And my childhood goes up in flames..

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:01 am

I'm 39 years old and fell in love with the first 2 Fallout games as they were unique and provided game play never quite seen before. But I'm not going to get hung up on nitpicking the past.

I realize that you (Bethesda) had to stay as true as possible to the Fallout lore with the third game since it was a sequel to the original stories of the first 2 games. You made some small, but large improvements when it came to the 3d views and voice acting. Kudos!

Then Obsidian created a side-sequel that expanded upon the third game. What some people might not know though, is that Obsidian was founded by and made up of many of the same designers/programmers responsible for the second Fallout game. Barring some technical glitches, of course they did a great job with it, because it was their brain-child they were working with!

However, there are some major things that violate the Fallout lore with this 4h installment:

The protagonist talks... fully voiced and so on. This isn't a minor detail when it comes to an RPG, it a very large, very noticeably detail. We can no longer create our character's voice in our heads when you've already done it for us!

Our destiny is pre-determined. Although we can make a choice, our choices all lead down the same path and end up doing the same things. It's as if you saw gamers creating their own min-games in Fallout 3, got upset by them not "playing it your way" and decided to now, leave them no choice.

The vaults are social experiments.... Albeit, creative, you've just essentially flipped-off those of us who grew up playing this series. No, seriously... this is like a 16 year old kid learning that he was adopted when he was 2. If you recall the first game, the Vaults weren't necessarily bad things - people even founded post-war settlements around their vaults. Now we're led to believe they're some sort of government conspiracy-experiment.

You've also taken one of the most iconic pieces of the Fallout universe and handed it to us on a silver platter right from the get go; Power Armor.

I really don't think you (Bethesda) "get it" about the Fallout franchise. The protagonist has and never was meant to be an uber-curb-stomping-Deathclaw-killer right out of the gate. We're supposed to get our asses handed to us by Radscorpions for a while... a long while, before we are ready to get our asses handed to us again by a Deathclaw or shredded by a super-mutant's Gatling Gun. The fun was going back to those Deathclaws and super-mutants with our new "toys" and using them as target practice later on!

Crafting, survival games have been done. They've been done better and with more detail by games that are specifically designed to be crafting-survival games - Eg: 7 Days to Die. When you're making an RPG as detailed and complex as Fallout -should have- been, you don't have time or resources to waste on other features like crafting and base-building. Let the games that specialize in that, take care of that. The job of a Fallout RPG is to immerse us in the world of a lowly apocalypse survivor and let us grow with him/her over the course of the game where we get to choose who he/she is and what they do.

This game, although good in its own right, should not be called Fallout 4. Calling it that, feels like an insult to everything I knew and loved about the entire franchise.

Destinyscharm

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:55 pm

the voiced protag has little to do with the game being a "fallout game"

EVERY fallout game has you given you a background and main quest that you HAVE To finish, that always lead to the same end, so that entire paragraph is pretensious and completely incorrect, mayb eyo ushould play the game s you "love so much", heck Fallout 1's main quest was TIMED.

Vaults have mostly been social experiments since Fallout 2, this is nothing new at all, and actually, up until fallout 4, both 3 and NV both seemed to suggest EVERYONE in vault tec were horrible monsters who were in on the whole "do horrible things to people" thing. Fallout 4 brings back the fact that not everyone in vault-tec were horrible

yeah, you are given power armor....and then have it have limited use until much later, when you have more power cores.

This is not a survival game and was never meant to be, this is still an RPG, just like the originals..

Also, Bethesda owns fallout, so what they call fallout IS FALLOUT, whether you agree with it or not, besides, at least they did not make the Brotherhood of Steel game.

Laura Wilson

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:07 pm

This made me laugh.

Jamie Lee

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:54 pm

Eh...you do realise this was established as lore in Fallout 2 right?
darnell waddington

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:29 am

This guy has clearly not played the Fallout games in a long time and has forgotten a lot of teh details of the game......also he fails to talk about things that ACTUALLY break the lore, like the T-60 power armor, Jet from Pre-war era, and Vertibirds in teh pre-war era.

Samantha Mitchell

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:18 pm

Meh T-60 nor vertibirds dont bother me, Fallout history is muddy enough Beth can squeeze in a retcon for those, Jet was kinda a goof, but I assume that was a error by the writers and not a intentional lore break.
Cat

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 1:30 pm

same, they do not realy effect the story, and yeah the Jet thing was likely a slip-up, since it being created was a MAJOR plot point of fallout 2, but that is the ONLY major gripe in terms of lore, and even that can be screwed around by saying "different type of jet". The fact the OP fails to mention these things though, kind of prove he was not really a Fallout fan to begin with.

Ian White

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:17 am

I agree that Bethesda "doesn't get Fallout". However, I disagree with all the examples you've given to support that statement. Voiced protagonist would be fine if done well, vaults-as-experiments was Black Isle's pooch to screw, and the progression curve can and should reflect the current iteration of the setting. It's the tone, humor, and internal logic (how much things make sense within the world) of the Fallout setting that I think they fall flat on.

Loane

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:23 am

It has everything to do with a Fallout game, don't you see? You can't make any decisions that are not pre-recorded by the voice actor. If you recall the first game, you could take out an entire settlement and then the game would recap what the world would be like afterwards, noting the genocide you committed. Not so much when you're tied to a rail and shoved through the story.

Eve(G)

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:24 am

They didn't try to, they just made it into a Sci-Fi TES :shrug:
Understandably svcks for old fans, but i (mostly) like ^_^

Well, maybe they tried with 3, but this one has been fully Bethesda'd :hehe:
Jennifer Munroe

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:37 am

I can kill a Kid in In this game (at least you can not give him the cure) and the game reacts, everyone in the vault HATES me afterwords.

besides that, you call yourself a "fan of the series since the original", but someone like me, who started with fallout, seems to know more about the lore problems with fallout 4 then you do.

JAY

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:14 am

Lol, same. Fallout lore lol.

R.I.p MOmmy

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:06 am

Well you best get over it. This is probably the best selling Bethesda game to date and the vast majority of players just dont give a [censored] about how its "not a real RPG" and "This ruins the Lore" and "the voiced protag ruins my immersion" etc etc. Gaming is changing, a lot more people play games now than they did when those original fallouts came out. People may cry " its becoming casual" when in fact games are changing to reach the widest audience possible, and creating games that anyone can just pick up and play.

IMO Bethesda has taken a step in the right direction with Fallout, and if you expect any new Fallouts to be like the originals than you will be dissappointed.

lisa nuttall

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:04 am

You haven't payed much attention to Fallout 2, then. It was establishered there that yes, Vaults were some sort of government conspiracy-experiment.

Danii Brown

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:50 am

Correct. Exactly what I was thinking.

Sweet Blighty

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:34 pm

The current iteration does nothing to harm your nostalgia of the first 2 games. You can still play them and enjoy them. Kinda like how Hitman Absolution's direction does nothing to harm the previous sandbox-assassin titles like Contracts, SA2, or Blood Money.

Assumptah George

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:26 am

Man... i just enjoy the freaking [censored] out of this game. :D

I loved Fallout 3 and TES titles... and Jesus, Fallout 4 is like the best Shooter i've played in a long while combined with an epic story and a rpg alike System.

ITS FREAKING AMAZING.

Now all we need is a Real Needs And Deseases Mod for FO4 and maybe some dlcs that extend the world a little. <3

Edit: Oh... and maybe "some" bugfixes. :s Just... here and there. All over the place. :D

Emily Graham

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:20 am

Funnily enough I thought they tried harder with this one. Yeah, pre-war Jet is a huge continuity error, but Fallout 3 gave the impression that the developers just skimmed the wiki, and threw a few Fallout factions and icons into a generic post-apocalyptic game that played like TES.

With Fallout 4 it feels like Bethesda has a better grasp of the series' main themes. I have plenty of issues with it, but I think Fallout 4 is a step in the right direction when compared to Fallout 3.

GEo LIme

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:35 am

All I got from this is that TS is mad because he can't play the game with the voices in his head.

Emma louise Wendelk

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:25 am

Of all the things they retconned, you went with the examples that don't even apply?

Dean

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:21 pm

There is a mod out already that fixes some of the bugs.
Kelvin

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 3:34 am

that is what makes me personally believe he is not actually a fan of the series, and is just using it to justify a rant. I have NEVER actually finished either game, I think Fallout 1's timed main quest is one of the WORST mechanics you could ever put into a open world RPG......but even I know of how many problems fallout 4 caused with lore (good or bad), yet he fails to mention any of them and he calls himself a longime fan?

Solène We

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:16 am

0 to this post. Why bc u just stuck on the past dude. Game are born and evolve. If fallout stay the same for over this long no one will play it only the hard-core fans will play it. Voice have 0 impact on Fallout bc like it or no ur background was pre establish on each of the past Fallouts. As u can see on this forums Obsidian didnt really do nothing great bc u will find out half the ppl like FNV over F3 and the other half like F3 over FNV.

So really this is just ur opinion and im glad, like i said if previews post like this, that u arent making games, bc like it or no Fallout have evolve to this and is a really good game that alot ALOT of ppl enjoy.

Abi Emily

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 7:39 am

See, that was one of the things I really loved about it. I hate the disconnect most games have between the story insisting "Oh, no! Bad Thing X is going to happen right frickin' now!", but the player can take as much time as they want to pick flowers, raise some chocobos, or level their Basketweaving skill and Bad Thing X will sit there patiently with its thumb up its *** waiting for the player to get around to starting the quest. If Bad Thing X needs to be stopped immediately and the player ignores it, Bad Thing X should very well show up and wreck some flower-picking face. Save that crap for when people aren't depending on you.

Yama Pi

Post » Thu Dec 03, 2015 8:27 am

I agree with every point except the Vaults.

I feel that Beth pulled off a creative spin with the Vaults- One that fits well within the Fallout universe. That is one of the changes I do enjoy.
Kelli Wolfe

Next

Return to Fallout Series Discussion