dots over the vowels. And the total absence of nice, friendly short words. Sometimes I click on Bing Translate. It generally substitutes a couple of English words, probably incorrectly, then just says "meh, I'm confused and can't be bothered any more" and leaves the rest of the impenetrable Finnish in its original and impenetrable state.

Fortunately for me, it seems that all Finns speak English. But funnily enough, they don't always choose to do so.
hannah sillery

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:37 pm

Yeah, Finnish is used in such little circle that you're pretty much required to learn a second language. Basically everyone learns swedish (historical thing, and practical on the west coast) and english. Here in the east russian would be much more useful, though :shrug:

And no, i don't for a second believe a machine translator could create coherent finnish sentences :lmao:

We get about the same amount for the whole country in a year (78 in 2014 was what i could find in a quick search). Curiously, the populations are about the same too.
Lauren Graves

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:52 am

Yep, I do. If I know I'm gonna be away for only a short time, like going grocery shopping, I don't even bother to lock the door :P
Celestine Stardust

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 9:47 pm

Nooo. There is a darkness gathering across the land here in America. I feel it in the air, tidings of ill omen whispered on the wind. It is... it is... Cthulhu rising!!!!

Seriously though, I never feel totally safe. Between the hoodlums and thugs that are disturbingly becoming more numerous and the whacked out crackheads, you never know if you are going to come home one day and find your house ransacked, or worse that you might have armed hoods kick down your door while you are watching Dancing with the Stars... er um.. I mean... Monday Night Football. It's really something I try not to think about. Que será, será.
Dawn Porter

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 1:03 pm

Like us Americans, eh? The worst English speakers I've ever come across are Americans :lol: 2 of my sisters spent about half a year living in Finland way back when. One was doing research on her Russian History Doctorate and the other thought it'd be fun :)

On Topic:

Where I live (~80,000 people) is very safe. We have some crime like most other places, but nothing rampant. My local neighborhood is in a beautiful wooded area in possibly one of the most quietest parts of town.

[edit]

I feel I should also mention that I really have no fear of death :)

Amber Hubbard

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:29 am

Feel pretty safe in the UK and the difficulty people have getting hold of firearms is a big part of that.

Thema

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 10:40 pm

Sure I do, here in San Antonio. Can go for walks in the park at midnight and all. But that's probably because I am the danger.

Laura Ellaby

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 7:51 pm

Generally, yes. When I'm driving on the road, absolutely not. Bunch of careless idiots that drive like lunatics here to the point I'm almost always on edge when in the car.

Heather Stewart

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 11:10 am

I am pretty safe enough here. Haven't yet been stabbed or forced to stab someone, and burglaries are fairly rare. Could be worse.

But it still annoys me when I see people walking along in flipflops and headphones. You can't even run away from danger and you can't hear it creeping up on you. I can't understand how anyone can be that blind to their own safety. A bit of vigilant awareness of your surroundings wouldn't go amiss.

Nauty

Post » Wed Sep 28, 2016 6:30 pm

not really, my second step on the stair case is an inch and a half lower than the first, so i sometimes trip on it when im tired in the morning..

ohh wait, thats not what you meant :P

for the most part.. i live alone, am in a pretty safe neighborhood (mostly older retirees.. although there are a few university students who rent around the corner), and am located surprisingly central as far as town layout goes

Damien Mulvenna

Post » Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:38 am

I'm one of those annoying people, then. I wear headophones to shut out the horror of the world (well, to cut down on sensory overload a bit: Electric Six at full volume is much less distracting than the general goings on of this real life thing) and "ew, trainers" largely explains the rest.
Undisclosed Desires

Next

Return to Othor Games