Are we going to be sick of the snow?

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:40 pm

Bruma was at a high elevation compared to the rest of Cyrodil, that said I don't think Skyrim will be all snow, I'd assume that once you get into skyrim there will be several areas where the mountains give way to verdant valley's below and such. Obviously there will be plenty of snow, but like I said I'm sure there will be a mix.
Luis Longoria

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:59 pm

Indeed, simply being further North doesn't necessarily result in more snow or colder temperatures. I live in Scotland and whilst we're at the same latitude as Newfoundland and Moscow, it's warmer here in winter than it is in New York or many places in southern Europe. Things like sea currents (e.g. the gulf stream bringing warm water from the Caribbean) can make a big difference to temperatures.

Getting a bit off topic, but bottom line is it would be quite permissible to have areas in the North have less snow than some areas further South.

Indeed. And the mountains directly implicates that Skyrim will be COMPLETELY FROZEN despite any sea currents. The mountains shield Cyrodil from the ice cold winds coming from the North (or shield Skyrim from warm currents coming from Cyrodil). This means that there will be NO "green" areas WHATSOEVER, judging by Bruma's weather....

Unless there is some ultra-current warming up Skyrim's coastlines...
roxanna matoorah

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:10 pm

Tamriel isn't Earth (and doesn't have to follow its climactic conventions). While its north of Cyrodiil it doesn't necessarily have to be a frozen wasteland. The mountainous regions will probably be cold and snowy, but I'd bet the lower elevation areas and coast will have more varied terrain, flora and fauna.
Alex [AK]

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:51 am

i say it will be about 60 to 70% snow

but as long as we dont get ash lands and swamps i will be happy.
Andrea P

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:44 pm

Tamriel isn't Earth (and doesn't have to follow its climactic conventions). While its north of Cyrodiil it doesn't necessarily have to be a frozen wasteland. The mountainous regions will probably be cold and snowy, but I'd bet the lower elevation areas and coast will have more varied terrain, flora and fauna.

Pretty much everything in tamriel is realistic, except when magic comes into the picture... This must include low & high pressure areas (but perhaps beth will completely ignore that, who knows).
josh evans

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:04 pm

Indeed. And the mountains directly implicates that Skyrim will be COMPLETELY FROZEN despite any sea currents. The mountains shield Cyrodil from the ice cold winds coming from the North (or shield Skyrim from warm currents coming from Cyrodil). This means that there will be NO "green" areas WHATSOEVER, judging by Bruma's weather....

Unless there is some ultra-current warming up Skyrim's coastlines...

Kirov: Skyrim isn't completely surrounded by land. Only one of it's borders is the Jerall Mountains. It has a seacoast. Now, it's true the coastal area is the far northern reach of Skyrim, BUT, the far northern coast of Vvardenfell was portrayed as being temperate in MW. When you look at the map of http://uesp.net/wiki/File:TamrielMap.jpg, the northern coasts of Vvardenfell and Skyrim are almost the same lattitude. So, it seems plausible that the northern sea has some sort of warm current which keeps those areas (as well as High Rock) at least somewhat temperate, while Skyrim might be colder farther inland, as others have suggested.
Portions

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:12 pm

I'm expecting a quite varied climate.

I don't think for a second they'd develop an all snow map, that would just be boring and a bad idea.

One of Oblivions selling points was how pretty it was and lots of nice screenshots of forests and plains.
RAww DInsaww

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:46 am

I didn't get sick of all the grass in Oblivion so I don't see a problem with snow.
Anthony Rand

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:26 pm

I didn't get sick of all the grass in Oblivion so I don't see a problem with snow.

there are different types of grass in Oblivion from the colourful forests to the brownish highlands, then there is the snowy areas and the swamps.

All snow will be just all snow and maybe some rocks showing.
Hope Greenhaw

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:29 pm

For someone like me who lives north of the polar circle its kinda funny to hear this discussion and concern about an all snow map. The climate can be quite varied even this far north. We even have beaches. Water is somewhat cold though! And its not like Tamriel is real life anyway, even if the more southern parts of it have a more southern climate and northern parts have more mountains and arid lands.

I pictuire Skyrim to have some snowy locations, some dense forrest and river areas, and coastal areas with no snow whatsoever. Cant wait to explore it!
Sweet Blighty

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:54 am

This is exactly why I propose seasonal changes.

Ya know how Oblivion had days and months but no seasons? We could play for years in game and nothing changed.

I want winter to come with the winter months and summer to come during the summer months. I want holidays celebrated in towns, festivals and what not. Kinda like Harvest Moon.
luis dejesus

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:00 am

Of course there is going to be different terran other then just snowly plains given that A). Skyrim isn't all snow and ice and there could always be rectons to the lore which is not really needed because B ) Lore wise in the war of (1.) Bend'r-Mahk where the Nords waged war on the Red Guards land Hammerfel which is desert really with the red guards still trying to reclaim the terratory there meaning that Skyrim should have lands comparable to that of a arid land scape. In the same war the Nords also took over so High Rock's lands from the Britons increasing Skyrims own territory. Afterall its not like all of Skyrim is all snow given as we all know that Nords being the conquering berserking vikings that we know and love has been expanding their territory for years. So yes Skyrim won't just be all snow and ice given that lore wise that is not the case further more the designers can always do what they have done for Cyrodiil and adjust the climate conditions there and do make changes as needed to make a interesting game.

(1). Lore confirmed by the Pocket guide to the Empire
Curveballs On Phoenix

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:47 am

Not me. Snow is better than other terrain IMO.
Tom Flanagan

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:52 am

I heard it will be like canada. Some snow, some beach, some forests. A variety of terrain.
Laurenn Doylee

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:34 am

I'm not worried about the snow. I know we are going to get a varied, temperate landscape. However, that is a problem in and of itself, because I cannot think of a single environment that we could have in Skyrim that we didn't have in Cyrodiil (Oblivion).

I love everything about the Nords, but I would have preferred a game set somewhere we haven't seen, specifically deserts/jungles. Cool thing about Nords is that as invaders, raiders, and seafarers, you expect to see them anywhere. I don't know how well Argonians will fit into Skyrim.

But if J40Kfan is right, maybe we will see deserts. As long as the map is big enough to make the transition well.
Da Missz

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:33 pm

After this horrible blizzard we just had Minnesota and having to shovel it my whole weekend you get very sick of snow. It would be cool if they had seasons, like the snow would melt in some areas during spring and summer, I don't think Oblivion had seasons other than some months would rain more than others....
Nathan Risch

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:06 pm

That's because grass was a good texture.

Snow just seems like a bad idea to do anything in. I remember how dull it was in Bloodmoon.
Laura Hicks

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:33 am

Heh...Skyrim is not just all snow. Winterhold and Falkreath might hold most of the snowy areas and the Throat of the World but Eastmarch and The Reach are mainly huge Pine forest areas. The Reach extends into High Rock as well so we'll see rocky grasslands as well.
Steven Hardman

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:53 pm

I just assumed it was Skyrim because that's what the graphics make the coolest pictures of. Ponds and mountains and grass
Philip Lyon

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:04 am

Tamriel is not Earth, Davor.

Dang, I wish it was, though. There might be some forest around, but blanketed in snow.
Benito Martinez

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:45 am

The Imperial Library does a pretty good job of explaining Skyrim's geographic features. Skyrim is not all snow, a common misconception of people here.
Alex Vincent

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:34 am

.....The Reach are mainly huge Pine forest areas.

That wouls be amazing. I love British Columbia's wilderness, and it would be incredible to explore something like this http://images.inmagine.com/img/radiusimages/rds107/rds107436.jpg
Dalton Greynolds

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:51 am

I was thinking about this earlier. I hope there are snow storms, light snow, etc.
patricia kris

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:54 am

I tend to think of Skyrim as Colorado. The mountains are lined with pine trees and only near the peaks and higher elevations does the air moisture freeze and blanket the ground in snow. Im more than positive we won't see just "all snow". That would be obtuse of Bethesda.
NEGRO

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:22 am

Just because you see snow doesn't mean that Skyrim is 100% snowed in. The only reason you see snow is because that is a northern region of Tamriel, and it's also the border of the allowed world in Oblivion, which is on a massive mountain. Just as in real life, those mountains are used as natural borders. It's nature to see snow in that region.

Just like in Cyrodiil, Skyrim will have low, and high peaks. Varied terrain. It would be strange to see a consistent environment.
Josh Trembly

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim