Daggerfall to Oblivion

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:31 am

Pretty sure its already camp out and when ya click it, with turn to inn, which cost money. Same with the reckless/cautiously.

Rule wise, it is illegal to sleep on the street. Its call Vagrancy. There even a rule book ingame one can buy about this: http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Daggerfall:Legal_Basics. If ya want to wait around, pick the "loiter around" choice.

The ghost screaming "vengeance", that is a main quest plotline. If ya watch the intro movie where the Emperor told ya to find out why the ghost of Daggerfall is shouting, that the ghost itself. Ya have to find out why by investigating; good starting place is the palace.

So, is it red that shows which option is currently selected or green? Also, I need my own ship to be able to fast travel by ship, right?
Gen Daley

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:25 pm

So, is it red that shows which option is currently selected or green? Also, I need my own ship to be able to fast travel by ship, right?

I assume green.

Ya do not need to own a ship to fast travel with ship choice. Using the ship will cost you a bit of money, but if one buys a ship (it cost from 100,000 to 200,000), the travel for using a ship option is free.
gary lee

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:35 pm

I assume green.

Ya do not need to own a ship to fast travel with ship choice. Using the ship will cost you a bit of money, but if one buys a ship (it cost from 100,000 to 200,000), the travel for using a ship option is free.

That makes sense(the green) I assumed it was red, but that explains why it seemed backwards. The ship option doesn't seem to cost me anything.
Jeff Turner

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:32 am

That makes sense(the green) I assumed it was red, but that explains why it seemed backwards. The ship option doesn't seem to cost me anything.

The ship travel involve using the sea to travel. Like port to port. Then it will cost ya gold.
Gavin boyce

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:12 am

The ship travel involve using the sea to travel. Like port to port. Then it will cost ya gold.

So I need to sail to a port for the ship option to do anything for me?

I've never played a creepier game than this. Even the cities are creepy. The music is always creepy, that ghost screaming vengeance is creepy, and the guards are creepy.
KU Fint

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:07 am

So I need to sail to a port for the ship option to do anything for me?

Not really, just anything that involve using a sea counts. Using the ship option dramatically reduce the traveling time when crossing the sea.

I've never played a creepier game than this. Even the cities are creepy. The music is always creepy, that ghost screaming vengeance is creepy, and the guards are creepy.

Lovely atmosphere, ain't it? Ya will get use to it. There also a theme for rain, shine, day, and night.
Suzie Dalziel

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:11 pm

Not really, just anything that involve using a sea counts. Using the ship option dramatically reduce the traveling time when crossing the sea.

Ya will get use to it.

I can now fast travel to Daggerfall city, but I noticed that the gates are locked at night. Perhaps waiting before I travel there is the best solution. This game is definitely very different from Oblivion, and Morrowind. It has a court system? Are there any more surprises I should make sure I know about? Are the guards psychic? I attempt to rest outside the city walls, and then about 4 of those mindless creatures came out of nowhere constantly repeating "halt". It felt like a horror movie.
cassy

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:40 am

Cities close their gates at night. Life's a [censored], ain't it? You can wait, or, climb the walls or levitate over.
To climb, I walk into walls while holding the 'd' button (crouch) on my keyboard.

Not sure if that's the correct way but it works for me, just remember to press the d button again to stop crouching while you climb, or you'll go at a snail's pace.
Do you want a list of controls btw? I remember spotting one online somewhere, I can try and fish it out for you.

You might not want to enter Daggerfall at night w/o a silver weapon or better, it's filled with loads of tough ghosts.
You can rest far away outside (get the town out of view before you rest), or find an inn inside.
The guards are psychic for crimes like vagrancy and sometimes murder, though you can get away with crimes like pickpocketing and burglary if you're good.

The court system is nice, if your etiquette or streetwise skills are high and you've got the right connections, you can lie or debate your way out of situations.

edit: as for surprises, have you had your fatigue bar drop to the bottom yet? If that happens in a dungeon, or with enemies nearby, you die.
Get a horse and cart early on, they help with looting dungeons, and travelling on horseback wont lower stamina.
http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=761&tab=controls, though I have to hold 'page down', then 'page up' to get my guy to swim or levitate upwards, if you have any problems in that area.
Claudz

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:05 pm

Another way to travel is to right click on the map, just to let you know. And yeah, the court system is a really nice touch.

I remember the first tim I went to Daggerfall, I tried to rest, and I was arrested, I lied to the cout and was set free, but the guards beat me up before they sent me out of prison so I only had 1 health point. Through some miracle I managed to kill a ghost outside the gate who was attacking me, then I climbed the wall, but I fell on the way down a broke my neck, had to reload a save deep in privateer's hold.

FML
Emma-Jane Merrin

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:22 pm

Another way to travel is to right click on the map, just to let you know. And yeah, the court system is a really nice touch.

I remember the first tim I went to Daggerfall, I tried to rest, and I was arrested, I lied to the cout and was set free, but the guards beat me up before they sent me out of prison so I only had 1 health point. Through some miracle I managed to kill a ghost outside the gate who was attacking me, then I climbed the wall, but I fell on the way down a broke my neck, had to reload a save deep in privateer's hold.

FML

Wow that game sounds awesome, its a shame so many excellent features are missing from Oblivion. I would download it but i don't think i could get used to the graphics and apparently it features a ridiculous amount of dungeon crawling which i something that i dislike in MW and OB.
Sarah Unwin

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:22 pm

Cities close their gates at night. Life's a [censored], ain't it? You can wait, or, climb the walls or levitate over.
To climb, I walk into walls while holding the 'd' button (crouch) on my keyboard.

Not sure if that's the correct way but it works for me, just remember to press the d button again to stop crouching while you climb, or you'll go at a snail's pace.
Do you want a list of controls btw? I remember spotting one online somewhere, I can try and fish it out for you.

You might not want to enter Daggerfall at night w/o a silver weapon or better, it's filled with loads of tough ghosts.
You can rest far away outside (get the town out of view before you rest), or find an inn inside.
The guards are psychic for crimes like vagrancy and sometimes murder, though you can get away with crimes like pickpocketing and burglary if you're good.

The court system is nice, if your etiquette or streetwise skills are high and you've got the right connections, you can lie or debate your way out of situations.

edit: as for surprises, have you had your fatigue bar drop to the bottom yet? If that happens in a dungeon, or with enemies nearby, you die.
Get a horse and cart early on, they help with looting dungeons, and travelling on horseback wont lower stamina.
http://www.allgame.com/game.php?id=761&tab=controls, though I have to hold 'page down', then 'page up' to get my guy to swim or levitate upwards, if you have any problems in that area.

I just found out I'm allowed to loiter in and around town, so I'm fine now. I thought I couldn't even wait there. What's strange is how creepy it is outside the gates at night, but not creepy during the day and people are actually walking around outside the gates during the day. For role-playing purposes, so you think it is wrong for a noble character who follows the law to climb the walls at night? Also, why is there only one option in Morrowind and Oblivion for waiting instead of three in Daggerfall(waiting[loitering], resting, and resting to be fully healed[can't just fully heal in one hour like you can in Oblivion]) and why can people now rest in Oblivion, inside cities, and be healed in only one hour?

I'm guessing those ghosts are related to the quest involving the ghost of the king who is haunting Daggerfall, right? Are hostile creatures common within cities as part of a quest, or is this a rare case?
Marine x

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:02 am

Also, why is there only one option in Morrowind and Oblivion for waiting instead of three in Daggerfall(waiting[loitering], resting, and resting to be fully healed[can't just fully heal in one hour like you can in Oblivion]) and why can people now rest in Oblivion, inside cities, and be healed in only one hour?

It's just to remove more sharp, jagged edges that Bethesda doesn't want gamers to hurt themselves on. Instead of allowing you to try resting in the city and getting arrested, Morrowind and Oblivion simply make it undoable to save you the trouble of learning the hard way. While at first I was thankful for this as my twitch reflexes from Daggerfall oft had me pressing "Rest" more often than "Loiter" even when in cities, I do kind of miss it - messing up is part of what makes the game so fun.
Marie Maillos

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:53 am

It's just to remove more sharp, jagged edges that Bethesda doesn't want gamers to hurt themselves on. Instead of allowing you to try resting in the city and getting arrested, Morrowind and Oblivion simply make it undoable to save you the trouble of learning the hard way. While at first I was thankful for this as my twitch reflexes from Daggerfall oft had me pressing "Rest" more often than "Loiter" even when in cities, I do kind of miss it - messing up is part of what makes the game so fun.

What happened to the original ideas of TES series? People are trying to tell me it's the graphics, but I doubt it. Graphics don't make a game bad and they don't simplify games. What is it then? What happened to the style of the first two Elder Scrolls games? Is it honestly consoles for Oblivion? I know Morrowind was made with PCs in mind, but it is still dumbed down, even if not due to consoles. Oblivion is more dumbed down, but can that actually be attributed to consoles? I really hope it isn't because I couldn't even play Morrowind or Oblivion if they didn't come out for consoles, but is it due to consoles? Consoles make gaming more affordable(I would buy a decent computer if I could, but I can't), but are they dumbing down the games that I want to be more complex? It is quite unfair then. I can only play on consoles, but they may be limiting the very series I want more complex. Is that what I am trading just to be able to play the game series, variety and depth for the ability to just play the games?
Marnesia Steele

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:51 pm

What happened to the original ideas of TES series? People are trying to tell me it's the graphics, but I doubt it. Graphics don't make a game bad and they don't simplify games. What is it then? What happened to the style of the first two Elder Scrolls games? Is it honestly consoles for Oblivion? I know Morrowind was made with PCs in mind, but it is still dumbed down, even if not due to consoles. Oblivion is more dumbed down, but can that actually be attributed to consoles? I really hope it isn't because I couldn't even play Morrowind or Oblivion if they didn't come out for consoles, but is it due to consoles? Consoles make gaming more affordable(I would buy a decent computer if I could, but I can't), but are they dumbing down the games that I want to be more complex? It is quite unfair then. I can only play on consoles, but they may be limiting the very series I want more complex. Is that what I am trading just to be able to play the game series, variety and depth for the ability to just play the games?

The original ideas for the TES series? They are still there! ES has always been about two things, Freedom to do whatever you want pretty much, and telling an epic story that then fits into the greater scheme of the metaplot contained within the Elder Scrolls. The only thing that has changed about the ES series is the presentation and gameplay. That's it.

And no. The ES games aren't actually being "dumbed down" as everyone wants to believe. They are being made more approachable. You cannot deny that Daggerfall is close to the most unapproachable game ever made. Just getting it to work is a trial by itself. Bethesda is using different technology; smoother and better technology. Granted, Oblivion was a bit of a dissapointment, but not because of anything being dumbed down. It's just that the plot was kinda weak and ignored previously established lore.
willow

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:07 pm

The original ideas for the TES series? They are still there! ES has always been about two things, Freedom to do whatever you want pretty much, and telling an epic story that then fits into the greater scheme of the metaplot contained within the Elder Scrolls. The only thing that has changed about the ES series is the presentation and gameplay. That's it.

And no. The ES games aren't actually being "dumbed down" as everyone wants to believe. They are being made more approachable. You cannot deny that Daggerfall is close to the most unapproachable game ever made. Just getting it to work is a trial by itself. Bethesda is using different technology; smoother and better technology. Granted, Oblivion was a bit of a dissapointment, but not because of anything being dumbed down. It's just that the plot was kinda weak and ignored previously established lore.

Eh I disagree with a lot of things you stated especially about the part with TES telling "an epic story" in each game and the games not being dumbed down with each successor .

Oblivion did the two things you mentioned but it also continued to dumb the series down with removing skills, making the combat revolve around the player and not the character we make, allowed for freedom that didnt make sense(joining all the factions even if your character isnt focused on the skills needed), and leveled loot and enemies that made dungeon crawling almost meaningless.

The developers seemed to have realized this though I don't see why anyone would say that the last ES game didn't suffer from this.
Eduardo Rosas

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:18 am

Oblivion was dumbed down. I love that game and I have always strongly defended it, but it is dumbed down. The original ideas for the Elder Scrolls series are going away. The story wasn't good in Oblivion and the freedom is limited by the grouping together of skills and the lack of variey of items, as well as not being able to combine clothes and armor. Level-scaling is a form of dumbing down. A quest marker would be okay if one collected information first, but somehow, the character is just psychic. I don't want an Elder Scrolls game to be incredibly difficult, but TES series is dumbed down, starting with Morrowind. Now there are no seasons, no holidays, no court system, less lore, less variety of items, level-scaling, and inexplicable quest markers. Some of these thing are true for Morrowind, all are true for Oblivion. The games are being dumbed down. If Oblivion had no level-scaling, had more lore, had a court system, had seasons, had holidays, had more item variety, had more armor and clothing slots, had capes, allowed me to combine clothes and armor, was more based on character skill, and at least required a person to get information before a quest marker appears, I would love my favorite game even more.
Cartoon

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:15 am

I know Morrowind was made with PCs in mind, but it is still dumbed down, even if not due to consoles. Oblivion is more dumbed down...

I wouldn't say Morrowind was dumbed down. Yes, there's less skills, less factions, and dungeons are less intense. But in exchange, players were given an open, persistent world, with a then (and still) mind-numbingly fine attention to little details. Morrowind's locations aren't as generic as Daggerfall's, but to this day I still find interesting little things in the vanilla game that I had not the last time I played. Many will say Morrowind was not a step forward or a step backward, but a step to the side. Daggerfall praised complexity and an open-ended world. Morrowind had a bit less complexity but still provided a fairly large playing area, with new unparalleled levels of detail and lore. I always find myself roleplaying the most with Daggerfall, but Morrowind definitely set a new standard in the series for as far as how immersive the world around you is. It was a fair tradeoff.

Oblivion didn't do any of that. It continued Morrowind's path of skill and gameplay cuts, but nothing of worthy value was given back in return. We got some oversensitive physics, hideous FaceGen technology, traps, and Patrick Stewart. It wasn't worth it the way it was when Morrowind was released. That's the problem.

...but can that actually be attributed to consoles?

