[WIPz]Atmospheric Cities

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:30 pm

Shameless bump, but I had a question for all of you.

I've been playing a lot of Assassin's Creed, and the idea of just adding house exteriors for appearance's sake with no attached interiors appeals to me (not just for Balmora but in general). What do you think of this idea?

Frankly, there are enough NPCs in Balmora that don't have houses of their own to justify adding more.
Michelle davies

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:20 am

I'll see what I whip up. I don't know much about making quests, but I can see if there's something I can do. Probably only very tiny fetch quests, I don't feel like crafting an epic dungeon dive :D
That is what I was suggesting, most assuredly. Haha.
Daniel Holgate

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:24 pm

Overall status update:

Balmora: Done(ish)
Seyda Neen: WIP, see OP
Vivec: Slow progress on this, I add a merchant cart here or planter there when I feel up to it and I'm getting tired of the Bitter Coast. Vivec is freaking huge, even focusing on one canton at a time (more like one level at a time), it's overwhelming, so I can't just sit down and crap out enhancements in one sitting like I did for Balmora. It'll take time.

I've decided to leave Ald'Ruhn alone because it already looks nearly identical to the concept art, the only difference is the temple and there's already a mod in progress for that. I'll probably take up Pelagiad again at some point, but it's such a dull place that I have no real desire to work on it. Ebonheart... eh, when I feel like it, I haven't given it any thought yet. Ditto for Gnisis, Suran, and a whole host of other cities. I probably will take them up, but not for a long while. Vivec will be out before I consider working on those.
Maeva

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 6:14 pm

Overall status update:

Balmora: Done(ish)
Seyda Neen: WIP, see OP
Vivec: Slow progress on this, I add a merchant cart here or planter there when I feel up to it and I'm getting tired of the Bitter Coast. Vivec is freaking huge, even focusing on one canton at a time (more like one level at a time), it's overwhelming, so I can't just sit down and crap out enhancements in one sitting like I did for Balmora. It'll take time.

I've decided to leave Ald'Ruhn alone because it already looks nearly identical to the concept art, the only difference is the temple and there's already a mod in progress for that. I'll probably take up Pelagiad again at some point, but it's such a dull place that I have no real desire to work on it. Ebonheart... eh, when I feel like it, I haven't given it any thought yet. Ditto for Gnisis, Suran, and a whole host of other cities. I probably will take them up, but not for a long while. Vivec will be out before I consider working on those.

Vivec needs alot of work, alot of the towns do. Ald'Ruhn needs to feel more real, right now it feels like a ghost town.
Len swann

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:17 pm

I keep forgetting to post about this when I post in this thread, Lucien. In the current release of Atmospheric Balmora, there are a lot of objects floating around, especially the streetlights near the bridges and the railings of those bridges. Also, the last stake in the series of stakes for all of the railings are misaligned, lower than all of the other stakes.

You might want to try to add a little bit of lighting to the upper labor town. Perhaps a light on Caius' door and a streetlight near the pump? I don't think that much light would kill the atmosphere... if you've ever wandered around a city, it sort of gives it that "empty alleyway" feel when you have to lights on either end of the street. Very desolate, hopeless. Also makes sense for a streetlight to be there, since the pump is an important place.
Rachel Tyson

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:41 am

:confused: Weird, I could have sworn that I double-checked all the statics. Oh, well. I'll take a look. In regards to the last stake, though, isn't it on the sloped part of the bridge? I can't remember off the top of my head.

I could add some more lighting, but I intentionally made it dark, so I'm kind of reluctant to.

On an unrelated note, however, http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa289/spaceinvader91/Census.png?t=1255406081. This is the new Census and Excise Office. I'm taking extra care to ensure that no aspects of the tutorial are broken by this mod :)
April

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:56 am

:confused: Weird, I could have sworn that I double-checked all the statics. Oh, well. I'll take a look. In regards to the last stake, though, isn't it on the sloped part of the bridge? I can't remember off the top of my head.
Yes, they are on the sloped part of the bridge, though some of them are still "floating off" the bridge regardless, sort of like half connected. Besides that, the ropes from the "stake-and-rope" meshes don't go into the rope tied around the end stakes, which is what made the misalignment stand out to me the most.

I could add some more lighting, but I intentionally made it dark, so I'm kind of reluctant to.
It probably looks fine on a vanilla game. I notice lighting a lot more myself because of my dark night values in my ini, like I mentioned before.
c.o.s.m.o

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:09 pm

On an unrelated note, however, http://i203.photobucket.com/albums/aa289/spaceinvader91/Census.png?t=1255406081. This is the new Census and Excise Office. I'm taking extra care to ensure that no aspects of the tutorial are broken by this mod :)

The building needs windows, and the wall seems to have a sharp corner, you may want to expand it a little more.
Monika

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:12 pm

In-game screen of the latest version of the C/E Office: http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa289/spaceinvader91/?action=view¤t=Morrowind2009-10-1320-41-14-09.jpg

The building needs windows, and the wall seems to have a sharp corner, you may want to expand it a little more.

Those arrow slits are the closest thing that the Imperial fortress/castle set has to windows, and it's hard to see in that screen but I expanded the wall a bit. Thanks for the feedback.
Mrs shelly Sugarplum

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:31 pm

Another update. I've kind of hit a wall with this. Modder's block, if you will. I'm not giving up on this, and I've got a fixed version of my Balmora mod that I need to finalize and upload, but I'm taking a break. Hope to be back with lots of new and fantastic screens relatively soonish. In the meantime, I'll still be around, and probably modding. I just don't want to touch the cities right now.
David Chambers

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:34 pm

In-game screen of the latest version of the C/E Office: http://s203.photobucket.com/albums/aa289/spaceinvader91/?action=view¤t=Morrowind2009-10-1320-41-14-09.jpg
That looks good so far, Lucien. Are you going to also change the interiors at all to match the new 'fortress' style?
Teghan Harris

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:13 pm

At some point, probably. Especially since I need to change the Imperial warehouse interior because it used to connect to the upper level of the Census and Excise office, and that walkway doesn't exist any more.
Christine

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:55 am

any news lucien?
sam

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:50 pm

Not so much. I've been looking at concept art and playing around with some of the cities, but nothing that I've saved. I'll try to have something to offer in the semi-near future :P
Mackenzie

Post » Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:04 am

Thank you very much for sharing this. Looks like a real town now.
Sunnii Bebiieh

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 3:07 pm

not sure if this has been discussed or not, but maybe you should look into combining this mod with the ambient SE for cities: http://planetelderscrolls.gamespy.com/View.php?view=Mods.Detail&id=7440

seems it would fit perfectly with this mod...
K J S

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:49 pm

Haha, I didn't even realize that they were incompatible. Hmm... I could take a look.

Just an update-- I've made some revisions to Balmora based on the current released version. I fixed some technical issues that had been raised, and I'm adding some new houses. I don't know if the project as a whole is still moving forward, but at the very least, there will be an optimal version of my Balmora out soon.
David Chambers

Post » Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:37 pm

Haha, I didn't even realize that they were incompatible. Hmm... I could take a look.

Just an update-- I've made some revisions to Balmora based on the current released version. I fixed some technical issues that had been raised, and I'm adding some new houses. I don't know if the project as a whole is still moving forward, but at the very least, there will be an optimal version of my Balmora out soon.

they aren't it just seems it would save everyone a slot in the lists and would fit seamlessly...
Janine Rose

Previous

Return to III - Morrowind