Argonians in Skyrim: totally badass or freakin' awesome?

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:07 pm

This is a thread dedicated to the most badass race in Tamriel, the Argonians.

What other race can look you in the eye and say, "Hells yeah I'm cold blooded, but I'm so awesome that I'm not gonna let it get me down, and I'm gonna kick some ass in Skyrim whether you like it or not anyway!"

Sure, they might go insane from being so far from the Hist, but do you think they're gonna let it get them down? Hells no!

So! Post your love for everybody's favourite gilled lizard tree people, and don't forget to post suggestions for wintery names! (Freezes-His-Tongue-On-Poles and Eats-Yellow-Snow, anyone?)
Lyd

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:33 pm

Argonians have always been my favorite race.
Valerie Marie

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:54 pm

Can someone explain how the whole Hist thing works? My only experience with Hist was the Fighters-Guild questline in Oblivion.
Rach B

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:15 am

Wait, where was it confirmed that there were Argonians in Skyrim? :whistling:

they might go insane from being so far from the Hist

Not to mention freeze to death.
james kite

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:27 pm

Argonians are too badass to freeze to death. Hence the thread. :P

Can someone explain how the whole Hist thing works? My only experience with Hist was the Fighters-Guild questline in Oblivion.

I really recommend you read The Infernal City (they don't sell it here, so I got it from Amazon.com. Totally worth it!), as it explains everything. Basically, imagine the Hist are a queen bee, and the Argonians are the workers. And the queen in question reincarnates the souls of dead workers (the Argonian's version of the Waters of Oblivion that the Daedra use, or the Dreamsleeve that everyone else uses). And every queen is mentally linked to the others, except for rougue Hist, like the one in Lilmoth and the one the Blackwood Company has.
stevie trent

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:18 am

At the moment we have almost no information about the game so we can't be sure that all of the playable races from TES III and TES IV will be in TES V. There was an impressive riot on the forums when we were told that Khajiit and Argonians wouldn't be playable races in Morrowind so it's possible they'll make sure everyone is included. On the other hand Argonians probably aren't well suited to the terrain - how many living Argonians were there in the entire Bloodmoon expansion, one?
Vivien

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:38 pm

There was an impressive riot on the forums when we were told that Khajiit and Argonians wouldn't be playable races in Morrowind....

Oh I'm sure there was a riot about that, I was only around these forums when Morrowind hit GOTY (thanks to Toonami for sparking intrest), I missed all that, then again, myself picking Khajiit, I felt IRONY (if that hints you on anything).
Emily Graham

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:34 pm

At the moment we have almost no information about the game so we can't be sure that all of the playable races from TES III and TES IV will be in TES V. There was an impressive riot on the forums when we were told that Khajiit and Argonians wouldn't be playable races in Morrowind so it's possible they'll make sure everyone is included. On the other hand Argonians probably aren't well suited to the terrain - how many living Argonians were there in the entire Bloodmoon expansion, one?

Good point.

Still, Skyrim's a varied place. I don't think we'll see many in the mountains, but I'm sure we'll see some near the borders of Hammerfell and Cyrodiil. I hope.
Etta Hargrave

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:55 pm

I've always had my first playthrough be as an argonian, and i always come back to play as an argonian again. Definitely my favorite race.
kitten maciver

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 5:12 pm

Screw Argonians Wood Elves are were it's at.
lacy lake

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:11 pm

Meh, just give us a deadly frostbite drawback or something, where if we are outdoors without proper clothing/magic we take considerable damage until we remedy it.
Mrs. Patton

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:41 pm

Screw Argonians Wood Elves are were it's at.

woodelf for life anyone get me a free copy of tes v is i get it tattooed?
Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:12 pm

I wonder if they'll give the Argonians some weakness to colder areas such as high in the mountains, but maybe give them an extra advantage as well? Like haveing more underwater things (how awesome would an entire area under a lake be?!) or make more diseases an issue. That'd probably be a good way to balance it out without having it unrealistic.
NAkeshIa BENNETT

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:54 am

It's never been stated if Argonians are Warm-blooded or Cold-blooded. And there's probably going to be a riot on the forums if they're not in Skyrim, so they'll probably be retconned as a kind of Reptomammal. Or they'll all stay indoors, but that's unlikely.

Argonians=reptomammels makes sense to me, biologically speaking.
TRIsha FEnnesse

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:52 am

Simple, add a hardcoe Mode like Fallout New Vegas. It makes things harder all around for everyone, but Argonians have the added factor of being able to freeze to death much easier.

It's never been stated if Argonians are Warm-blooded or Cold-blooded. And there's probably going to be a riot on the forums if they're not in Skyrim, so they'll probably be retconned as a kind of Reptomammal. Or they'll all stay indoors, but that's unlikely.

Argonians=reptomammels makes sense to me, biologically speaking.

It might just be due to the technical limitations that forced all races to use the same body mesh, but the female Argonians in Oblivion did have briasts, a unique identifier to mammals which are warm blooded. But it's also worth noting that they had no such things in Morrowind, and (to my knowledge) every Argonian was able to walk around in the nvde because they lack traditional mammalian organs that are considered sixual in nature.
Miranda Taylor

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:18 am

Proof Argonians CAN survive in Skyrim:

"Cephorus concentrated his army on the war in High Rock, while his brother Magnus, King of Lilmoth, brought his Argonian troops through loyal Morrowind and into Skyrim to fight in Potema's home province. The reptilian troops fought well in the summer months, but during the winter, they retired south to regroup and attack again when the weather was warm. At this stalemate, the War lasted out two more years." - The Wolf Queen, Book Seven

They may not have been able to do great during Winter, but they can survive.
Scott Clemmons

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:39 am

Yep, it's hard for me even imagining argonians in a very cold climate because where I live we have no reptiles at all.
Steven Hardman

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 2:44 pm

They could just end up adding a new strain of Argonian that survives at lower temperatures.
Tom Flanagan

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 10:23 am

Are Argonians flat out reptiles?

Either way I can understand it, but I thought argonians were tree things.
Hannah Whitlock

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 8:03 pm

This. :)
Maria Leon

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:54 am

Argonian women in Morrowind don't have briasts. This makes them an inferior race.

(just kidding :teehee: )

i will be happy to see Argoinians complaining about the cold and how they are losing their minds from being so far away from the Hist. Makes me smile. They have funny voices.
Rachel Cafferty

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 9:04 pm

It's been years since I read the Argonian Compendium, and I can't find it on The Imperial Library any more, but Argonians are one of the least fleshed-out in official lore of the races as I recall. The Argonian Compendium actually contains significant chunks of "off-the-record" chats with devs rather than official information. They are, however, definitely not warm-blooded, and most likely not fully reptilian.

Edit: found http://z8.invisionfree.com/People_of_the_Beasts/index.php?showtopic=10 posted elsewhere on the net:

BlueDev
Evil Overlord
Reged: 02/12/01
Re: Do Argonians lay eggs? [Re: Vireyar]
#1948270 - 11/10/03 11:04 AM

Quote:
Or because an Argonian says that he didn't hatch yesterday ... *cough* Just a figure of speech, I suppose.
Which is why I said "Perhaps it is both, as necessity demands."

Never underestimate the adaptability of Argonians, or, more specifically, the power of the Hist to allow Argonians to adapt.

I wouldn't expect to hear an Argonian born in Skyrim (or on Solstheim, for that matter) mention being hatched. Nor would I expect to hear more transient Argonians (say, members of a small, nomadic tribe) speak about laying eggs. However, in warmer climates, in places with established, stable, and permanent communities, you would likely see a great number of eggs.

This means that not only can Argonians live in Skyrim, but can be born there.
Alexandra walker

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:42 pm

Hells ya!
Right-Wind from Bruma gave me some good ideas to stay warm
"You get used to the cold. Got a good set of fur boots to keep my feet warm. Give a Nord a good thumping to keep the blood flowing, khah-khah-khah."
Marquis deVille

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 1:36 pm

I recently tried to play as an Argonian in Oblivion for once. I actually enjoyed it!
Laura Mclean

Post » Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:58 pm

Argonians are part amphibious apparantly, besides if you can be an argonian in daggerfall, which is set in highrock and hammerfell, which are both further away than skyrim , I'm sure the hist isn't driving them too crazy. Plus this assumes every argonian originated in black marsh then migrated away, what about argonians born outside of black marsh and never licked the hist?
willow

Next

Return to V - Skyrim