GI Back Cover Poem. II

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 4:24 pm

This. Really a whole language for a game? Thats a bit much.

Not a whole language, but for Morrowind they came up with several dozen words to form the Dunmeri language. I used to have a Dunmeri-English dictionary a fan had made, and I used it to make my mods. It wasn't like thousands of words, but it wouldn't surprise me if there were a couple of hundred words there.

Tip: don't use facepalms as insults if you still want to be on this board when the game comes out. :stare:
~Amy~

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 11:16 am

I'm sticking with the DOVAKIN-replacement:
DOVAKIN DOVAKIN
Nxx OK xxN xOx VAxIN
xA DVN VOKxx xAxxxxxK Axx Vxx
AxK xxN NOxOK xxx xxxN
xOD Nxxx xON xxNDxO xxN
DOVAKIN xA xxN KOxxN xx Dxxx

And for the second verse it would be:
AxK xxN Kxx xOxx xxODA
Dx VxD VINx KO xxN KxA
xOx xOD xxxA xxN KxN xxx xxNDxN
xxDxxN xxN DO xxN
KxxxIK VOKxN xxxDNxx
VOxx xN xAxOK xA DIVON xxN xxN
(Disclaimer: mistakes may have been made).

The only other word completely translated next to DOVAKIN is 'DIVON'. Does it make sense? Is it something Lorish?
Edit: Oh, and 'DVN' in the first stanza. Which doesn't make sense to me :P
Nathan Hunter

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 3:29 pm

That was certainly helpful. At least I provided an alternative.

The song is not in English so either your words make sense on ?dragon language? or you, and I really don't want to be rude, fail.

Nice try, tho... :D
I love YOu

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 3:31 am

I'm sticking with the DOVAKIN-replacement:

And for the second verse it would be:
(Disclaimer: mistakes may have been made).

The only other word completely translated next to DOVAKIN is 'DIVON'. Does it make sense? Is it something Lorish?
Edit: Oh, and 'DVN' in the first stanza. Which doesn't make sense to me :P

Lol welcome to where I was earlier today! I said the same thing with the same type of translation! A mod or dev mentioned earlier it's not a letter to letter translation so I recommend saving yourself the trouble. For now all we know is there are patterns to the characters/words. I has a similar flow to the trailer song and Dovahkiin fits in the right places for the first paragraph. Beyond that we're pretty much screwed until we have the key or GI just gives us the answer.
Christine Pane

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 8:11 am

what if its not english that we should be trying to translate it to? do any of the other old languages from the lore match up at all? rather than translating it to english maybe it can only be translated into one of those lore languages from its current form and then into english? if that makes any sense
sara OMAR

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 3:57 am

Hmmm...you guys seem to have neglected that the figures may not follow the english alphabet and it's consonants and vowels. I think we should try thinking of other languages which might have been used.

Looking at the code itself, it does show some resemblance to ancient Sumerian and Assyrian cuneiform script, some of the earliest recorded forms of written language. If you don't understand what I'm talking about, here's a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuneiform.
Queen Bitch

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 6:59 am

Lol welcome to where I was earlier today! I said the same thing with the same type of translation! A mod or dev mentioned earlier it's not a letter to letter translation so I recommend saving yourself the trouble.
Didn't they mean it was not a letter to letter translation in English? So it might be a letter to letter script in Dragonish (or whatever it's called)?

But it doens't have to be a latin script, true, that.
For now all we know is there are patterns to the characters/words. I has a similar flow to the trailer song and Dovahkiin fits in the right places for the first paragraph. Beyond that we're pretty much screwed until we have the key or GI just gives us the answer.
Yeah, we need us a rosetta stone!
Jack Moves

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 8:27 am

Why's everyone posting what they think the singing sounds like in English? I'm pretty sure that they'd make the puzzle harder to solver than just by listening really hard to a song.
Jarrett Willis

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 7:46 am

That is speculation by going off what someone THOUGHT they heard them sing. It's very hard to understand other them, even "Dovahkiin". At least with this written version we can match the patterns more precisely.

I went to a lecture once - one half of the room was asked to close their eyes, and the other was asked to look at the presentation. I was in the closed eyes group.

Then we opened our eyes, and the lecturer played 'Another One Bites the Dust' backwards, and the other half burst into laughter, with my half being confused - and then the lecturer showed what the presentation showed to the open eyes group, and it was something along the lines of 'I like to smoke Marijuana' - song played again, and it was suddenly obvious.

The moral of this story is:

Songs are really, really easy to misinterpret.
Mashystar

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 12:49 pm

Well, tried replacing the complete words when reading from right to left, but didn't make any more sense. (NIKAVOD) All I got was NOKID, IV and DKN....Think I'll wait for the GI HUB update... or for you guys to find out :)

edit: also tried searching the UESP for some of the terms we've found till now, but no hits.
NIloufar Emporio

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 6:21 am

Another possibility is that some of the letters are substitutes themselves. For example, in the story of Oedipus, the English "Jocasta" is originally written in Greek as "Iokaste." C = K, J = I, and the ending a is derived from the ending e in the original Greek name. (I've never studied Greek so I don't know if that -e would be pronounced like a schwa, or if it would be silent, or something else completely...)

So tying this back into the text, an incomplete translation above has one three letter word as "DVN." Perhaps, when modified to English, it becomes a similar looking/sounding word, like "DOWN" or more likely, "DAWN."
Ymani Hood

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 12:52 pm

This. Really a whole language for a game? Thats a bit much.

Actually, a lot of people do it just for fun. I do, for example.

Nah. Been done before, and it is always a good thing imo. Makes the universe much more immersive.

LOtR did it, turned out great for Tolkien.

In fact, I am pretty certain in the movies the actually speak the languages properly. Which is beyond impressive.

Well, most of the Elves pronounced it correctly at least, and Saruman of course. Gandalf's pronunciation was generally awful.

They speak it correctly, but at times had to make up words, which kind of bugged me. Still impressive none the less, but not as good as me. Osp uin i amar thuio galenas a alae aglar.

Well, Sindarin wasn't as complete as Quenya but Quenya hadn't been spoken as a daily language in Middle-earth for thousands of years. The fans expected Sindarin dialogue, so the film makers improvised. They made a lot worse mistakes; we can forgive them that one. ;) The key thing that bugged me is that no one ever taught Ian McKellin how to pronounce his lines. :(
Lisa

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 3:12 pm

I don't see why everyone has such an epic problem with the song being sand in English, and why everyone is trying to match the letters up when we've been told it's not a letter for letter translation.
Horse gal smithe

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 4:28 am

I'm going to come here and make this even more complicated, has anyone considered if these letters were not actually letters or phonetics, but whole complete words on their own? I highly advise reading the decipherment chapter of http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuneiform#Decipherment.

Decipherment could be letters, phonetics, historically-linked, and many others. I say we leave this until the code comes out.
Blaine

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 1:30 pm

From the other topic:

Something I noticed. If you look at http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/1039/halpm.jpg link and look between the letters/symbols there might seem to be a shape or something. And I mean look at the spaces between all the letters totally. Might be nothing but I'm going to try to connect the dots so to speak.
If you squint you see some shapes, almost like the Oblivion-sign.
Probably far off, but I liked the way he was thinking out-of-the-box :P
Josh Lozier

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 4:48 pm

Here's a summary of what I think:

http://i54.tinypic.com/2yxncbm.png

It's from the trailer song, but it has the second part too. ABCDEFG is Dovahkiin. You can't replace one letter with another letter, some can be more than one (the hard part I guess).
FG sounds like "in" in Dovahkiin. G sounds like "n" (check http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0fQWkk9Z6s and see if you agree). HI in lines 3 and 6 sound like "ah".

I think some of the versions of the character replacement are wrong and mine is correct (sounds arrogant, but that's not how I mean to say it). The song probably isn't in English (how many languages sound like another if you swap letters?) and when you replace everything with what it sounds like you can probably read it as if it were that Dragon language.

I think I have a fever so I'm gonna stop now, I think I am just rambling on. Good luck to you all.
luke trodden

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 1:48 pm

maybe this will help with the song. I slowed it down in audacity and also tried editing out vocals. the 3 versions are only different in how much music they still have and it is personal preference how much you want to hear. If you need even slower versions or something else let me know.

http://www.4shared.com/audio/Yy6792BO/Skyrim_20_slow_high_low_pass.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/9vFomCa8/Skyrim_20_slow_high_pass.html
http://www.4shared.com/audio/iu8WChjW/Skyrim_20_slow.html
Ells

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 12:20 pm

Perhaps we need to pull some cultural elements into this. Dragonish = Akaviri = Oriental, right? Tsu Double consonant rule. Th concept seems to have some weak points, however, and I don't think it will hold up to much scrutiny. It would heavily rely on whatever cypher key they'll be giving out (but be awesome for the people who are obsessed with the east) and will make trying to determine what rules they are using bloody annoying.

Conversely, some of these letters look like modifications of others, which may suggest that the alphabet structure doesn't have vowels, and instead modifies letters to represent them (thus supporting the DVN = DAWN concept). This, too, has flaws, mainly with consistency in placement, and I'm afraid it'd take some serious trial and error to determine which letter were modifications of others, or just the artists using similar shapes.
Miss Hayley

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 11:52 am

Anyone tried working backwards?
Project

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 8:14 pm

Perhaps we need to pull some cultural elements into this. Dragonish = Akaviri = Oriental, right? Tsu Double consonant rule. Th concept seems to have some weak points, however, and I don't think it will hold up to much scrutiny. It would heavily rely on whatever cypher key they'll be giving out (but be awesome for the people who are obsessed with the east) and will make trying to determine what rules they are using bloody annoying.

Conversely, some of these letters look like modifications of others, which may suggest that the alphabet structure doesn't have vowels, and instead modifies letters to represent them (thus supporting the DVN = DAWN concept). This, too, has flaws, mainly with consistency in placement, and I'm afraid it'd take some serious trial and error to determine which letter were modifications of others, or just the artists using similar shapes.

when is GI releasing hints?
X(S.a.R.a.H)X

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 8:15 pm

when is GI releasing hints?

I believe they said "later today" when the hub was first released.
Elisha KIng

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 7:39 pm

Nope, sorry I can tell you that's not it either....I think will all just have to wait for the cipher to see how it relates for the song. I have a very good ear.

sorry, buddy... but your claim to have a "very good ear" is falling upon deaf ears if you cant PROVE you have a good ear... you cant just say others are wrong without your own version of the lyrics... and if you did give your version of it, im sure it sounds no different than everyone else's versions!

stop acting like you're superior, because unless you come out with a version of the lyrics, and end up being 100% right, your ears are not nearly as good as you like to think.
Nick Pryce

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 6:00 pm

I believe they said "later today" when the hub was first released.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2011/01/06/translating-the-cover.aspx

Right now in fact.
Suzie Dalziel

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 6:24 am

They say that it's not a letter to letter translation

In the latin alphabet there are 26 letters, here we have 27 symbols.

Imo, they used the phonetic alphabet.
In this alphabet skyrim is a 7 letters words (skairim) and the two “i” have two different symbols.
The word “Fate” have only 3 letter....
Try to use it ;)

PS sorry for my english :tongue:
Tina Tupou

Post » Fri May 21, 2010 5:42 pm

More stuff!
Gonna have a good look now
Andrea P

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim