He almost fell off the cliff!

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:32 am

What the hell is a perk by definition any ways? Is it the same thing as a bonus or something? Like how in TESII, we had "acute hearing" and "adrenaline rush" and so forth?
Danial Zachery

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:32 am

It always bothered me in Oblivion and fallout that you could basically scale down 100 foot cliffs with ease. May be nice if you could actually climb this time.
Natalie Taylor

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:24 am

But.... What if you're trying to jump off the cliff? Say onto a ledge or something?

Then push the jump button, it's quite obvious.
darnell waddington

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:28 am

What I was wondering is why the dragon didn't simply knock him off to his doom

It did the first 11 times they tried this :)
It's a movie put together by many scenes and lots of reload and retry to get it jus right.
Add Meeh

Post » Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:09 pm

Then push the jump button, it's quite obvious.

Yeah. I'm hoping that it will be hard to walk off a cliff but if you jump or get smashed/thrown then it's a different story
Stay-C

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:02 am

Maybe if you try to run off a cliff, the first time your character stops and gains their balance. If you run at the cliff again, you can just run straight off. Kinda like a safety warning?
Richard Dixon

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:54 am

I hope we have momentum and that's what happens when we are sprinting and suddenly stop and press the back button.

You had momentum in Daggerfall, I once teleported to the dungeon entrance while falling, it killed me and I wondered why for a long time until I understood I was still falling fast after teleporting.
Not sure if it work in Morrowind but you can actually fast travel while falling in Oblivion.
Causon-Chambers

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:49 am

He didn't seem to have legs, i wonder how he even could stand!
Matt Gammond

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:04 pm

The optimism is strong in this thread.
However I am much more pessimistic and as such I believe that while the trailer was technically 'in game' in a graphical sense, it would not be playable at certain parts. The scene in question seemed to me like it was more of a short in game cutscene, than a playable section.
You have to watch out for how the silver tongued devs spin their words. Just because they say everything in the trailer is in game doesn't mean that everything in the trailer is actually playable.
Ann Church

Post » Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:59 pm

After posting last night, I just read over the thread. I am going with this feature being a real in game feature that you have. I like the sprinting thoughts, makes sense.

My thoughts are that they showed us this off balance shot, because balance is going to be a lot more important in this " mountainous" new world, therefore could certainly be perk/ skill related.
Katy Hogben

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:29 am

By "gameplay" they meant that it was happening in the actual engine, but that almost falling off the cliff part is most definitely a scripted animation. You guys are being too optimistic, Bethesda has stretched the truth before.

edit: Oh, Squizzo already said the same thing, I should really read the whole thread before posting.
TOYA toys

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:41 am

By "gameplay" they meant that it was happening in the actual engine, but that almost falling off the cliff part is most definitely a scripted animation. You guys are being too optimistic, Bethesda has stretched the truth before.

edit: Oh, Squizzo already said the same thing, I should really read the whole thread before posting.

I agree. Remember he had facial expressions? I doubt they'll give those (or much at least) to the player.
Nadia Nad

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:23 am

My guess is this:

He was sprinting.

Whenever you transition from a sprint to a dead stop, he kind of slides to a halt and puts his arm out in front of him. I think this will happen wherever you are if you perform this action. It looked esp cool by the side of a cliff but I suspect you can sprint and then stop in the middle of the forest and his hand will come out to maintain balance.

Yeah I think this is probably most accurate. Could also be linked to athletics or maybe a new balance attribute, as said earlier. Either way, very cool!
CSar L

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:04 pm

yeah because all those times in GTA4 when i stopped running and Niko skidded to a stop were scripted.

and all those times in Mario, now that i mention it.

i mean i can understand you kids going HURR ITS ALL SCRIPTED in reference to the DRAGON FIGHT, but seriously, this? sprinting? you're trying way too hard.
Tammie Flint

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:55 am

I just hope its not an invisible barrier.
If I want to jump to my death I should be able to.

It does look very cool though.
Kristina Campbell

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:59 am

I think it is what happens when you sprint to the edge of a cliff. If you were just running or if you jump you would fall.
Leticia Hernandez

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:32 am

He didn't seem to have legs, i wonder how he even could stand!

With power of love!
LittleMiss

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:58 am

yeah because all those times in GTA4 when i stopped running and Niko skidded to a stop were scripted.

and all those times in Mario, now that i mention it.

i mean i can understand you kids going HURR ITS ALL SCRIPTED in reference to the DRAGON FIGHT, but seriously, this? sprinting? you're trying way too hard.

No, he's just suggesting that parts of that trailer may have been in-game-engine cutscenes. Rather than actual "gameplay".

(To me, the people saying "oh yeah, it's just GOT to be fancy edge-of-a-cliff sprinting animations they've included in the gameplay!" come across as trying way too hard. But that's different perceptions for ya. :shrug:)
Georgine Lee

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:06 am

(To me, the people saying "oh yeah, it's just GOT to be fancy edge-of-a-cliff sprinting animations they've included in the gameplay!" come across as trying way too hard. But that's different perceptions for ya. :shrug:)

I feel the same way about people who insist that it's just scripted for the trailer. Though both are possible.
Brian Newman

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:55 am

they're assuming Bethesda saying "the trailer is all in-game footage" means the trailer is all in-game footage. you're assuming Bethesda saying "the trailer is all in-game footage" means "the trailer is a scritpted cutscene/in-engine render/not actual in-game footage".
James Smart

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:33 am

So you guys think this animation plays EVER TIME your character stops sprinting? Thats a horrid idea! Maybe if you push the back button right after sprinting to stop yourself but otherwise I would find this to be incredibly annoying.
Elea Rossi

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:30 am

they're assuming Bethesda saying "the trailer is all in-game footage" means the trailer is all in-game footage. you're assuming Bethesda saying "the trailer is all in-game footage" means "the trailer is a scritpted cutscene/in-engine render/not actual in-game footage".

Yes, that is exactly what we're saying.
I've seen devs bend the truth through a careful selection of words in this exact same manner during the development of several games. In game means just that... it is in the game, but that doesn't mean that it can't be an in game cutscene
barbara belmonte

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:42 am

If that is an automatic save-your-life perk , then I hate it. Because we get to control our character, any way we want. And if we see a cliff, we can choose to jump over it, or walk to the edge. Without any automatic actions that our character makes by himself.
louise tagg

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:19 am

Guys, seriously.

That animation had nothing to do with the cliff. The character was running, the character sprinted, then the character came to an abrupt halt and skidded/swayed a bit. It only so happens that this took place near a cliff, which I'm sure gamesas had to try more than once to get right.

It probably is in the game. It probably does not happen every time you stop moving, but only when you stop sprinting, which is probably something you have to hold down a button to do.
emily grieve

Post » Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:53 am

Guys, seriously.

That animation had nothing to do with the cliff. The character was running, the character sprinted, then the character came to an abrupt halt and skidded/swayed a bit. It only so happens that this took place near a cliff, which I'm sure gamesas had to try more than once to get right.

It probably is in the game. It probably does not happen every time you stop moving, but only when you stop sprinting, which is probably something you have to hold down a button to do.

Re quoting myself

So you guys think this animation plays EVER TIME your character stops sprinting? Thats a horrid idea! Maybe if you push the back button right after sprinting to stop yourself but otherwise I would find this to be incredibly annoying.

When you're running and you stop, you dont just abruptly stop and put your hand out, you slow down and it turns into a walk.
Marcia Renton

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim