Are we going to be sick of the snow?

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:40 am

Well seeing how we went up north border of Cyrodil it was all snow covered that would mean, that the snow starts in the south border of Skyrim. So would this mean it's snow all over the place? I would miss the grass lands, unfrozen lakes and rivers and varied terrian that we got in Morrowind and Oblivion. I want grasslands, marshes, beaches rocky terrian. I don't know my lore that much about Skyrim, so do you think we can varied terrian in Skyrim? If so, how so? If we have snow and ice on the northern border of Cyrodil how can we have non artic terrian in Skyrim then?

I would not like to be playing Bloodmoon 2 for the entire game.
Carlos Rojas

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:43 am

OK, now HOW did I miss this!?

Anyway, I don't think I'll be sick of snow. Bethesda could add frozen tundra as well if they wanted.
Elizabeth Davis

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:22 am

Sick of snow and ice? impossible :o. I like it more then grass. And you know, you still have forests and variety, its not just all one big white blanket with some mountains on.

Im no expert on TES lore etc. but the north coast should be without snow, it is the inland of Skyrim that would be coldest. While the coast would be windy and without trees and snow.
Joanne

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:14 am

I think there will be forested areas, and I'm pretty sure all the lakes/rivers won't be frozen. If it were all snow, that would be lame.
Paula Ramos

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:39 pm

Its not all going to be all ice and snow but it will be cold as the Nord in Anvil was complaining about it.
neen

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:54 am

If you have a question why not ask in the podcast questions thread as it is now a project that has been announced?
RAww DInsaww

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:00 pm

northern Cyrodiil was also almost entirely mountains. higher elevations have a tendency to be a bit cold.
BrEezy Baby

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:54 pm

I want to see dragon fire melt the snow and turn it into puddles of water which then become ice..
Cameron Wood

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:57 am

How can you have warmer weather north of the Cyrodil Northern border? If it already has snow and ice, how can you have warmer weather then? This is why I ask. I can't see Skyrim's southern border be non-artic climate.
Ludivine Poussineau

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:24 pm

yeah I got sick of snow in bloodmoon..

if the whole game is all snow and ice I will not be a happy camper.
Lily Something

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:57 am

Tamriel is not Earth, Davor.
Lyd

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:34 pm

How can you have warmer weather north of the Cyrodil Northern border? If it already has snow and ice, how can you have warmer weather then? This is why I ask. I can't see Skyrim's southern border be non-artic climate.

Well ive no idea how the sea and streams work in Tamriel XD. But this is how it is in real life, in northern Europe(Norway, Iceland, Russia etc.), it is the inland that is coldest in form of temperature. Even though the north coast can have a effective colder temperature due to the wind. So the coast can feel colder and have harsher weather, but less snow(tho more ice).

Take North-Norway Finnmark for example, at the coast there normal winter temperature is -15 celsius, with a lot of wind. But if you drive 3hours into the inland of that region, it can often be as cold as -50 celsius. Even in the Norwegian island Svalbard this is true. Due to sea obviously.
But since TES dont have seasons etc. and is fantasy world its kinda hard to know.
We'll know once they give out a detailed map i guess or answer it.

Wouldnt really bother me if it was all snow, but could be cool if they added a few small regions without it too(perhaps melted by some sort of magic or whatever).
Jack Bryan

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:13 am

In my whole live, I've seen so much grass and forests, but I rarely see snow (even when I see it, its for very short time and very small amount of it).
Morrowind has unique landscape. Oblivion has too usual landscape, it looks very beautiful, but I got bored of it after so many years, both in Oblivion and in my life.
After downloading Elsweyr mod , I was really fascinated, and I really liked playing there.

In Skyrim, I want to see unique snow landscape. I dont want the same snow environment as around Bruma , I want to see it greatly improved. I won't be sick of too much snow, because I really love it. There should be few places without snow, too...
R.I.p MOmmy

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:53 am

I think that people are un-aware of Skyrim. The terrain of Skyrim, according to Daggerfall, is like Morrowind but with essence of High Rock. Most of this terrain is covered in snow all year round, but some areas of snow melt. Will we become sick of the snow? I highly doubt it. :homestar:

Also, Cyrodill wasn't a snowy province but had a fair bit of snow. I might be wrong about what i said, but it is possible that certain area's are Snow-free.

Also, who says It's just in Skyrim? I wouldn't rule out the possibilities of other provinces till we get some real information.
casey macmillan

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:53 pm

I hope the landscape in Skyrim isn't completely dominated by snow. I liked the variety in Oblivion. From the warm, stuffy marshes near Leyawiin to the freezing, snowy mountain tops of Bruma. Its one of the reasons I love the game so much. Although we're sure to see loads of snow in Skyrim I think we will see some variety in the terrain.....I hope. :-P
hannah sillery

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 9:32 pm

How do you get tired of snow, man?!
Roanne Bardsley

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:08 am

How do you get tired of snow, man?!

Well, when you live somewhere where you have snow 7 months out of the year, snow gets really boring.
Kate Norris

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:40 am

We could always ask Bethesda in the next podcast. "Hey is Skyrim going to be all snow 24/7 or is there going to be variety in the different landscapes".
SUck MYdIck

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:27 pm

We could always ask Bethesda in the next podcast. "Hey is Skyrim going to be all snow 24/7 or is there going to be variety in the different landscapes".

I am actually pretty sure they already said it was going to be more of a "Canada".
Love iz not

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:29 am

Haven't you people heard of SUMMER? You migh get bored of snow, yes, but then comes the spring. Then, after you're tired of the sunshine, comes the fall.

There are no people whatsoever living in any areas that have full year snow coverage. Skyrim isn't that kind of area, obivously. Expect for the mountaintops.

How silly are you guys?
jodie

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 5:02 pm

Haven't you people heard of SUMMER? You migh get bored of snow, yes, but then comes the spring. Then, after you're tired of the sunshine, comes the fall.

There are no people whatsoever living in any areas that have full year snow coverage. Skyrim isn't that kind of area, obivously. Expect for the mountaintops.

How silly are you guys?

Yea it could not be full of snow all seasons, as there would be no way they could survive in the inland then, not the wildlife either. In real life its hard enough to survive without fish in the northern regions, and for the wildlife to survive even through just 5months of snow.
Though in the game it will depend on if they have seasons(seems unlikely) or during what season the game is set i guess :P
Racheal Robertson

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:46 am

I can so imagine a heroic adventurer running up a slope with his sword thrust out and yelling an epic battle call when he suddenly slips, falls and rolls back down the slope. Epic call turns into pitiful scream for help. :P

Anyway, I'd rather it wasn't all just snow. I personally don't like snow in real life, though that's not going to put me off playing Skyrim when it comes out. I'll deal with it, though I'd like some non-snowy areas. And I don't think that's going to happen, since Skyrim is said to consist of snowy terrain, and for the geographical reasons the OP described - being North of Cyrodiil, which has snow in it's Northern parts.

EDIT // Didn't think about seasons... I wonder, if seasons were implemented into Oblivion, would Bruma have snow all-year round or just in the winter? This could give us some idea of whether or not Skyrim has full-year snowy terrain, or just in the late fall - winter - early spring times.
Ladymorphine

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 8:42 pm

... How many threads is there about this ! SKYRIM ISN't GREENLAND, THINK OF IT AS CANADA !
Lexy Corpsey

Post » Thu Aug 13, 2009 10:04 pm

Maybe the south border of Skyrim that borders with Cyrodiil is considered a part with high mountains? It's possible that other places exist at a lower elevation, without snow.
Floor Punch

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:15 am

... How many threads is there about this ! SKYRIM ISN't GREENLAND, THINK OF IT AS CANADA !

Midnight Sun, dark winter days, northern lights. And good hockey players. I like it.

Seriously, if they were able to implement seasons in TES2 back in the day, they sure as hell can do it now.
Jennie Skeletons

Next

Return to V - Skyrim