Creating a Megaton House mod

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:32 pm

I've just started learning the GECK, mostly so I could mod my Megaton house. When I load up the cell, every object from every theme is in there. What's a quick way to delete objects by their themes? I just want to start working from the Pre-War theme.

Thanks!

Len swann

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:12 pm

Forgive my ignorance from never purchasing a theme. But I'm guessing there are 6 themes ? Seeing how there are 6 Xmarkers linked to items that start with the corresponding name.

Explorer

Love

PreWar

Raider

Science

Vault

So to get rid of every item linked to them ... simply look in your "Cell View" window , right side column which is ref-ID's for objects in the cell.

You can use the filter for each one of those words. But it will let some stuff come up that you don't want to delete on some lists , you should see the difference ... But to make sure an item is linked ... when you click on the name in the list ... you should see a line drawn to one of the Xmarkers if you have a birds eye view of the whole cell with those Xmarkers.

After selecting the top one of a theme in the list ... you can hold shift then down arrow to select them all ... so you can press delete one time.

Hope that helps ;)

Juan Cerda

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:20 pm

it did, thanks! It was a little tedious deleting each object like that, but I got it done eventually :)

Stay-C

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:51 pm

Also, if you just want to get an object out of the way without actually deleting it, you can click on the object then press 1 followed by 1 to hide it (press F5 to reload and un-hide).

zoe

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:47 am

I'm still working on my mod, but there are a couple of things I want to do besides adding stuff and moving stuff around:

- That Bobblehead stand is SO annoying. Takes up so much space! I want to turn that shelf next to the stairs into a working Bobblehead display, is there a way to do that?

- What kind of a bedroom doesn't have a door?? The entrance to the bedroom is sized all wrong for a standard door, and I can't see a way to fit one in there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Amiee Kent

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:08 pm

- The shack door (ShackExitDoorReg01) fits the bedroom doorway (it's the door used on the other upstairs room)

- I've only taken a quick glance at the bobblehead display, but it looks as though it's fairly simple. Basically you've got all the bobbleheads set up on the stand and initially disabled, and the stand's script checks the player's inventory for any bobbleheads, removing them from the player and enabling the corresponding bobbleheads on the stand. So, basically anything can be used as a stand. For example, you could make a copy of the bobblehead activator (BobbleheadDisplayMegaton) and change the model (currently Clutter\BobbleHead\BobbleHeadCase.NIF) to be a shelf. Replace the current bobblehead activator with your new one, and make sure you place the (disabled) bobbleheads where you want on your shelf. That should be all you need to do - the script will work in the same way, so when the player activates the shelf the bobbleheads will be removed and enabled.

Natalie Harvey

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:51 pm

Thanks about the bobbleheads, but I've decided to just move the whole damn thing. Turns out that shelf isn't such a great place to display them after all.

About the door, I think I've finally placed it right. But I want it to open to the left, and when it does, it clips into a girder on the adjacent wall. Is there a way to adjust the angle of the opened door?

Sista Sila

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:08 am

Its only a right hand door? , so it either opens into the room to your right side , or opens out into the hall on your left side (facing into the room)

And both ways do not have a wall behind when opened.

Plus this particular door looks to be only opening to 90 degrees from closed , therefore it couldn't be clipping into a wall if the hand was switched.

Do you mean the door header looks to be a bit low , so when its open you see that header sticking down through the top of the door?

Which the other door next to it does the same thing.

However you can adjust the size on the Reference window , 3D data tab. Changing the scale from 1.0 to .98 looks to be barely clearing it.

And to make sure it sits on the floor properly. Move it up slightly after resizing then drop to the floor with "F"

There will be a gap on top , but it shouldn't be noticeable in game , and maybe gaps on the sides , but I didn't notice any myself from in the geck.

carla

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:10 pm

I flipped it around so it opens to the left. If I could get it to open to just 87-88 degrees, that'd be perfect.

Invasion's

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:26 pm

It's certainly possible to change the NIF to alter the rotation amount, but it's not straightforward. Can't you just rotate the door slightly so that it misses the beam?

Catherine N

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:15 am

It's a big beam :nope: If I rotate it too far, it doesn't sit nicely within the doorframe. Altering NIFs sounds scary, I don't know if I want to try that. I'm thinking of just swapping the two upstairs rooms so that the one with the door becomes the bedroom.

Another question: I want to put a VDresserR01 in there, but weirdly, it's only available as a static object. I want to place an un-ruined container, then Edit Base and switch the model to VDresserR01.nif, but I have no idea where the file is.

Taylor Thompson

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 8:32 pm

Its opening into the room , or into the hall ? The upstairs room with the bed in it?

Both directions I see no beam intersecting the door. Except for the door header , which wouldn't matter how far the door opens.

I am perplexed ...

As far as changing the mesh on a container to the "VDresserR01"

What I do is unpack the BSA to my desk top with this tool ... http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout3/mods/34/?

Then navigate through that finding it ... which is going to be "Meshes>meshes>dungeons>vaultruined>clutter"

Copy it , then paste it in a folder within your Data folder for Fallout3 ... Then in the geck you should be able to find it when browseing to change the model. But remember that doesn't have an open animation.

Lexy Dick

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:35 pm

I flipped the door on the X-axis.

I'll try unpacking the BSA, thanks.

Jessica Thomson

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:40 am

Oh duh ... you flipped it upside down. Good thinking :wink_smile:

And I see its the wall your talking about.

So if you really want to put a door there ... just swap out "ShackExitRightReg01" room peice , with "ShackExitWallReg01"

Then take stuff like "MetalPlank01" and/or "MetalPlank02" ... size them as you like how I mentioned the door previously , To fill in the hole.

barbara belmonte

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:57 am

No good :nope: There's still a beam that clips into the open door. Also the geometry of ShackExitWallReg01 isn't quite right, and leaves a hole in my ceiling.

Looks like I'll have to learn NifSkope now. Wish me luck!

EDIT: Wait! It was just pointed the wrong way. I think I can make it work.

EDIT2: Yup, it works. Thanks! :)

Veronica Flores

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 3:14 pm

Okay, my mod is coming along swimmingly, and I'll be ready to release it soon! But now I need it to check for 1) the house components already purchased, i.e. infirmary, workbench and such (NOT the house themes - those would just mess everything up), and 2) the bobbleheads already found and placed. For the house components, I could just delete the Xmarkers, but I don't want someone using this mod to lose all their bobbleheads.

His Bella

Post » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:39 am

Nice one Mktavish! :) This is where having cell-based interiors shines - you can mix and match without having to mess around with altering models.

laylowmoe76 - To do what you want you will need a script to check to see which of the items/bobbleheads are enabled. There's a function, GetDisabled, to do this - it returns 1 if the reference is disabled, 0 if enabled.

candice keenan

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:25 am

Wasn't it you that showed me how to size peices? On that exterior cell home of mine?

I was pulling my hair out on stuff not fitting right , then you told me that ... It was as if the sky lit up :intergalactic:

And then you showed me your Atrium with mirelurk pets ... that was freaking awesome :goodjob:

Franko AlVarado

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:43 pm

I think that was someone else. I don't have any pet mirelurks! :D

remi lasisi

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:32 pm

Dang! my bad ... who the heck was that?

But anyways ... I know you have instructed me on many points with the geck. Sorry ... there have been just to many learning experiences about the geck on these forums to keep them all straight I guess :user: :banana: :miner:

Fanny Rouyé

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:04 pm

Sigh... my bobblehead stand is busted. When I try to place a new bobblehead on it in-game, I get the "removed from inventory" message but the bobblehead itself doesn't appear on the stand. All I did was move it to a different spot, and yes I made sure to move the stand as well as all 20 activators.

Noraima Vega

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 12:37 pm

You mean X markers? Its sort of expected that its broke with trying to move it.

Better to just start over ... but use the Getdisabled like JW1 mentioned ... if you want to facilitate people who already have some of the bobble heads.

Ash

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 2:53 pm

Whaaat :nope: I don't know what I did wrong, even if I start over I might make the same mistake. Pretty sure I didn't touch any Xmarkers... well, except for the one linked to the pre-war theme.

Lil'.KiiDD

Post » Wed Jan 20, 2016 12:30 am

Thats a common reaction to modding ... your like What???? So then you buckle down and do it more concise.

I really can't say whats up with that ... more likely you can though. Cuz you remember what you did right?

But the clean run would be to match what vanilla did , instead of trying to move it.

Add Edit : Isn't there little tiny X markers for each bobble head ... can't you just move them?

Ashley Hill

Post » Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:54 am

I hate to say it ... but your mod may be to jumbled ... which I'm not saying to trash it ... I'm just trying to get you ready for that possibillity.

Having to trash your work and start over is a common occurence ... I have done it umpteen times.

And I'd say its the next level in modding your going to experience.

Once you realize how easy it is to create certain situations with the Geck. Then throwing away the work you did will be easy ... or vice versa.

However .. there is certainly aspects you definitely want to be hitting the save button. Or more specifically hitting the save button to dump the burden of the temp save. Which the geck does every time you change something ... it stores that change in a temp bubble of memory.

Andrea Pratt

Next

Return to Fallout 3