GI Back Cover Poem. II

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 am

I'm just going to copy this over...

Following this pattern for the first paragraph only:

And using the "dovah" from Dovahkiin" as a key, we get this:

X = not translated
Red = Dovahkiin

Now listen to the song in the trailer, not only to the "dovahxx" (Dovahkiin) match but most of the letters match the sounds they are singing. Especially the first letter words that are translated above.

THIS IS NOT ENGLISH, but I do think it's the written version of the song lyrics. If this IS correct we can then see about translating the non-english words into something....unless GI beats us of course! :P

You actually don't hear "H" in Dovahkiin... I'd rather replace the first two words as D U V A K I N (that's how it's pronounced in my language, and written as a matter of fact.. Bosnian is my mother tongue...) mates from ex-Yugoslavia will understand... :D

We need a sharp ear who'll listen to the song in the trailer/podcast and write the pronunciation letters.

Just an idea, if i'm wrong don't flame, i'm sleepy. :S

Btw, I think that the last word in the 2nd line is VALIN...
Portions

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 9:17 am

My version http://i51.tinypic.com/nq5oht.png

27 characters. It seems to rhyme.

ABCDEFG ABCDEFG
GHI BE JKG IBL CDMFG
ND AOG CBEPI QDRBTMHE DLS CHI
DME RKG GBMBE VHI WMHG
RBA GPLS UBG EBWHG QP AMHI

DME RKG ETI IBLS VMBAD
AP CTA CFGW EB RKG EMD
SBI RBA JXQD NKG EOG QXJ RPGAOG
YIAPKG RXG AB ZPG
EMPJFE CBEPG LSHAGYP
CBSU HG 0DIBE ND AFCBG RKG IOG

Can't be sure though because we don't know what to replace the letters with. Can someone double check my character replacement though? I think it's right, but it would be best if we decide which one is correct.

You are missing the last line of the first paragraph. It's 6 lines long and you only have 5. See my post on the previous page, is the same pattern but seems correct.

The first two words are most likely Dovahkiin and if that's the case the first word on the 6th line is also Dovahkiin. If you listen to the trailer chant at the end Dovahkiin is spoken in just those spots.
Cagla Cali

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 8:19 am

so IF it's another language we can't do a thing until we'll find Rosetta Stone. or maybe, the whole thing IS a revealed part of the Main quest and you'll be hunting the translation for about 10 hours of Gameplay....

Nope, http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/06/february-cover-revealedesv-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx.

It's an exclusive, the first of several "Skyrim stories" they're sharing through the month.
hannaH

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 8:54 am

I'm not sure. Listened to the song a few times with the partial 'translation' you provided and I'm not really sure if that's the song.
Although the double Dovakhiin is a plausible point.

There are THREE instances of Dovahkiin in the song, it's repeated in the last line of the first paragraph (first word). It's in the song if you listen. I am not saying my translation is perfect but the pattern fits.

You actually don't hear "H" in Dovahkiin... I'd rather replace the first two words as D U V A K I N (that's how it's pronounced in my language, and written as a matter of fact.. Bosnian is my mother tongue...) mates from ex-Yugoslavia will understand... :D

We need a sharp ear who'll listen to the song in the trailer/podcast and write the pronunciation letters.

Just an idea, if i'm wrong don't flame, i'm sleepy. :S

Btw, I think that the last word in the 2nd line is VALIN...

I don't think I have the proper key but Dovahkiin DOES fit in the song at those specific places in the first paragarph.

I am convinced the first paragraph is the song. No clue about the second yet though.
JD FROM HELL

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 10:30 am

Nah. Been done before, and it is always a good thing imo. Makes the universe much more immersive.

LOtR did it, turned out great for Tolkien.

In fact, I am pretty certain in the movies the actually speak the languages properly. Which is beyond impressive.

They speak it correctly, but at times had to make up words, which kind of bugged me. Still impressive none the less, but not as good as me. Osp uin i amar thuio galenas a alae aglar.
Nuno Castro

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 4:15 am

ABCDEFG ABCDEFG
GHI BE JKG IBL CDMFG
DME RKG GBMBE VHI WMHG
RBA GPLS UBG EBWHG QP AMHI

DME RKG ETI IBLS VMBAD
AP CTA CFGW EB RKG EMD
YIAPKG RXG AB ZPG
EMPJFE CBEPG LSHAGYP

Can't be sure though because we don't know what to replace the letters with. Can someone double check my character replacement though? I think it's right, but it would be best if we decide which one is correct.

A: 14 B: 21 C: 10 D: 13 E: 17 F: 6 G: 28 H: 9
I: 12 J: 4 K: 7 L: 5 M: 10 N: 3 O: 4 P: 10 Q: 4
R: 9 S: 6 T: 3 U: 2 V: 2 W: 3 X: 3 Y: 2 Z: 1
Eric Hayes

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 6:18 am

You are missing the last line of the first paragraph. It's 6 lines long and you only have 5. See my post on the previous page, is the same pattern but seems correct.

The first two words are most likely Dovahkiin and if that's the case the first word on the 6th line is also Dovahkiin. If you listen to the trailer chant at the end Dovahkiin is spoken in just those spots.

Oops. I do notice however you have my O and C as the same letter, they are VERY similar but not the same. Gonna add that sixth line to mine..
Princess Johnson

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 7:47 am

Chances are high I duplicated

4 and 19, 18 and 28 ?

Good job though !
Sammie LM

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 8:13 am

There are THREE instances of Dovahkiin in the song, it's repeated in the last line of the first paragraph (first word). It's in the song if you listen. I am not saying my translation is perfect but the pattern fits.
Yeah it DOES fit, but I don't hear the other sounds at the places they are.
It could be my bad hearing, ofcourse, because it would be very coincidental (or sneaky) if they'd repeat a certain word at exactly the same places as in the song.
But it's just that I'm not hearing it.
DOVAHxx DOVAHxx
xxx OH xxx xOx VAxxx
xA DVx VOHxx xAxxxxxH Axx
Vxx AxH xxx xOxOH xxx xxxx
xOD xxxx xOx xxxDlO xxx
DOVAHxx xA xxx HOxxx xx Dxxx
Could somebody else check it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGMOMkACtn4
TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 3:22 pm

Yeah, so it isn't english, and I'm pretty sure the symbols are phonetic. That also means decyphering it now isnt really possible because we don't know the words in the dragon language.
Krystina Proietti

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 12:05 pm

Instead of deciphering every letter, I think it's about the prophecy of Dragonborn. A very vague prohecy though... oh such good memories from Morrowind :D
Paula Rose

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 6:09 am

Yeah, so it isn't english, and I'm pretty sure the symbols are phonetic. That also means decyphering it now isnt really possible because we don't know the words in the dragon language.

"What does it say? The answer lies in translating the stanzas into English."
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/06/february-cover-revealedesv-the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim.aspx
QuinDINGDONGcey

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 1:43 pm

Edited - klstefan beat me to it! Ha man this board moves fast.
Gill Mackin

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 9:18 am

Game informer said :What does it say? The answer lies in translating the stanzas into English.

Edit: :toughninja: Double Ninja'd
Jodie Bardgett

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 9:00 am

"What does it say? The answer lies in translating the stanzas into English" -- Game Informer Website
Yes, when we have the key that they give us. We don't have that yet, so we're not going to get anywhere.
CxvIII

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 3:58 am

When is the cipher going live and is it going to be on the hub?
Silvia Gil

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 10:23 am

ABCDEFG ABCDEFG
GHI BE JKG IBL CDMFG
DME RKG GBMBE VHI WMHG
RBA GPLS UBG JKGAMB JHG
ABCDEFG RD UKG EBWHG QP AMHI

DME RKG ETI IBLS VMBAD
AP CTA CFGW EB RKG EMD
YIAPKG RXG AB ZPG
EMPJFE CBEPG LSHAGYP

Okay, let's see...

RKG = THE ... RKG, sorry

DME = AND
Dan Wright

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 2:42 am

Just because they're giving us the cipher today doesn't mean that the words will still be English- that may come in a later thing.

Or have we tried using the Daedric runes? "Vehk" means "V", in that matter.
lexy

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 1:44 pm

i give up just going to wait till the answer key
Paul Rice

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 5:57 pm

Yeah it DOES fit, but I don't hear the other sounds at the places they are.
It could be my bad hearing, ofcourse, because it would be very coincidental (or sneaky) if they'd repeat a certain word at exactly the same places as in the song.
But it's just that I'm not hearing it.

I don't doubt my translation is wrong, I mean there's no way to cram Dovahkiin into the 7 character spot right!? lol

Completely forgetting my translation you can't deny this match that Dovahkiin would fit in these spots which match where it is said in the song:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/2751/dovahkiin.jpg

That's my point lol, the first paragraph = the song in one way or another.

Now what the heck does that second paragraph say!?! My guess is the first paragraph is the non-english translation, the second might be the english translation.
Avril Churchill

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 2:52 pm

Okay, let's see...

RGK = THE

DME = AND

probably not.. because these are not English words... I wouldn't waste my breath on this, tho... We'll have the key in a few hours.
Darian Ennels

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 12:15 pm

This may seem like a lame thing to bring up, but in The Da Vinci Code, there is a scene in which they try to come up with a password, and using knowledge of the history of Latin and some other stuff, they derive the password "SOFIA" from the name "SOPHIE." I expect there are similar substitutionary phonetic effects at play here, which would explain how the name "Dovahkiin" would be shortened to the number of characters in the untranslated poem. So maybe the "ABCDEFG" corresponds to the name "DOVAKIN," which is a draconic substitute for the name "DOVAHKIIN."

Another possibility is that dots imply vowels, so rather than looking at each symbol as a series of dots and lines representing single characters/sounds, we should look at them as a series of lines (representing consonants) accented by dots to denote vowel placement.
Monika Krzyzak

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 9:36 am

This may seem like a lame thing to bring up, but in The Da Vinci Code, there is a scene in which they try to come up with a password, and using knowledge of the history of Latin and some other stuff, they derive the password "SOFIA" from the name "SOPHIE." I expect there are similar substitutionary phonetic effects at play here, which would explain how the name "Dovahkiin" would be shortened to the number of characters in the untranslated poem. So maybe the "ABCDEFG" corresponds to the name "DOVAKIN," which is a draconic substitute for the name "DOVAHKIIN."

Another possibility is that dots imply vowels, so rather than looking at each symbol as a series of dots and lines representing single characters/sounds, we should look at them as a series of lines (representing consonants) accented by dots to denote vowel placement.

This is the best thing I have heard..... if it works!
brian adkins

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 2:45 pm

The characters in the text look very similar to the script used by the aliens in the "Predator" series.

Heh, maybe predators are the "dragons".
Vahpie

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 10:29 am

Just because they're giving us the cipher today doesn't mean that the words will still be English- that may come in a later thing.

We will be translating the stanzas into English, today.

What does it say? The answer lies in translating the stanzas into English. Check back later today to solve the puzzle.
Sunnii Bebiieh

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim