Could the Orcs have taken over Tamriel?

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:05 am

I know the Dragon Break happened, so Tiber Septim and Gortwog couldn't have both taken over Tamriel, but do you think the Orcs could have done it if they wanted? It seems they had the numbers, the willpower, and a monstrous robot. It seems like the only thing keeping them from conquering the continent was Gortwog, who only wanted recognition for Orsinium.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, it was in Daggerfall.
Spoiler
In one of the endings, possession of the Numidium passes to Gortwog, the Orismer king, who uses it to destroy the Bay Kings and create Orsinium, a kingdom of Orcs.

jadie kell

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:16 am

Conquest suggest control. So yes, they could subdue or destroy ever kingdom on the continent, but then there would just be a bunch of ashes, not an orcish empire.

Blackmail/Tribute systems would get them most of the Illiac in a trice, however.
IsAiah AkA figgy

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 5:05 am

Maybe with the Numidium, but otherwise, its like asking if the Spartans could take over Europe.

EDIT: I agree with what paw prints said, it takes more than tough green men and a giant robot to create an Empire.
Josephine Gowing

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:21 am

Maybe with the Numidium, but otherwise, its like asking if the Spartans could take over Europe.

Could the spartans have taken over europe if they had cruise missiles?
sophie

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:11 am

Could they even comprehend or control cruise missiles?
Dominic Vaughan

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Only with waxed chests and hotpants.
Hairul Hafis

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:35 am

Wouldn't the Underking have shown up and destroyed it though?
Melanie Steinberg

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:05 am

Wouldn't the Underking have shown up and destroyed it though?

Would the other 7 (or 6, i forget) Numidiums have shown up and destroyed it?

The Orcs taking over is basically a pure hypothetical that can't and didn't happen.
alicia hillier

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:25 am

If they were the only ones who had a Numidium? Maybe. Gortwog was too reasonable to try that, though.

If Gortwog was over-ambitious like everybody else. Nope. Gothryd, Akorithi and Eadwyre all tried to take over the whole region, and none of them succeeded.
Kieren Thomson

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:44 pm

Gorthwog had enough problems keeping the orcs together to forget any idea about empire. The problem wouldn't have been using the numidium to stomp the ennmies, but to manage what it would have conquered. Things have improved since, but at that time most of the orcs were savages, the best of them barbarians and the worst animals. Not exactly what you need to hold together an empire.
Lalla Vu

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:51 am

The jills wouldn't have allowed it anyway.
FirDaus LOVe farhana

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:16 pm

More importantly with only 1 numibiadaoram (so I cant spell). With 9 proviences you cant be everywhere at once and no...orcs didnt have the man power. They were scattered into tribes and disenfranchised from Civilized society. In Pre-Morrowind Times (Game, not counctry) if you saw an Orc You killed it, before it killed you.

And most importantly The numidem (whatever) was not invulnable. When Tiber Septim employed it he had legions to back it up, battlemages, etc. You walk into a televani town with only a numidem and a few orcs you best be ready to see it fly apart. Same with Summerset Isles. Gortwog knew his limitations and thats what makes him a great leader. He wanted a homeland for his people and he got it. He wanted a stake in the empire and he's working towards that. Just look how far Orcs have come in (40 years?) game time. Fully integrated into the Empire, landowners, buisnesses, etc.
Cccurly

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:26 pm

More importantly with only 1 numibiadaoram (so I cant spell). With 9 proviences you cant be everywhere at once and no...orcs didnt have the man power. They were scattered into tribes and disenfranchised from Civilized society. In Pre-Morrowind Times (Game, not counctry) if you saw an Orc You killed it, before it killed you.

And most importantly The numidem (whatever) was not invulnable. When Tiber Septim employed it he had legions to back it up, battlemages, etc. You walk into a televani town with only a numidem and a few orcs you best be ready to see it fly apart. Same with Summerset Isles. Gortwog knew his limitations and thats what makes him a great leader. He wanted a homeland for his people and he got it. He wanted a stake in the empire and he's working towards that. Just look how far Orcs have come in (40 years?) game time. Fully integrated into the Empire, landowners, buisnesses, etc.

You do know that the Numidium was a god, right? It COULD be in multiple places at once.
Tracey Duncan

Post » Sun Sep 20, 2009 11:30 pm

You do know that the Numidium was a god, right? It COULD be in multiple places at once.

Indeed. It's one of the 6 violent paths to Heaven, as well. Even now it's still laying siege to a city in the Summerset Isle in a previous reality...

On a side note, what exactly is the meaning of "Anumidum?" It can't me Walk-Brass can it, because I'm sure thats what Numidium means. I noticed the word "Anu" in there as well; I'm sure thats not coincidence.
Leilene Nessel

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:17 am

Indeed. It's one of the 6 violent paths to Heaven, as well.

They're just called the Walking Ways, since presumably they aren't all necessarily violent. Reaching heaven by violence describes the means of the Tribunal's ascent, though.

On a side note, what exactly is the meaning of "Anumidum?" It can't me Walk-Brass can it, because I'm sure thats what Numidium means. I noticed the word "Anu" in there as well; I'm sure thats not coincidence.

Numidium is a Cyrodisation of the Anumidum.
Charles Weber

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:17 am

Numidium is a Cyrodisation of the Anumidum.

Just as Cyrodization is an Americanization of Cyrodisation.

Wait, don't I have work to do?
CSar L

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:36 am

They're just called the Walking Ways, since presumably they aren't all necessarily violent. Reaching heaven by violence describes the means of the Tribunal's ascent, though.

V'vehk refers to them as "six are the paths to heaven by violence." That's why I think "violence" refers to "forceful means" rather than generic malevolent force.

Thanks to all for clearing up the "Anumidum" business for me though.
Enny Labinjo

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:45 am

The jills wouldn't have allowed it anyway.

if they let men forg e an empire, why not the spawn of Trinimac?
Madeleine Rose Walsh

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:31 am

Because it's Gortwog, and Gortwog has funny ideas about who the glorious knight of Akatosh actually is. It's like hiring your embarrassing, socially abnormal neighbor to run part of your business.
OnlyDumazzapplyhere

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:26 am

V'vehk refers to them as "six are the paths to heaven by violence."

Hrm. So he does. I missed that. Thanks.

That's why I think "violence" refers to "forceful means" rather than generic malevolent force.

I know. It appears to be just a fancy way of saying "apotheosis", which is typically tumultuous or generates some sort of upheaval, after all..
xxLindsAffec

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:35 pm

Think it revolves more around it not logically being able to fit into the world. I THINK that's what he was getting at.

I say this because I think the jills mended the "numidition" of Mannimarco's apotheosis because it would screw up the world and end mortality, something that logically can't happen in Existence.

I think that's what Nazz meant; the Underking reuniting with teh Mantella creates Talos, which in turn creates the Imperial race, which in TURN fortifies the Wheel. Some crazy BS would happen if the Orcs controlled the Empire...
TOYA toys

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:29 am

Well if its a god, then how did it get busted up the first time (actually I know this answer but I want to see what the general response is).
Soraya Davy

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:57 am

Well, it was an avatar of a god looking to reclaim its own soul from the construct of a god.
Trevor Bostwick

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 12:05 pm

Umm...if you know the answer, then you should expect the general response is...right???

The Underking, an EXTREMELY powerful avatar of Lorkhan, destroyed it; I'm sure the fact that it had his "Heart" has something to do with it as well. But maybe not.
Jessica White

Post » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:44 am

We dont know but it's a high probability that it is so.

He could have done it for many unkown reasons aswell. But as I see it it's the reason ("take back" his heart).
Laura-Lee Gerwing

Next

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion