Bethesda admit to knowing the game was broken before release

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 8:36 pm

Even so, they could still continue to the "nothing is happening" way of life.
True, they could. Though, I appreciate knowing. Maybe they caught that we were upset with that methodology? I far prefer them saying what I already know to be true than flat out lying to me.

It was a silly exaggeration, but I hope you got the point of the rest of what I said. It would hurt my image immensely, and future customers would be skeptical about hiring me. What would be my excuse? "I create beautiful, unique, deep websites, but they sometimes don't work for a small percentage of your audience". Nope, not in a million years.
Yes, an exaggeration but a hilarious statement when taken literally. I mean, just imagine it. You are correct though, this does a lot to hurt their reputation, how they now respond to the affected ps3 customers will be what we remember. If they do nothing, then we will remember. If they make things right, then we will have that degree of confidence in them for future purposes.

PS3 firmware updates come on the disc with games released after the firmware's online release.
I guess the number of people who have a ps3 and don't have the internet are a statistically insignificant number of customers. I mean, seriously, who doesn't have the internet anymore? People are more likely to forego water than the internet now. But yes, those customers should recieve priority, regardless of what Bethesda knew before hand.
barbara belmonte

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 9:06 pm

The industry is rapidly screaming toward a point where an internet connection is going to be required for virutally every game that's released, whether the game itself is played online or not.
Taylah Illies

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 8:22 pm

Isn't there a way to use the pen drive to update things?
That's really simple, btw.
I know I can update the ps3 firmware via pen drive.
Philip Lyon

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 6:12 pm

EDIT: To http://www.gamesas.com/user/651842-thefalkon/: No, not all manufacturers should be held to the same standard as automobile manufacturers. It's a different beast altogether when your product means the life or death of your customers. This is just a game. The response should be a refund or some other compromise. I'd settle for a free pc version.

I understand your point and I agree with you 100%. My main point is that Bethesda should be held accountable for this (as would any manufacturer), and this thread is serving that purpose.
jeremey wisor

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 10:09 pm

I guess the number of people who have a ps3 and don't have the internet are a statistically insignificant number of customers. I mean, seriously, who doesn't have the internet anymore?

The last estimate was ~40% of all consoles sold are not connected to the internet. (I should denote that that's worldwide; the US estimate is ~25% not connected)

Isn't there a way to use the pen drive to update things?

No. Only dev/debug units have access to *.PKG files in that manner as it's an attack vector for hacking. (the CFW hack was actually a *.PUP though)
Chris Jones

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 1:31 am

Guys every software developer always thinks they have it under control, but are aware things could go wrong. The difference here is obviously the scale. You have a huge game, with a huge world, and huge sales. So everything is magnified, including the absurd lag.

You never hear anyone talking about that PS2 RPG released a couple of years ago that had a bug which made it impossible to beat the last boss, and was never patched. Why? SALES NUMBERS.

Skyrim sold big, so now there is actually news about how customers were given shaky code.

But this is nothing new, Beth is admitting what everyone already knew. They felt good about the game, and did a lot of testing. Everyone who has ever played a Bethesda engine game on the PS3 knew what was going to happen.

We just didn't realize the lag would get *that bad*.

DCUO had a very similar sounding Memory problem. Like Bethesda mentioned how what you have hotkeyed, can affect memory issues. DCUO had a memory bug that had one trigger rooted in the quick menu functions. There was one point that going into the social menu of that game would instantly cause a RAM crash.

Same old story here folks. Big games, on small RAM = problems.
Mr. Allen

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Kotaku scored an interview with Todd Howard and asked the question. He couldn't exactly respond with silence like Bethesda can with message board users.

He could have said something like "I'm not at liberty to discuss this" or "Look! It's Batman! (and run the other way)"

as I said, I'm not complaining, just curious. And I'm not talking only about the interview, but here at this topic we already have more Gstaff than in the last 2 weeks.
TOYA toys

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 2:18 am

We just didn't realize the lag would get *that bad*.

There it is, right there.
zoe

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 8:03 pm

I understand your point and I agree with you 100%. My main point is that Bethesda should be held accountable for this (as would any manufacturer), and this thread is serving that purpose.
Yep, total agreement.
The last estimate was ~40% of all consoles sold are not connected to the internet.
Any citation to back that up? 77 million users had their information compromised by that hacker attack, implying that that many users had access to the internet via their ps3. Seeing as only 62 million units have sold as of December of last year, I'd say that 77 million users probably covers more than 40% of the customer base even when accounting for ps3's having multiple users on the machine.
Julie Serebrekoff

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 1:57 am

Yep, total agreement.
Any citation to back that up? 77 million users had their information compromised by that hacker attack, implying that that many users had access to the internet via their ps3. Seeing as only 62 million units have sold as of December of last year, I'd say that 77 million users probably covers more than 40% of the customer base even when accounting for ps3's having multiple users on the machine.
Excuse my invasion, but I think Sony never said "unique users". I, for one, have 2 different accounts on my PS3, and many more people do the same. What if 1/3 of those 77 million people have double accounts? 25.666667 million accounts are crossed out as doubles, narrowing the unique users to ~51.300.000+.

Of course, I'm just adding to the conversation. If the source of the original statement is posted, my statement is automatically disregarded.
Shianne Donato

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 6:54 pm

The ~40% number is all consoles worldwide bub. (Wii, 360, and PS3...I have no clue who conducted the study as it was years ago...I have a thing with numbers though so that's why I recall the average percentage...PS3 users in the US are actually the most connected of the three consoles at something like ~78% being online)

GStaff is posting in the http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463267&page=7 if anyone wants to watch some more damage control in action.
Chrissie Pillinger

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 3:00 am

Excuse my invasion, but I think Sony never said "unique users". I, for one, have 2 different accounts on my PS3, and many more people do the same. What if 1/3 of those 77 million people have double accounts? 25.666667 million accounts are crossed out as doubles, narrowing the unique users to ~51.300.000+.

Of course, I'm just adding to the conversation. If the source of the original statement is posted, my statement is automatically disregarded.
What if 1/3rd did? Who's to say. They presented an actual number (40%) and it is every bit within my right to request citation.

Please note that I actually stated the fact that some ps3 have multiple accounts in the post you quoted.

"even when accounting for ps3's having multiple users on the machine."

Even guessing that a third of all accounts are duplicates, you still don't arrive at 40%, you arrived at 51million and if your numbers are correct, that's still 82% of all ps3s having had internet.
Scott Clemmons

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 11:37 pm

The ~40% number is all consoles worldwide bub. (Wii, 360, and PS3...I have no clue who conducted the study as it was years ago...I have a thing with numbers though so that's why I recall the average percentage...PS3 users in the US are actually the most connected of the three consoles at something like ~78% being online)
Well, we are talking about the ps3 here, so that's the number we need to work with.

Still, 22% of 62 million is around 14 million. Not a number to shrug off but still not the main customer base.
Lady Shocka

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 9:40 pm

Yeah if it's meant to be 40% of all consoles that's more believable - I think people with Wii systems are less likely to be online than those with PS3/360. Not to mention they were much more picky about connecting to wireless internet at first too. I had one for like 2 years before I had the right wifi setup for it to be happy with. Not that I was trying that whole time, but at first I had a PS3 that was connected just fine but the Wii wouldn't.
Sarah Edmunds

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 3:19 pm

Well, we are talking about the ps3 here, so that's the number we need to work with.

Still, 22% of 62 million is around 14 million. Not a number to shrug off but still not the main customer base.

Plus it's far more common for people who don't have internet to get it than vice versa.
naana

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 1:01 pm

Well I know that I have an account for each of the major regions (NA, EU, and JP) and then I think two other US ones and one for my wife. So six total. A lot of PS3 users who do utilize PSN/SEN and the store and so on keep an account for each region in order to circumvent dumb region release stuff.

But yes; worldwide on all consoles is a very different number than the US percentages.
Trevor Bostwick

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 8:20 pm

A beautiful post from that NeoGAF thread, truly worth reading, from user "snap0212". It really fits the topic, the situation, everything, and it describes the situation perfectly.

There are so many things wrong with this whole Skyrim-on-PS3 -thing, it's not even funny (or excusable) anymore.

First of all, Bethesda knew how the PS3 console handles things, they knew they had to do things differently in order to get it running (well) on that console. It's not as easy to program for the PS3 as it is for the PC or the Xbox 360, we know that already and developers have known about that since they first started developing for the platform. When Howard says that it “depends on how they play the game”, then maybe they should have spent even more time testing the different versions of the game. Skyrim is a game that is advertised as being an adventure where you decide how you want to play it. If doing exactly that causes problems then why even bother?

I can understand that it's hard as hell to test all the possible scenarios, maybe even impossible, but saying that is just not acceptable. They don't give me the game, let me play it the way I want and then as for the money. They want the money upfront, promised a game where I can play just as I want and then say it's not broken, I'm just playing it differently so I encounter problems.

The should have not bothered with a release at all if they cannot release a completely working product. We shouldn't be asked to pay (full price) for a game that may break completely depending on how we play it – not if 'play as you want' is a significant part of the game's gameplay. We shouldn't be asked to pay for an experience that will break because you play the game as intended by the developer.

Prior to release, the company made sure we all think everything will be fine this time around. They made sure to talk about how the PS3 version is running just fine, just as fine as the Xbox 360 version, they made sure we think that they're using a new engine that works better on the PS3. They basically simply lied to us the whole time.

Sony didn't care either. They knew the game was broken, there's absolutely no way they didn't know about that. Some guy on here said that QA and Certification doesn't really step in just because a game isn't running well, but that they'll step in if things like Trophies don't work properly. Aside from the game being unplayable (frame rate, freezing, etc), Trophies didn't work either – at least one Trophy did not work in Non-English versions. So Sony must have known at least about parts of the problems, and they didn't do anything about it. Skyrim simply was too big to fail and Sony didn't want to miss out because the game was shipping broken on their platform.

Meanwhile, smaller developers and publishers get bullied into re-submitting and tweaking their smaller PSN games because SCEE encountered small bugs. Trine 2 is still not released in Europe because they've encountered problems. Problems that SCEA QA & Certification didn't encounter, problems that no one talks about because no one experienced them. Everyone says the game feels and plays just fine, people get the Platinum Trophy without any problems and yet SCEE QA & Cert says there's something wrong with it. That makes me think that it really only depends on the size of your company and your game. When a working product gets held back because it doesn't work as SCEE wants it to work while Skyrim on the PS3 gets the okay even though it's objectively broken then there's something really shady going on behind the scenes. They knew Skyrim would sell millions and they knew bullying Bethesda would mean real financial loss so they didn't bother.

The gaming press acted just as expected, to be honest. Instead of speaking up for their readers, most sites just ignored the problem. It runs fine on the Xbox 360 and the PC, and since these are the versions most reviewers play there's nothing to worry about. Something Bethesda knew as well. Just give them a working version, let them review that version and everything will be fine – everything was fine until fans and people who have actually paid money for the product spoke their mind.

I think it's ridiculous that they even get credit for fixing the game now. It's just not acceptable that people have to download Patches in order to play a singleplayer game, in order to get a working version of that game. Not every console is connected to the internet and solving a problems for a fraction of your customers is not worth anything if everyone else is stuck with a broken version of that game.

However, you also have to admit that they're pretty smart over at Bethesda. Seeing as there are absolutely no consequences for releasing a broken game, I can't fault them for doing so. They already have your money and that's all they want. They're not artists who want the world to see what they've created, they're about making money and nothing else, and they've succeeded.

Things like that could be prevented in the future. How about the ability to simply get a full refund (+ expenses like gas) if a game is objectively broken? Let's see how broken games would be then.

Can't release a working game? Don't freaking release it. PS3 players would be mad, sure, but now Bethesda is not know as a company that angers PS3 players for not releasing a game on their platform, they're known to be a development studio that doesn't have a problem with charging people full price for a product that doesn't even work. In my book, Bethesda can spin this situation however they want: It's clear that they knew the game was broken and they still released it, and that's shameful for any developer out there.
Sweet Blighty

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 2:05 am

without a video proof of him actually saying that or something written of official bethesda website it can be just false. like if i write somewhere: Todd Howard on a recent interview said "Screw you PS3 users"

Thing is, he didn't have to say 'Screw you PS3 users'

He just DID it...

...again.
Brιonα Renae

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 4:20 pm

A beautiful post from that NeoGAF thread, truly worth reading, from user "snap0212". It really fits the topic, the situation, everything, and it describes the situation perfectly.
Can you link to this? that is such a good quote.

Hey Gstaff, why don't you sticky http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1348801-bethesda-admit-to-knowing-the-game-was-broken-before-release/page__view__findpost__p__20331900 and make every single one of your developers and marketing team read it.
Vivien

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 3:45 pm

So many people here don't have a clue as to how economics work. Bethesda could NOT of delayed the game for ps3 users. As much as some of you here would hate to admit it, not everyone has had problems, and it would have been an even greater backlash to bethesda if they had delayed the release of the ps3 version.

I urge you all to read the entire article here, as well as the update: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218881p1.html

It sheds some light on why bethesda didn't delay the game, and assumed that most users would be fine and it would be fixed before anybody even noticed.

And just an fyi, a lot of esteemed developers do this. In the unfortunate case for bethesda, what they thought would be the fix (1.2) wouldn't work until (1.4).
Jesus Lopez

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 4:07 pm

Can you link to this? that is such a good quote.

Hey Gstaff, why don't you sticky http://www.gamesas.com/topic/1348801-bethesda-admit-to-knowing-the-game-was-broken-before-release/page__view__findpost__p__20331900 and make every single one of your developers and marketing team read it.
Here you go: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=463267&page=7

It's somewhere in the middle of the page, I think the first huge post, and Snap has an owl as his avatar.
Emily Rose

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 1:26 pm

This is directly to the post. http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=35188644&postcount=309

+
tyvm
james tait

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 4:47 pm

It's completely unfair to level at people that because of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas on PS3 they should have known better when it came to Skyrim when Bethesda was going around claiming that Skyrim would be using an http://twitter.com/#%21/nickbreckon/status/14015054991069184.

That blatant lie gave a lot of PS3 users hope that it would finally not be the same issues over and over again and, as a person who owns all of the platforms in question, it was what swayed my decision to give the PS3 version a shot. Not to mention that initial reports were that the 360 version was having texture streaming issues and in the lead-up to release the PS3 version was seemingly the console version to get.
Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 6:35 pm

There are problems in the industry and there are problems with consumers. As someone who works in the industry I can definitely say that it's very tempting to ignore bugs that come up at times and just go "well we can patch it later so let's just leave it for now and work on other stuff" and I can also attest to the rather huge amounts of backlash that come after us when we delay a release to work on bugs more.

It's an odd situation to say the least. And it would take efforts on both sides of this thing to reach a proper resolution. Final release dates shouldn't be announced or marketed until the game is actually done and gold, and consumers could stand to be a bit more understanding and patient when games take longer than expected to be finished.
David Chambers

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 1:03 am

Well I know that I have an account for each of the major regions (NA, EU, and JP) and then I think two other US ones and one for my wife. So six total. A lot of PS3 users who do utilize PSN/SEN and the store and so on keep an account for each region in order to circumvent dumb region release stuff.
Wait, that actually works? Sounds like I'm going to create a couple accounts tonight.
So many people here don't have a clue as to how economics work. Bethesda could NOT of delayed the game for ps3 users. As much as some of you here would hate to admit it, not everyone has had problems, and it would have been an even greater backlash to bethesda if they had delayed the release of the ps3 version.

I urge you all to read the entire article here, as well as the update: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/121/1218881p1.html

It sheds some light on why bethesda didn't delay the game, and assumed that most users would be fine and it would be fixed before anybody even noticed.

And just an fyi, a lot of esteemed developers do this. In the unfortunate case for bethesda, what they thought would be the fix (1.2) wouldn't work until (1.4).
No, this is pretty much the biggest backlash possible. Had they known the error was as big as it is, there's no way they would have released it. Right now, it's a powder keg that could hurt them in any number of ways (most of which wouldn't really benefit us any).

With the information they had at the time, though, they made the right "business" decision. Still, the honest thing to do would be to acknowledge the problem. Still, and I can't stress this enough, this has all just taught me to never buy bethesda on the console, pc all the way from now on with them.
Liii BLATES

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim