[WIP] Your Bloody Courier Clothes

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:27 pm

Also, just a note, but it's actually 'Mojave' and not 'Mohave' :)

Last I checked, this is America. We speak English round these parts. =P jk
Sandeep Khatkar

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:36 am

This is really, really cool.
Can't believe Obsidian did not do something like this. Vault suit, for frakk sake why?

It seems odd that Doc Mitchel would give up his Pip-Boy and his vault suit. Brain surgery must have made him like you a lot for some reason, at least enough to give you two things that you'd think would be pretty sentimental to him.

He could have just given you some normal clothes, that way you'd fit in.
Kirsty Collins

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:26 pm

It's Mojave in English as well. Find a map that says "Mohave Desert" and the only thing you'll have found is an illiterate cartographer. Mohave were an Indian tribe if memory serves, but the proper name of a desert is still it's name regardless of language.
Alisia Lisha

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:35 am

It's Mojave in English as well. Find a map that says "Mohave Desert" and the only thing you'll have found is an illiterate cartographer. Mohave were an Indian tribe if memory serves, but the proper name of a desert is still it's name regardless of language.

You seem to have missed the"jk" at the end of Echonite's sentence. JK is an acronym, abbreviation or slang word that means 'Just Kidding'. It is used on the internet to let others know that you are joking.

Echonite was implying that the person speaks English, thereby making it alright to not know the correct spelling of something that is not of English origin off the top of their head.
Svenja Hedrich

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:21 pm

Awesome work themythofstrider, love the textures. :)
Angel Torres

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:23 am

Thanks B)

Got the female meshes textured and tried everything out in game. Not really happy. The normal maps are making the shirt texture look way too bumpy, so I'm going to have to tweak. The vest looks awesome though.
adam holden

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:00 am

It's looking pretty epic, Strider. I'll get it for sure, 'cause it looks western enough for me to like it, and it looks like it has sentimental value to the player character (or at least, afore the bullet lobotomy, it did) so it's righteously set solid in my book. Great work.
Mariana

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:31 pm

You seem to have missed the"jk" at the end of Echonite's sentence. JK is an acronym, abbreviation or slang word that means 'Just Kidding'. It is used on the internet to let others know that you are joking.

Echonite was implying that the person speaks English, thereby making it alright to not know the correct spelling of something that is not of English origin off the top of their head.

This

Mojave isn't and English word, so no, it is not the same. In fact, there is no direct translation.
Marilú

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:14 am

First off, I like the idea of this mod, as the Vault Suit and Pipboy don't make any sense to me. My personal preference would be an outfit that matches the opening scene, and similar to to the other courier outfits in-game for the parts that were not shown in cinematic mode.

Secondly, I don't particularly care about this.. I admit I am fully wrong and that "mohave" is equally as justified as "mojave" even though I'd be amazed finding a scholar that would agree to it. However:

Mojave isn't and English word, so no, it is not the same. In fact, there is no direct translation.

Mojave may have roots in something other than the Queen's English, but is the proper name of the Mojave Desert. That is the accepted translation. In English. If you spoke English, and looked at any English map, guess what it would be spelled as? Perhaps sometime along the Fallout timeline it got changed and no one told Beth or Obsidian, but a proper name is a proper name. When people say "I speak American," even in jest, it rings of ignorance and racism. In all likely hood, you didn't mean it in any such way considering the smily face and jk. But, as you felt it important to make your joke, I felt it important to push for a more accurate description. A Mohave outfit should be an ancestral Native American attire, a Mojave outfit should be something more contemporary to the FNV timeline. A quesadilla is not pronounced "kwess-ah-dill-ah" no matter how far you were born in the mountains. Mojave != Mohave, and are not interchangeable from a grammar nazi's standpoint, even if phonetically similar.

A ten second google search says that it is named after the Mohave Indians, and I don't care enough to learn why it is and has been the Mojave Desert. I'm sure it's fascinating, but can it just be a truce as far as we don't agree on proper grammar? Or that you were joking and the joke's grammar still bothered me? Or whatever scenario makes you happiest?

Seriously? Proper Name. Proper. Mojave. I caught the smily and the jk. To me, it's a bit like saying "Bless your heart, you're the stupidest person I've ever met." Saying "Bless your heart" doesn't excuse the rest of the sentence, and "Bless you're heart, your the stupidest person I've ever met." isn't the same thing. We might disagree about that too, and 100 pages of internet e-peen measuring won't change either of our minds, so lets drop it all here? Or in your reply, or preferably for the OP and everyone who doesn't care about this discussion (including me) in a PM as not to derail this thread further. - also, please don't PM me regarding this. If you have the urge to be right then I fully admit that you are, and please just talk about how awesome and right you are in PM's with others who agree with you. I have no care whatsoever to argue any further about a location that I personally don't even enjoy being at in real life, named by people I don't care about, named after people I have no interest in.

To the OP, I apologize. My bad. Great mod idea, great implementation so far. At least you got a few free bumps out of this.
Emily Shackleton

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:08 pm

He made a joke, get over it and move on. This isn't a topic about the proper spelling of the Mojave desert.
*Chloe*

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 1:12 pm

Evidently, considering nobody "got" the joke, I'd say it wasn't a very good joke - especially if it needed so much clarification.
Damn Americans and their supposedly "correct" spelling. The only reason the spelling is "correct" is because none of you can pronounce the words properly.
aisha jamil

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:05 am

Evidently, considering nobody "got" the joke, I'd say it wasn't a very good joke - especially if it needed so much clarification.
Damn Americans and their supposedly "correct" spelling. The only reason the spelling is "correct" is because none of you can pronounce the words properly.

This coming from the country that thinks a chicken is a chook............................... :D
Juan Suarez

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:25 am

How does cutting up your shirt make it any easier to perform brain surgery?

Unless you were wearing your pants on your head, this is a bit of a non issue. Besides, it's a cool outfit, so who gives a crap. Don't like it, don't download it.

surgery requires a sterile environment (if not more so for brain surgery) so yes, clothing will be cut off your body instead of being moved across the wound, and also, it just takes too much time to take clothes off the normal way. with gun shot wounds in the head, seconds count. but whatever. If there's a roleplay friendly way to get it, i might use it because i don't like most of the wear that's normally in the game.
Solina971

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:32 am

Very nice outfit. I might incorporate this into Jim's wardrobe. Trying to finalize his look. Definitely gonna be downloading this for sure.
josie treuberg

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:23 am

surgery requires a sterile environment (if not more so for brain surgery) so yes, clothing will be cut off your body instead of being moved across the wound, and also, it just takes too much time to take clothes off the normal way. with gun shot wounds in the head, seconds count. but whatever. If there's a roleplay friendly way to get it, i might use it because i don't like most of the wear that's normally in the game.

I know that, I'm just saying, you got shot in the head. That's it. So while any hospital today would do exactly as you say, a wasteland doctor would likely reason "Gunshot wound to the head, I'll focus on the head". Besides, there's no way in hell Doc Mitchell's house is a sterile environment, and I doubt Mitchell has the means to make it that way, the only sterilizer I can see them using is high proof liquor.
A Boy called Marilyn

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:38 am

I'm Dutch. Blame my government :P
Sara Johanna Scenariste

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 4:36 am

I know that, I'm just saying, you got shot in the head. That's it. So while any hospital today would do exactly as you say, a wasteland doctor would likely reason "Gunshot wound to the head, I'll focus on the head". Besides, there's no way in hell Doc Mitchell's house is a sterile environment, and I doubt Mitchell has the means to make it that way, the only sterilizer I can see them using is high proof liquor.

it's easily possible to quickly improvise a semi-sterile room by performing the surgery in a room covered in plastic and cleaning yourself and besides, even if he couldn't make a room sterile, there's no reason he wouldn't remove the clothing. and that's not how an expert brain surgeon (and you need to be to perform brain surgery on a point blank headshot wound successfully like that) would reason at all.
Chris Johnston

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:55 am

Well if I may:

It's a video game where you were shot in the head, buried and dug up by a robot that thinks he's a cowboy. And there's 10 foot tall talking super mutants and laser guns. And two headed cows.

And geckos that breathe fire

And invisible snake dogs

And aliens

Let's leave realistic medical practices and proper English at the door, shall we? B)

Back onto the topic of patches I put on a denim vest, ... they look cool. And they will probably be available for download tonight. After I make some yellowish brown gloves to match.
Music Show

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 11:53 am

Well if I may:

It's a video game where you were shot in the head, buried and dug up by a robot that thinks he's a cowboy. And there's 10 foot tall talking super mutants and laser guns. And two headed cows.

And geckos that breathe fire

And invisible snake dogs

And aliens

Let's leave realistic medical practices and proper English at the door, shall we? B)

Back onto the topic of patches I put on a denim vest, ... they look cool. And they will probably be available for download tonight. After I make some yellowish brown gloves to match.

Yeah, this basically. I know how real medical procedures work, I've got plenty of experience in that field. But this is a game, and one of the most outrageously unrealistic ones out there at that, let's not get caught up in semantics.

Bottom line, it's a cool outfit. If Doc Mitchell cutting off your clothes is such an important factor of your game, then it seems this outfit isn't for you.
John Moore

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:30 am

I couldn't post this the other day, but I did take some screen shots of the opening video:

http://i54.tinypic.com/292paia.png
http://i56.tinypic.com/qqdd6o.png
http://i52.tinypic.com/28spo5t.png

Looks like a loose blue flannel shirt to me, and some suspenders on the pants.

themythofstrider's outfit actually looks better, which makes sense since the original was only really designed to cover up any of the Courier's features.
Lisa

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 3:25 am

I couldn't post this the other day, but I did take some screen shots of the opening video:

http://i54.tinypic.com/292paia.png
http://i56.tinypic.com/qqdd6o.png
http://i52.tinypic.com/28spo5t.png

Looks like a loose blue flannel shirt to me, and some suspenders on the pants.

themythofstrider's outfit actually looks better, which makes sense since the original was only really designed to cover up any of the Courier's features.

The outfit worn in the cinematic exists in the game, I believe Blake at the crimson caravan wears it.
Lisa

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 7:36 am

Blake's is similar, but not the same. Ringo's is close as well, but has different colours for the shirt.

Hmm...Ringo's is red. Maybe he stole your blood stained clothes?
Emma Parkinson

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 8:22 am

I really like the idea of this mod - one of the very first things I did with this game was mod out the Vault suit Doc gives you at the begining. I was looking forward to not being from a Vault this time around and what do they give you to wear? *sigh* I also really like what themythofstrider has done with the outfit, but in my mind it should really look like the clothes you were buried in (as per the game's introduction movie). But I'd also hate for this outfit to be lost so I wonder if this outfit could be given to the other dead ME "currier" you come across in Primm? Benny killed him too, I'd hazard a guess, before finding you and so it stands to reason he was also shot in the head. Someone correct me if my lore is off here.

Edit: And some clean versions of the outfit could also be located inside the ME building in Primm.
maya papps

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:21 am

It mentions that all other deliveries were successful and Benny knew who he was after, so the suspicion is that he was killed just for the payment. Given his location, probably by an escaped convict.
Richard Thompson

Post » Sat Feb 19, 2011 5:53 am

It mentions that all other deliveries were successful and Benny knew who he was after, so the suspicion is that he was killed just for the payment. Given his location, probably by an escaped convict.

Ah! Thanks for that - yes that does make sense.
Isabell Hoffmann

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout: New Vegas