If you had to pick one weapon type

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:31 am

I'm curious about this, especially since (if I recall correctly) Bethesda held a poll for Oblivion basically to see what weapon type was least used. What weapon, if you could only choose one category, would you see returned to the series? Of course the ideal is that all see a return, but I'd like to share my opinions and see what others think.

Spears - personally my choice, and my decision to play an Argonian has a bit to do with that, admittedly. To me, any Fantasy RPG that lacks spears seems to miss the point of armed combat, which is putting something sharp in your opponent without risking your own neck more than you have to, which is totally the point of the basic spear. Of course I wouldn't mind seeing halberds make a return as well (especially if they count for cutting weapons this time around) but my focus is on the sharp pointies.

Separate Eastern Swords - another one that confused me in Oblivion. For so long there's these widely available curved blades, and then suddenly the only ones you can find are, what, shipped over from Akavir? What are they even made of? Steel, or something else?

Melee Staff - I kind of expect this one to get the most votes, since probably about a third of TES players prefer playing dedicated magic users, and not being able to whack someone with your staff when you've run out of other options kind of takes away from the entire experience.

Flail - This would have to be my second choice. Flails are awesome, and even better would be fighting with one completely at the mercy of the game's physics engine. Less awesome would be using realistic (read: short enough to be controllable) flails, but they could still go for a reintroduction.

Crossbows - I still remember the hundreds of angry, angry threads about this before Oblivion was released. It's not terribly important to me, but I know a lot of people missed them.

Thrown Weapons - same category as Crossbows, more or less. I did use throwing stars occasionally for range, but they were never hugely important to me. More interesting to me was getting attacked by them.

Broadsword/Longsword - I guess you could also put sabers into this list. I can't imagine this being hugely important to anyone, but I'm sure there are people out there who prefer to fight with a bigger sword that isn't quite two-handed.

I put in an other just because I can't recall any others in the past, but they could be there. I never played Arena, after all. And if you would rather something new (whips, double-sided weapons, what have you) you can post that as well.
Guy Pearce

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:56 pm

spears would be fun, kill the guys in front of you with it, and then throw it into someone far away, sounds fun to me :goodjob:
Kerri Lee

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:23 am

Edit: Okay, I completely misunderstood this.

I'd have to go with spears. :)
Laurenn Doylee

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:36 am

All of the above.
Rachael

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Not that it would be my choice, but you really should have added the option for 'separate Blunt from Axes'. That was an abominable mistake, and I dont even use these weapons.
Bambi

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:10 am

Well, to be fair, putting axes in their own category wasn't much better, considering they only really had the two different types. Besides that, it's more about adding new item types, not fixing the ones they had in Oblivion.
RObert loVes MOmmy

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:40 am

Axes...
Big Homie

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:10 am

All of the above.

What he said. XD

But if pressed, I'd say flails. With a good physics engine those would be fuuuuun to use.
Jerry Jr. Ortiz

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:46 pm

Pretty much everything, but I'd love to see more of those varied types of blades. Not sure why, but they just seem to add more customisation and uniqueness to me. It's not as good having the choice of basically using either a shortsword or a longsword if you're the kind of guy (like me) who wants to wield a one-handed sword that isn't the size of a dagger.
Nadia Nad

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:28 pm

I'd probably say 'throwing weapons' though I've never played before Oblivion. In Oblivion I loved stealthy thief characters. What would enhance the thief RP? Hiding in the shadows, watching your enemy patrolling a hall, and when they get past you. A knife silently thumps them in the back as you drag them into the dark and loot them. :spotted owl:
Cedric Pearson

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:21 pm

Katana for me.
Emma louise Wendelk

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:31 am

I'd say spears, if only so soldiers could be properly armed.
El Goose

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:19 pm

Spears. I'd like to have the option to use them one handed, with a shield. Because fighting like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ygRholyh5g&feature=related would really let me get my "Iliad" on. :verymad:
Alada Vaginah

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:30 am

Spear, In Morrowind they were always among my favorite weapons to use after Long sword. I missed those in OB.

Second to Spears i'd say crossbows and Throwing weapons. Never used Crossbows that much but loved using "Her Dart"s from the Tribunal expansion.
SWagg KId

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:06 am

Spears. I'd like to have the option to use them one handed, with a shield. Because fighting like http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ygRholyh5g&feature=related would really let me get my "Iliad" on. :verymad:

Speaking of fighting like that. I'd like to see shields be used offensively as well.
Mistress trades Melissa

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:54 pm

Speaking of fighting like that. I'd like to see shields be used offensively as well.

Hell yeah, like a shield bash. Maybe as a journeyman or master perk?
KiiSsez jdgaf Benzler

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:56 am

I was thinking more along the lines of this :goodjob:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJn9JNqHp9U
the part after 1:40 to be specific.
Suzie Dalziel

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:14 am

My vote goes to other.

Axes are sharp not blunt.
Da Missz

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:35 pm

Shield bashing would be nice, but I miss crossbows and throwing weapons especially. Throwing a dagger would be awesome and give higher damage stealth damage at higher risk (only have so many daggers vs arrows)
Andy durkan

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:40 am

I'm gonna berserk if Skyrim will have spears/polearms in it. Especially if its a one arm spear and combining it with a shield the spartan way. So far I haven't played a game that allowed you to do this :)
DeeD

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:15 am

I was thinking more along the lines of this :goodjob:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJn9JNqHp9U
the part after 1:40 to be specific.

Rrrrraaaaaarrrrgghh!!!!! If I could throw a spear, use it one handed, and shield bash, I would get so into ti! :mohawk:
Becky Cox

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:03 am

Spears and staves can be grouped as "Polearms" because they offer many similarities despite the differences. And just like the blades, they can have one- and two-handed variants.
Steve Bates

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:07 am

Give me my spears back dammit!
Dagan Wilkin

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Merging axe, mace and hammer into one category actually makes huge amounts of sense when you consider how the weapons are balanced and swung; the only mistake was calling that category "blunt.'

Merging swords and daggers makes a lot LESS sense. If anything, daggers and short swords should be grouped with one-handed spears.

Anyway: I vote spears. Both long and short.

Crossbows are a close second -- and they should depend far less on skill than other marksman weapons, but be very slow to reload.
Leonie Connor

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:39 am

They should just name "Blunt" "Hafted" instead. Also, bring back Spears and Crossbows.
Roisan Sweeney

Next

Return to V - Skyrim