Class-centric, please!

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 12:05 pm

@Gurkog
hmm your Opinion is interesting, but I fail to see how not restricting players with a set and unchangeable list of predefined "skill paths" that result in a set number of opportunities provides any more depth or realism/"immersion" to a game. In my Opinion they do the exact opposite by not only limiting and annoying the player but by placing very effective proverbial blinds on whoever is playing the game. I have always seen them more as a way to not have to worry about game depth or possibilities by simply lazily limiting everything anyone can ever do into a set number of contingencies. This is coming from someone who played vanilla WoW from it's release. (I have yet to pick it up since the easy, blind, and insultingly pathetic expansion called wrath of the lich king) Anyway my opinion is the opposite of your obviously, you find depth in predesigned mechanics that allow a character to easily climb up his chosen route and allow you to really get into the feel of that "class" and focus on getting things right and done reguardless of the limitations placed on you as a consequence of how streamlined it is. While I find depth in open endedness that allows me to do what I want with a plethora of tools whenever I want and to have no real limitations on what I can do. So I can get a feel of the world and maybe successfully dabble in a little of everything. I don't claim that either is better, but they are a definitive dichotomy in the gaming world, but it appears you have made a minor mis-judgement as TES games just don't have what you are looking for. If I am incorrect in any of this feel free to comment and if I have offended you at all I assure you that was not my intent and I would be more than willing to retract and remove any and all points made.
CxvIII

Post » Wed Aug 26, 2009 9:59 am

I would love to have some kind of bonus for selecting a pre-made class. They often have disadvantages, and people reate a custom class to get it perfect. It would be nice to have strange buffs when you select a class (For exampe, a Thief may sneak eaasier, whereas a Mage may have an increased magicka regeneration). It would add a lot of diversity to the game, and may even convince people to choose a pre-made class.

This sounds like a very interesting idea, and one that I would not at all mind... except I am a min/maxer at heart. I need to have a perfect character (stat wise and gear wise) in all of the games I play obsessively. This includes having the class name Collector (my min/maxing class since Morrowind). These special buffs for having a premade class would mess everything up for me. Either I would pick a premade class and end up losing my Collector class and perfect starting stats for maximum health, or I forgo the buff for those things.

Oh and it ruins the spirit of things yadda yadda.
R.I.p MOmmy

Previous

Return to V - Skyrim