Bethesda admit to knowing the game was broken before release

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 8:12 pm

Delete the game saves, the patch, the game data, rebuild the database, let Skyrim install itself along with the 1.4 patch and the framerate will still be pathetic in the very opening sequence of the game.

While I agree that many don't play for hours on end there's no mistaking that on 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 the game runs like crap from the get-go. Just riding along in the cart it sputters and hitches and stuff pops-in all over the place.

I didn't get a single frame rate drop in the whole opening sequence.
Maya Maya

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 12:35 pm

Delete the game saves, the patch, the game data, rebuild the database, let Skyrim install itself along with the 1.4 patch and the framerate will still be pathetic in the very opening sequence of the game.

While I agree that many don't play for hours on end there's no mistaking that on 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, and 1.4 the game runs like crap from the get-go. Just riding along in the cart it sputters and hitches and stuff pops-in all over the place.

Yep people seem perfectly happy with some parts of skyrim being a constant 20-25FPS rate. Rather than 30FPS.
Yeah obviously I know that, I just don't want his "don't bother doing anything because I don't care anymore" attitude to get taken to be representative of how everyone feels or there'd be no incentive for Bethesda to bother fixing anything ever again.

Yep I understand what you mean I just thought that I'd make sure :)
keri seymour

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 2:01 pm

Bethesda, I hate you, with a passion. I shall never buy your piece of [censored] broken ass games again.

Do you really hate Bethesda? As in wanting to kill them?
Kate Murrell

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 3:07 am

This has nothing to do with hardware issues.

On topic. I asked about whether or not I should expect lag to return to my game awhile ago above and received no answer. However...After playing for awhile today I can confirm MYSELF. That YES the lag returns. This was no fix. 1.4 is a fail.
Frank Firefly

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 1:06 am

He said "some of the things". There are loads of things that cause these problems, magic and hot keys are just a couple of them.
Yup, all I was saying was I started a game as a purist, above, carefully stored weapons, did quests in as much order as possible and still freeze and lag. It didn't make much of a difference what way you played, you still had issues.
It's literally the things you've done in what order and what's running
Cos you wouldn't want random acts in an open world game.
I hate Justin Bleater, but I don't wanna pop a cap in it!!!
Sophie Morrell

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 12:39 pm

This has nothing to do with hardware issues.

On topic. I asked about whether or not I should expect lag to return to my game awhile ago above and received no answer. However...After playing for awhile today I can confirm MYSELF. That YES the lag returns. This was no fix. 1.4 is a fail.

It was on topic because it's a ranting thread about how evil Bethesda is. Your question is actually pretty off topic to the OP :)
Sarah MacLeod

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 5:20 pm

Proclaiming 1.4 nectar from the gods was very premature and shortsighted. People should know better than to expect the issue to re-rear its ugly head after only a few hours of play when Bethesda is specifically optimizing for it.

We're only one week out from 1.4's release and another bad memory situation is imminent. It's still a ticking time-bomb but now that it's been optimized for it's going to take longer before people start experiencing it en masse.
sophie

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 8:39 pm

We're monitoring the issues being reported and working on new fixes for all platforms. As there's more info to share, we'll let you know.
Jon O

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 6:42 pm

If 1.4 patch failed to fix the lag, I think it's easy to assume at this point that it will not be fixed. Bethesda had well over a month to fix this problem, and it should have been the primary issue to be fixed while they were working on this patch.
Eileen Müller

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 1:19 pm

.watch this....http://www.gamespot.com/the-elder-scrolls-v-skyrim/videos/skyrim-todd-howard-dice-2012-keynote-address-6350048/

this is just insane 100 QA testers and the game is broken....
ONLY ME!!!!

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 3:01 pm

So after reading the forums and watching my fiend play (on a brand new PS3) I'm so glad I never bought Skyrim.

Same old Bethesda. They will never admit they messed up, they will continue to claim the people having problems are a small minority of PS3 users. DLC will break it all over again even if there is a temporary fix, just read the Fallout 3 tech support forum.

When they start to hype their next game remember that Todd and Pete lie about pretty much everything.

Back to the Battlefield for me. Good luck.
Shirley BEltran

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 8:06 pm

Its just as broken on xbox. the framerate of a virgin save xbox vs ps3 xbox is mucg much smoother. Im 50 hours in now and let me tell you that although the not lag framerate of xbox is far far better on the lag kicks in its just like ps3. Im 50 hours in and around 30 i noticed minor stutters and now my 50hours level 40 character is getting the "PS3 lag". Im talking 50 hours xbox game 5fps. Ive also experianced the falling through the ground glitch. Go check the xbox forum I made a very detailed post about it. I swear to got the lag is just like ps3. The first 30 hours is about a constant 30fps and then once the game file gets bigger its exactly like ps3 lag. I cant beleive I traded it in for the xbox version and the xbox version is jsut as broken. Im playing 1.4 on xbox and ive seen lag just as bad as my 1.1 ps3 game. This might be it I might justd trade it in for something else and never play a bethesda game agin.
Mashystar

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 1:06 am

They knew that there was a problem but decided to take our money anyway. Pack of thieves.
Cheryl Rice

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 9:53 pm

They knew that there was a problem but decided to take our money anyway. Pack of thieves.

Just tack it onto the rather long list of game developers, other corporations, and government agencies that do the same thing day in and day out.
Thema

Post » Wed May 23, 2012 12:56 am

Just tack it onto the rather long list of game developers, other corporations, and government agencies that do the same thing day in and day out.

Don't worry I will.
Kelsey Anna Farley

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 1:52 pm

Out of curiosity, and so I can anticipate problems I may run into down the road, what exactly is all this talk about Skyrim being "broken" post-1.4? Aside from extremely minor and infrequent frame rate dips, I'm not running into any issues at all. I'm playing like mad, often for hours on end, and I haven't had a single freeze or anything else in all this time. The only issue I ran into at all, in fact, was while starting a new character, there was an abnormally long pause during an opening sequence in which I thought the game had frozen (it hadn't).

So what's going on? Are people just having a cathartic meltdown in here, or is the game going to go [censored] up on me at some point? What's up?
Charles Weber

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 11:52 pm

Out of curiosity, and so I can anticipate problems I may run into down the road, what exactly is all this talk about Skyrim being "broken" post-1.4? Aside from extremely minor and infrequent frame rate dips, I'm not running into any issues at all. I'm playing like mad, often for hours on end, and I haven't had a single freeze or anything else in all this time. The only issue I ran into at all, in fact, was while starting a new character, there was an abnormally long pause during an opening sequence in which I thought the game had frozen (it hadn't).

So what's going on? Are people just having a cathartic meltdown in here, or is the game going to go [censored] up on me at some point? What's up?

Some people are still encountering lockups and framerate issues, though these people seem to be in the minority now rather than the majority.
renee Duhamel

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 10:40 pm

Congratulations Bethesda! you just got the "Master Criminal" trophy!
Shaylee Shaw

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 3:49 pm

When a game is released on a console, I think it's VERY MISLEADING to label an inherent problem with your game engine as some fluke or "minority" thing that only a few run into, when in fact, its the game engine, and every single disc that was shipped out. Bethesda was banking on people not playing long enough to run into the problems, and deliberately kept the PS3 version out of the hand of major review sites. That is a deliberate an attempt as it gets, to mislead consumers into buying a slightly faulty and not-quite-finished product.

Not everyone ran into the lag issue after the game was released, but not everyone played their game for more than a few hours, the problem was still there with every single version of Skyrim on the PS3.

Its also unfortunate that these game "journalists", don't do their job and hold big name developers feet to the fire. Big game releases often result in more of an advertisemant for the game rather than a real game review.

so you can't really blame just Bethesda, when every game review site let them get away with it (and the Meta Critic score reflects fake "professional" reviews, standing in stark contrast to user reviews and REAL experiences with the game)

If actual reviews poured out for the PS3 version, siting the PS3's very horrible frame-rate, quest ending bugs, freezing, and eventual stuttering lag, Bethesda would have felt it in their pocket. The only place that matters. (They all apparently lied though, reviewing Xbox only and pasting their mutli-platform tags next to said review, wholly misleading consumers)

And to top it off all the major reviews glazed over the bugs as "minor" when in fact, it was an incredibly broken game on release. And 3 months later, the Xbox 360 section is starting to look a lot like the PS3 subforum. The stuttering lag is starting to really hit 360 owners.

But Todd Howard assures us its still only a minority of PS3 owners....
Alexander Lee

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 3:42 pm

Bethesda lied all the way up to the release day, new engine??, tons of testing?? most stable release?? they knew the game was in bad shape and didn't care for its costumers or the repercussions a game that broken could have on their ps3's. They only cared about money. Many have experience lag or corrupted save files but others, such as myself, have had their whole hdd corrupted thanks to their lock ups and freeze ups, and they knew this could happen. But hey, they still got their money and their goty's awards so everything is fine.
As far as I am concerned, i will never buy a game from them again because I simply don't trust them and that's something hard to regain. Unless bethesda grow a pair and accept the consequences of their actions many will do the same. Their reputation has taken a big hit and its not gonna be easy to recover. Here's what i think they should do.

1. Public apology from Todd Howard. Come on Todd, step aside from all the awards ceremonies from a moment, a simple youtube video would do the trick.
2. Fix the damn game, not just "adress the issues" but "fix the issues".
3. Show the ps3 community you care by giving some kind of compensation for the troubles caused by your game
4. Be more open with the community, if you can't fix it, let us know so we dont go and spend another 50 hours just to get the damn save file corrupted or the game turning unplayable.
5. 10 pages of "I will not lie again" followed by "I will only release a working game"

This could be a good start, but i dont think its gonna happen anytime soon. Until then i will continue to play games made from companies that care enough to not release a broken game.
Mrs. Patton

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 6:08 pm

If Todd Howard honestly believes that only a handful of PS3 players would experience issues then it explains everything. Even at the most basic level of programming experience it is patently apparent that if you have the exact same software running on the exact same hardware and you're having issues on one instance then the potential is there for the issue to be present in all instances. If the head of the studio somehow believed that magically only a small number of people would experience a massive design flaw then that shows how such a flaw was allowed to remain, the man at the top either doesn't understand how programming works or else simply didn't care about the quality of our experience, only the colour of our money.

So basically we now know that it was known that there was a strong chance that large proportion of the PS3 userbase would suffer gamebreaking issues and rather resolve those issues pre-release, Fallout 3 was three years ago and suffered the exact same issues, so they've have had that long at the very least, the decision was taken to release despite those issues and then hide the PS3 version (no screenshots, videos or preview/review copies) and lie to potential buyers with claims like "all new engine" and "tons of attention" so that they'd forget the abortion that was Fallout 3's port and buy Skyrim on the false belief that Bethesda had used the last three years making something that would work.

I wasn't part of the apology crowd before, I was happy enough that Bethesda had shown some professional growth and actually admitted to there being a problem and at least trying to fix it, a lot more than we got from Fallout 3, but I'm switching sides now. Todd Howard really needs to ditch the arrogant attitude and come to the stark realisation that he is a piss poor excuse for a producer for allowing something like this to happen. Three years. Three years he's known that his studio was working with an engine that simply doesn't work on a certain platform and he forged ahead anyway and then he himself lied about it, remember it was Todd Howard, not Pete Hines who claimed it was an all new engine. Todd Howard that explained that there were new QA processes in place so that issues like this would be found and resolved before release rather than after. And Todd Howard that boasted a new "patching on the fly" system that meant if things got through the net they wouldn't need to wait for certification and could launch a fix in days rather than months. All lies.

So we have a little honesty from Todd now and GStaff, Brecon and Hines are all on damage control as the "optimisation" runs its course and the original issue starts to return and we're being told that work is still ongoing and there will be more fixes on the way. To GStaff I ask one simple question, after "new engine" "new QA processes" "new patching system" "tons of attention" "parity on graphics, framerate and fidelity" "patch 1.2 fixed the PS3 performance problems" "1.4 fixed the PS3 performance problems" and now the truth coming out that the game was knowingly shipped broken for our platform, why exactly should we suddenly trust in Bethesda and be confident in yet another patch? You can't patch bad design, 1.2 and 1.4 proved that, hey Skyrim alone proves that seeing as it's still that same busted engine, by all means make the optimisations to improve things to make it playable, but don't continue to lie about the situation and pretend that this game will ever be the game that we were told it would be on 11/11/11
Louise Dennis

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 1:52 pm

I am going back to my Advanced Dungeons and Dragons core rulebooks and my d20 collection. Pen and paper RPGs never fail, glitch, freeze or have broken quests, unless you totally svck at math and storytelling that is. I have been spoiled for too long, time to stop being constantly disappointed and go back to where RPG was fun, and less complicated and where I could explore an RPG world ANY way I chose to!
Marina Leigh

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 1:19 pm

Are we playing the same game?

I am at 200h with two characters, done 20h marathon session. So far 5 restarts of my PS3. 2 because framerate went down, and 3 because it simply froze. Thats one issue every 40 hours. 40 hours is double what I play most games.

It do annoys me that I can't complete some quests, or even "cancel" them, though.
how solid

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 5:35 pm

To be fair, the average "gamer" doesnt play a game for 150+ hours in the first month of its release. Im sure they assumed they had much more time then they did to write some better code and fix memory leaks. it just happened that the small minority (us) have a loud mouth and are forcing them to fix it prematurely.

Completely disagree,Bethesda know of their TES fanbase,and how much time and effort for modding etc their fans put into their elder scrolls games,sure they have been going more casual over the last few games but longtime hardcoe TES fans are still around and Bethesda would be completely moronic if any of them over there thought they'd have more time to fix problems before being noticeable.
Yvonne

Post » Tue May 22, 2012 7:04 pm

We're monitoring the issues being reported and working on new fixes for all platforms. As there's more info to share, we'll let you know.

Just admit you deliberately screwed over a large portion of your fanbase. Denying it or claiming it's only a minority of players is not going to make the problem go away, nor does it change the fact that you guys [censored] up.
Steve Fallon

PreviousNext

Return to V - Skyrim