Fallout 4 Speculation, Suggestions and Ideas #232

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:31 pm

Sounds wacky, hardly original but I like it. Original is but a word, fitting is what Fallout needs. You simply can't reinvent the wheel in many cases.

Still waiting for the pm though.

Do you design them literally (concept art)?

Russell Davies

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:53 pm

This is an RPG it should be based on the characters skills and experience using said weapons. QTE do not make it better all it does is make so the people with quick reflexes never have to worry about the consequences of not using a weapon they are skilled with. The chance would be very low of a critical failure and likely the failure would then be less at that point. Also Luck would play a factor then. Right now Luck does not play that much of a roll in the game.

Miss K

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:25 pm

Never played Force Unleashed, and I guess you mean quick time events? no, those are carps.

>Something that isn't real has no effect in-game

Good?

Steve Fallon

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:10 pm

Well that is why I posted as that was least original. The doctors and scientists who are trying to perfect cybernetics are one of the three factions I created, and I developed quests for them as well, and in doing so created uses for skills. For example, the doctors are clients of slavers, who sell them people for the experiments. So, you can join slavers and bring them slaves, or you can go on organ collection missions. With proper medical skills you can subdue and then remove organs from the living to return to the docs. With high enough medical and science skills you can improve upon designs. Organ removal becomes easier if you have Mr Sandman perk.

Likewise you can have them turn a companion into a construct, giving you a now altered grotesque companion.

Work with them long enough and they perfect their experiments and you can gain some implants/cybernetics.

They also can use ghouls, so some of the constructs instead of having human parts are part ghoul, or ghouls with robotic parts.
Isabella X

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:48 am

You do it right. When you have something in the game, have it be part of the world as a whole. Make it meaningful.

It also shows how much you can actually get out of old unoriginal concepts.

I mean Kill Bill is a favourite of mine and the story's impetus (REVENGE) is as old as stories themselves.

Would you come down another step and give me insight on the (in your opinion) better, more original ideas of yours? One of them?

What I'm always after is a good idea for a faction that in itself represents large parts of society in the game, something that has achieved grandness such as the Pitt or NCR (both not really original but well executed).

Miss K

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:00 am

Nope. I post a separate new additions post whenever I edit stuff into it.
Steeeph

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:02 pm

It might be a neat idea to have tagged disabily skills.

Let's say you tag three skills that will get an initial boost and a bonus in raising the skills points later. (as we currently have)

You must also have to tag three skill that will get an initial nerf, and a malus in raising the skills points later.

It makes sense that for each advantage, you must have a flaw.

Antonio Gigliotta

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:42 am

The flaw is that you to choose between 13 skills. 3 get an advantage, no more. Therein lies the choice.

Elle H

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:16 am

Maybe we will have more skills than 13

Rachael

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:13 am

I wouldn't count on it. Bethesda has been cutting skills in every game they have made since Daggerfall in 1996. I wish you were right. But the chances that they will reverse a trend that has been in effect for nearly twenty years is pretty slim.

Sandeep Khatkar

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 6:34 am

One thing I'd like to have that is comfortable: Give us the opportunity to mark multiple locations permanently on the map.

Say I find this nice safe or firewalled terminal - but lack the skill to crack them. Now maybe I will invest more into Lockpick in the future (yeah, these points would lack elsewhere of course, that's good game design), so I want to remember that place. Of course I could simply write that one down, but seriously? Why do you think the transition from pen&paper to video game rpg even happened? Let me mark that stuff, preferably with eligible color codings or symbols for the mark (so that I can have my own code on what means what).

And it's important that the player can do it - or can't. If you simply highlight each and every important location for me by default, I feel nagged. Remember the interaction!

Albert Wesker

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 2:06 pm

I think this would be a good idea and it would also be useful to mark locations (giving the link locations a name as well) that the player uses to store things in or as a base.

(G-yen)

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 10:55 am

Well another faction I made was a mutant group, I just undecided in how I wanted to implement.

Remember the mysterious green sludge in FO2, the toxic caves, which causes damage but also can grow another toe on the Chosen One?

Well, my options for this mutant group is people who have been mutated by something similar to this green sludge. They have additional growths, some have 3 arms some 4, others have 4 legs, 2 heads, etc. They also still reproduce, so their offspring are obviously mutants at birth.

Other option is Wild FEV + radiation created these mutants. I lean more toward green sludge, not because I dislike Wild FEV, but it could possibly create lore issues as in why this not appear before, so I would need a reasoning for a unique wild FEV event, so I like green sludge idea more.

I'm also undecided if I ally with MLA as I was considering placing them in the region as well. That more or less a work in progress, but that adds even additional npc types and a faction to ally or kill off.
Phoenix Draven

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:13 pm

A -> B -> C that's always the case with story concepts. The hard part is the conversion of this system into an interactive gaming experience.

You should try it with MLA (seems you have already decided on that particular ending - which I regard the most interesting outcome of Tactics). If they're in the region, they will deal with them. MLA is at war and will welcome any support. While your mutants would be rendered abominations by the MWBoS regime. The stage is already set unless there are factors unknown to me. A -> B -> C. Go with it!

Regarding the concept as a whole, I don't think it was a special characteristic of a particular green goo. The goo is toxic radioactive waste basically, so the mutations would be radiation induced. It would probably be best to have an additional factor in the explanation. They reproduce, so it could be a genetic predisposition to keep it simple.

Emily Graham

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:05 am

I can't help but picture the sewer mutants from Futurama when you mention mutants with multiple arms and such. There's even glowing green goo in one episode that mutates people.

So I would go with the Wild FEV added with radiation and not the green sludge.

Mutant Liberation Army :mohawk:

john page

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 5:40 pm

I don't believe the toxic green goo is radioactive in FO2 Toxic Caves as I don't believe it increases your radiation level. It also causes damage, so it fairly unique in effects.

It COULD be some kind of toxic waste that was altered by Wild FEV, or at one time effected by radiatiom and no longer radioactive, but can still mutate. Whatever I decide upon, even jf the green sludge was once radioactive, it isn't anymore yet still causes mutation.

Also, while I agree with MLA ending my ending from Tactics is a hybrid, so I have a walking talking Barnaky. However, there are no BoS in my Detroit area based game. At least, not a faction of them. I not opposed to a small outpost of them.

The players adoptive parents, however, are two BoS women, a paladin and scribe who are the sole two BoS I had planned and part of the intro town where they live and help protect.

@Styles I'm not opposed to Wild FEV, I just need a unique event that caused this mutation, because it is something never seen and confined to this area.
Miguel

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:07 pm

I took it for radioactive waste. I think it was intended as such with the golden geckos going on. But it's your decision, there's no definitive answer. I feel it further complicates the situation though.

Nice to see that you apparently have a whole lot going on with your story in Detroit. Weave it all together, I'm sure it'll be interesting, especially since you have it planned out as a game.

Also good to know I'm not the only one pointlessly creating possible Fallout scenarios in my spare time. Problem is my version of the Commonwealth will likely be shattered if Bethesda indeed has their game set in Boston (well, nothing is set but Boston seems more likely to me than Detroit, considering gamesas likes to foreshadow future events).

Well, I did post some of the stuff in hoping Bethesda would indeed steal it.

Josephine Gowing

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:57 pm

Maybe the stuff was some kind of medical experiment. An experiment in cancer fighting and cell regeneration. Working with Bio Med Gel and Nuclear Medicine and throw in some animal DNA research for good measure. What was produced was the Green Sludge in the Toxic caves.

The goal was to cure cancer, restore damaged organs and possibly regrow limbs all in one shot. But the products created in the process of development was to dangerous to just dump, even for biohazardous waste facilities. So the company created places like the Toxic caves to dump their waste.

Love iz not

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:39 am

Would open up many new possibilities if the word got out. I remember PoS's storyline where Attis' army tried to find a cure for mutant sterility in old world research.

It would however also come with another pre-war device whose shadow reaches into the post-war era and thus shift the focus (at least partially) to the old world. Old world stuff is heavy, because it has a tendency to either influence the entire setting, or remain extremely local and thus give the impression that the great war came just at the right time to end the world before it would have radically changed. I don't know if I like that.

I'd prefer a genetic predisposition. It keeps things simple, requires no additional info and doesn't come with any consequences to the rest of the world. And it makes sense, given that populations got isolated after the war.

butterfly

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 8:07 pm

Another critter I created was the "radioactive zombie" which really isn't a zombie.

Basically, there is mutated critter which feeds on and re-animates a dead body. For a working title I just calling it a Burrower for now. This corpse just keeps on coming after you, blow off legs it crawls, etc. Only way to permanently keep it down is via fire or vaporized from energy weapons.

Eventually the burrower body becomes useless so it seeks out new bodies or victims for nourishment.

I was super proud of this one, and then I remembered the movie slither, but I dun care. I like it.
Tania Bunic

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:52 pm

Your ideas have a tendency of being extremely creepy. Failed cyborg experiments, multiple limb mutants, burrowers. Sends a shiver down my spine.

brian adkins

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 11:44 am

I ignore all of PoS. But Fallout Tactics had a group of Super Mutants working on a Cure. Fallout even mentions that the Master's people were working on curing the sterility problem.

"Presently, there is a slight . . . problem in the reproductive process. It's being attended to. For now, we must use the Vats to turn humans into Super Mutants. You'll experience that glory yourself momentarily." - Lieutenant.

So the idea of a "cure" was planted back in Fallout One itself. Doesn't mean they will find one however but it was there. I would like to think the research continued in Fallout Tactics and that research is in the hands of the Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel. Locked in some bunker somewhere. In which the Mutant Liberation Army is trying to find.

Also lets not over look that in the Fallout Universe companies and even the United States government had no problem dumping radioactive waste anywhere they wanted. So why not medical waste?

X(S.a.R.a.H)X

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 1:08 pm

The idea is perfectly fine in and of itself. I wouldn't want the supermutants to actually find a cure, but the search is a motivation.

One thing that could be expanded upon a little (maybe interwoven with the 'Great Game' from Point Lookout) is the fact that FEV was actually widely known (the existence, not the formula) through a leak in 2077. Yes, people knew about the super soldier virus. And it caused massive public upheaval.

Imy Davies

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 3:26 pm

Well I was GM for a Gurps Horror campaign for over 6 years, so when I create monsters it is generally heavily influenced by that.

Also, I am writing this out as both a novel or novella and at same time doing side notes of "if this was a game" or if this was "fallout". I can easily omit anything Fallout related and just make my own post apoc story, or try to submit this as a FO project.

So the intro of story or game is parents are killed by "raiders". Mother hides baby. BoS patrol comes through and Paladin finds baby. She and her wife settle in town east of Chicago near Michigan border. In FO this town was created with GECK assistance. This is only BoS presence in game. You grow up in this town, do some quests around town etc. Eventually as you grow up, town decides they want to branch out and open up trade to the east. Your adoptive parents view this as good time for you to leave the nest so to speak and make your own mark. So, you pick out of several expeditions that are heading east. First major choice as who you pick will impact later events.

Or..the real kicker, you can decide not to go at all and instead forge a destiny in the town which opens up new town quests and an alternative ending that would happen in only a couple hours of gameplay.

Either way when game starts there is no real main quest. That is to be discovered later.
Nims

Post » Tue Sep 22, 2015 9:48 am

I agree that a cure shouldn't be found. Same for ghouls. But knowing research was being done by the Master's people and it continued for sometime after it would be a great motivation for a group of mutants that can't reproduce and therefore dying out. Dying out much faster if they are in a war with the Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel. It would be almost Mythical to them but something that gives them hope for the future of their kind.

I don't like the idea of FEV being known about. That also opens the door to more people trying to have their own FEV projects and so on.

Not sure what you mean by massive public upheaval. There were many reasons for civil unrest in America. Such as food and resource shortages as well as workers being replaced by robots.

Also evlbastrd, what do you think of the idea I posted about the Green Sludge being medical research waste?

Edit: General Garbage your avatar is still messing with my brain :tongue:

Charles Weber

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout Series Discussion