I think the main difference is in the changing developer teams. The Daggerfall team was by far the most dedicated and ambitious of all - they had so many great ideas that didn't make it into the final game, but their goal to achieve the ultimate open-ended freeform world still produced some very nice results. With each game, it just feels as if the developers are becoming less and less daring, less and less willing to dream. Remember that Bethesda is now a large company and they have publishers breathing down their necks, much moreso than back in 1996. They probably want to play it safe now...
Vera Maslar

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:34 pm

Also, I like Daggerfall, but I've found a problem with it. The draw distance is horrible. Is there a way to increase the draw distance?
Kim Bradley

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 2:46 am

I wouldn't say Morrowind was dumbed down. Yes, there's less skills, less factions, and dungeons are less intense. But in exchange, players were given an open, persistent world, with a then (and still) mind-numbingly fine attention to little details. Morrowind's locations aren't as generic as Daggerfall's, but to this day I still find interesting little things in the vanilla game that I had not the last time I played. Many will say Morrowind was not a step forward or a step backward, but a step to the side. Daggerfall praised complexity and an open-ended world. Morrowind had a bit less complexity but still provided a fairly large playing area, with new unparalleled levels of detail and lore. I always find myself roleplaying the most with Daggerfall, but Morrowind definitely set a new standard in the series for as far as how immersive the world around you is. It was a fair tradeoff.

Oblivion didn't do any of that. It continued Morrowind's path of skill and gameplay cuts, but nothing of worthy value was given back in return. We got some oversensitive physics, hideous FaceGen technology, traps, and Patrick Stewart. It wasn't worth it the way it was when Morrowind was released. That's the problem.

I think the main difference is in the changing developer teams. The Daggerfall team was by far the most dedicated and ambitious of all - they had so many great ideas that didn't make it into the final game, but their goal to achieve the ultimate open-ended freeform world still produced some very nice results. With each game, it just feels as if the developers are becoming less and less daring, less and less willing to dream. Remember that Bethesda is now a large company and they have publishers breathing down their necks, much moreso than back in 1996. They probably want to play it safe now...

I actually hate Daggerfall's dungeons. They are too big, maze-like, and boring.
kevin ball

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:48 am

I actually hate Daggerfall's dungeons. They are too big, maze-like, and boring.

Not to mention they defy the laws of physics.
Inol Wakhid

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:11 am

Also, is there a way for the game to have Morrowind's music playing instead of Daggerfall's? If there are any mods, could any help with the draw distance and soundtrack problem? I don't like Daggerfall's soundtrack.
Chad Holloway

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:30 am

Also, is there a way for the game to have Morrowind's music playing instead of Daggerfall's? If there are any mods, could any help with the draw distance and soundtrack problem? I don't like Daggerfall's soundtrack.

I would move these questions to Past Games. They would be answered better there.
Wayne Cole

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:39 am

Personally, I don't get as worked up about the loss of skills from Daggerfall to Morrowind to Oblivion... I see it mostly as "Cutting out the Garbage". While we all miss the "Climb" skill, it had to be cut for pretty obvious reasons. In Daggerfall, in order to represent climbing, all the dev's had to do is move the player "Up" when the limiting 1st person camera pressed against any of the walls... Of course, with a better physics engine to give more "environmental awareness" such as surface qualities, I hope the dev team can eventually reinstate the climbing ability and have it look good even in 3rd-person.

But honestly, a lot of the Daggerfall skills were worthless... The languages and Medical come to mind immediately. The "Enchant" skill from Morrowind was also likewise worthless as a skill, and the loss of Unarmored Damage Reduction isn't really a bad thing either (Though a "Dodge" skill would have been much appreciated!). Honestly, the merging of Axe and Blunt skills weren't off-base either... Daggerfall's "Critical Striking" was too good, supposed to allow weaker classes to occasionally spike their damage with sub-par weaponry, but it also allowed Fighter-types to augment their already-high damage. Daggerfall's Perk/Drawback system, while certainly nice, was also very abusable.

Honestly, I think Oblivion was very much an attempt to go back to Daggerfall's roots, but much was lost in the process...
dean Cutler

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:11 pm

I personally think they should have left a lot of the skills in there for roleplaying purposes no matter how useless someone might think it might be.

"Honestly, I think Oblivion was very much an attempt to go back to Daggerfall's roots, but much was lost in the process... "

:rofl:
lucile davignon

Post » Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:40 am

Uhh, you do realize that Morrowind uses MP3 tracks and Daggerfall uses MIDIs, right? There's a program (http://www.dfworkshop.net/) which can extract Daggerfall's music, but even if you were to manage MIDI de-makes of Morrowind's music, I don't think there's a way to get them into the game. Besides, Daggerfall's music is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZ97I2p4_YY.
Taylor Thompson

PreviousNext

Return to The Elder Scrolls Series Discussion