[WIPz] FO3 Phalanx

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:53 pm

It's probably the master update thing. Didn't think about that.

Ah cool... well if that's it, I'll know what to tell others when I get this report (and I know I'll see the report again, if that's what this is about. I get enough complaints about K-9 being invisible so I figure this will be another one of those things).
Assumptah George

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:54 pm

Yeah I remember that happened to me too.

Hey, I had an idea for followers. What if you could train them with books? And if they had a better science/lockpick/repair than you, they could help by opening/repairing stuff you can't. I can imagine how f'ing complicated that would be, so that's more of a pipe dream than an actual suggestion.

Also, now that you've got the 1.5 issues under control, when are we going to see that Military Base?
Katie Samuel

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:23 pm

Yeah I remember that happened to me too.

Hey, I had an idea for followers. What if you could train them with books? And if they had a better science/lockpick/repair than you, they could help by opening/repairing stuff you can't. I can imagine how f'ing complicated that would be, so that's more of a pipe dream than an actual suggestion.

It's doable of course but I don't like what that does to the game balance wise. It's like a non-skill if you can train a follower in it and be done with it. It's different from the weapons skills which often the player will not be considering his followers' skillsets for. I think it devalues those support-type skillsl greatly to have them be offloaded onto followers so I haven't considered it.

Also, now that you've got the 1.5 issues under control, when are we going to see that Military Base?

After I finished the Broken Steel Integration .esp, I had shifted gears a bit and had been working on a broken-steel version of MMM - Increased Spawns, as well as an update for Gahad's "Foes Reworked" mod (which has not seen any development attention from anyone since I think, December). And, I've been spending quite some time in-game because of needing to play the game and see how the changes work out.

I'll probably release the new Foes Reworked beta soon, and also that MMM - Increased Spawns variant after Martin has seen it. After that I'd like to figure out which way to take my PQ01 quest w/base thingie. Planning PQ01 to work properly with both Broken Steel and Free-Play-After-MQ should be doable (I was worried before but I think it's alright). But I still have to pick and make just what I want for it, and the exact quest entry for PQ01 is currently not a good match for the broken steel storyline.

On the base: I have to redo the intercom system again, now it's the 4th or 5th time for this, since the areas will live in .esm files now as 3 cells and the navmesh insanity won't exist. I may also be looking into using a different world area whereas I wasn't doing that before. I honestly do not know how long it will take, sigh :/

Some things, btw:

Bethesda used a defunct car tunnel at the west edge of the map for one of Broken Steel's quest entry points. That's what I had intended to do as well!!!!

The Broken Steel military base looks MUCH more like an actual base sort of thing than what I initially made. That got me thinking, becaus I had always wanted to make an exterior world area for the Phalanx Headquarters that was mildly more base-like, or at least town-like, than I have now. So I might mess with that.

Any additional messing, of course, extends the release date. bleh.
Kelvin Diaz

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:52 pm

A minor bug report, it seems that issuing the "Wait here, I'm going in" command when issued to K9, doesn't apply to Malcolm, he followed me just the same.

Also, a question, if I give Phalax companions vanilla weapons modified by the Weapon Mod Kits mod, would they still be able to use the distance based script?
Chris Jones

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:16 pm

A minor bug report, it seems that issuing the "Wait here, I'm going in" command when issued to K9, doesn't apply to Malcolm, he followed me just the same.

I don't see how this behavior is possible in the normal functioning of the .esp unless Malcolm's Hired variable is screwed (but if it's screwed, he walks away). Have you run FO3MasterUpdate against your files?

Also, a question, if I give Phalax companions vanilla weapons modified by the Weapon Mod Kits mod, would they still be able to use the distance based script?

I looked at that mod on nexus and I can't tell from its description; you'd need to try it and see how it goes.
roxxii lenaghan

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:29 pm

Well, maybe (not saying you want your post-Main Quest Antics to completely rely on Broken Steel) but maybe you could just make a quest occupying that area.

I can toss around some ideas, if you like.

Say you basically clear out the enclave, you hire some scribes to install intercoms, and build a shanty town outside the base for each of your comrades, and make each shack interior unique to the follower (butch would have a vault theme and a jukebox, Fawkes would have a kind of library and a Terminal with some World History, Charon would just basically have a live in armory, etc)

That's all I've got right now.
Penny Courture

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:23 pm

Well, maybe (not saying you want your post-Main Quest Antics to completely rely on Broken Steel) but maybe you could just make a quest occupying that area.

I can toss around some ideas, if you like.

Say you basically clear out the enclave, you hire some scribes to install intercoms, and build a shanty town outside the base for each of your comrades, and make each shack interior unique to the follower (butch would have a vault theme and a jukebox, Fawkes would have a kind of library and a Terminal with some World History, Charon would just basically have a live in armory, etc)

That's all I've got right now.

The core area of the base where you and the followers would essentially reside is sorta already built... do coc aaphalanxbunkerinterior to see the single cell version of it. Just make followers wait instead of dragging them in, there's no working door etc. And the coc will probably put you into the void so do tcl to manuver into the cell. And don't keep a save where you have visited the place, you're probably setting off some triggers that I need to use when you get in there after real release.
Allison C

Post » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:34 am

I don't see how this behavior is possible in the normal functioning of the .esp unless Malcolm's Hired variable is screwed (but if it's screwed, he walks away). Have you run FO3MasterUpdate against your files?

Hmm, I'm using Fake patch, so I've not run FO3MasterUpdate. I had the impression if I used Fake Patch FO3MasterUpdate wasn't really needed. Anyway, using the same command while talking to Malcolm or Deisha works normally. As for the WMK weapons, I'll try it out :D
REVLUTIN

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:35 pm

Hmm, I'm using Fake patch, so I've not run FO3MasterUpdate. I had the impression if I used Fake Patch FO3MasterUpdate wasn't really needed.

It's a different function - - - FO3MasterUpdate causes MainFollowerModule to be represented as an .esm. None of Phalanx's navmesh changes will work right, for one, without it... It's most particularly important if you are running exe version 1.5 though, admittedly.

Anyway, using the same command while talking to Malcolm or Deisha works normally. As for the WMK weapons, I'll try it out :D

The thing about that is - - - That's actually a single command. Literally the SAME one. It's one dialogue topic with a string of OR conditions on it. If its Malcolm OR if it's Deisha OR if it's K-9 OR if it's Charon...etc. So you see where this is hard for me to figure out what's breaking with it, so I wonder if the difference is FO3MasterUpdate.
Budgie

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:17 pm

Oh by the way I love your mod, Tarrent. Please keep updating it so it may one day upgrade from super awesome to OH GOD IT'S FULL OF STARS.
Alisia Lisha

Post » Tue Sep 08, 2009 12:57 am

Oh by the way I love your mod, Tarrent. Please keep updating it so it may one day upgrade from super awesome to OH GOD IT'S FULL OF STARS.

aw hehe =p
Eliza Potter

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 12:48 pm

I look forward to Fawkes killing foes with a Tesla Cannon very soon.
TASTY TRACY

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:05 pm

Hey mate.
Few quick requests.
Be able to change malcom(or any other companions) default armour?
Be able to set a new resting spot( i use The Settler and i would love for them to wind up back there).
And a new setting that will only let them attack if i get hit... Sort of hold fire until hit thing...

Other than that... This is gold.

Oh 1 possible bug.
There is no more option to disable the "Disable the Followers Disabling" Thing on gary.
GPMG

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 6:00 pm

Hey mate.
Few quick requests.
Be able to change malcom(or any other companions) default armour?
Be able to set a new resting spot( i use The Settler and i would love for them to wind up back there).
And a new setting that will only let them attack if i get hit... Sort of hold fire until hit thing...

Other than that... This is gold.

Oh 1 possible bug.
There is no more option to disable the "Disable the Followers Disabling" Thing on gary.

Some of these things already exist...

-- Change default armor can't be done properly without a big big chunk of work that isn't worth it. As its set now, it's defined in the base definition of the follower and I did it that way for other reasons. You can of course give them new armor which they often will choose over their old.

-- Gary can cause followers to "Take a break" at any location you ask although I do not know if they will try to follow you when you leave the area, you'd have to try it. It's not possible to make them dismiss absolutely anywhere though, dismissal is location-specific and must be a known location to mainfollowermodule.

-- The battle plan "follow me but stay back" causes them to not engage in combat until something is onto you. This behavior is extremely unnatural for them, and that's part of why this is set up so that they stay far away from you while they are like that.

-- disable-the-followers-disabling doesn't work that way any more. The whole death system had to be rewritten for the 1.5 executable. You should see two other options on gary, one for setting them all essential (which should bypass all that stuff) and another for removing the death controls entirely, allowing them to really drop dead and stay dead. Essential is overpowered however, causing auto-healing after combat and sometimes during it. Your choice on that one, but if that doesn't work to bypass the whole death and disabling system, let me know.
Invasion's

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 1:26 pm

Some of these things already exist...

-- Change default armor can't be done properly without a big big chunk of work that isn't worth it. As its set now, it's defined in the base definition of the follower and I did it that way for other reasons. You can of course give them new armor which they often will choose over their old.

-- Gary can cause followers to "Take a break" at any location you ask although I do not know if they will try to follow you when you leave the area, you'd have to try it. It's not possible to make them dismiss absolutely anywhere though, dismissal is location-specific and must be a known location to mainfollowermodule.

-- The battle plan "follow me but stay back" causes them to not engage in combat until something is onto you. This behavior is extremely unnatural for them, and that's part of why this is set up so that they stay far away from you while they are like that.

-- disable-the-followers-disabling doesn't work that way any more. The whole death system had to be rewritten for the 1.5 executable. You should see two other options on gary, one for setting them all essential (which should bypass all that stuff) and another for removing the death controls entirely, allowing them to really drop dead and stay dead. Essential is overpowered however, causing auto-healing after combat and sometimes during it. Your choice on that one, but if that doesn't work to bypass the whole death and disabling system, let me know.

- Fair enough

- Sorry i mean the whole, if they go down in battle, they moap about.

- Able to set that as a default insted of telling them that all the time?

-Fair enough:D
CRuzIta LUVz grlz

Post » Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:38 am

- Fair enough

- Sorry i mean the whole, if they go down in battle, they moap about.

- Able to set that as a default insted of telling them that all the time?

-Fair enough:D

After you use a battle plan once, you can get to it again quickly because it will now be available in the top level of the group commands. It will be removed from that easy-select location when you pick the option for "We're done with pre-planned battle tactics for now". It's not possible to run with them in that mode all the time. They are completely screwed in the head when they are in that mode, is the case, and their vocalizations and idle animations are inappropriate. They will let each other die like that and be completely disfunctional.

If you want the whole disabled thing to not be happening you will want to use Gary's option to set them essential and see how it goes. That mode hasn't had a ton of testing, is the case, but I think it works? heh.
Minako

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:31 pm

No worries mate.
Just woke up.

Ill test it out after I get back from work.
If there is anything else you need tested just give us a shout, and I will give it a go:D
gary lee

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:56 pm

Phalanx can of course be used well with many mods that increase the difficulty of the game.

I still came up with my own difficulty-increasing mod. This mod was made by a guy named "Gahan" and I modified it. It focuses on increasing enemy DPS while only using MMM Increased Spawns (and not increased-increased spawns) to provide enough challenge. Super Mutants in particular can be quite hard to deal with, or impossible if you confront the wrong group of them inappropriately. It's RELz thread is at http://www.gamesas.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=997760 .

I've never used a stim-reducing, money-reducing, resource-reducing mod, and this new .esp is not designed for that. It's meant for you to do your best in making you and your squad be strong because the enemies are going to slaughter you otherwise.
Dustin Brown

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 8:08 pm

With Foes Reworked at a point where I can let it go for a bit, here's what I'm thinking to do for version 0.97 of mainline Phalanx -

- - Give Fawkes proper access to all lore consistant weapons (sans power fist which is a no go) via TalkieToaster's animations, and add those animation files to the download. Plasma rifle, laser rifle, flamers, FAT MAN, HAHAHA!.

- - Update the Broken Steel list on FawkesWeapons so that Fawkes can use a tesla cannon/heavy incinerator/tribarrel/new flamers/etc.

- - at least briefly retest Fawkes with all these weapons (should be just fine, the foesreworked mutants are fine).

- - Make the player able to apply at least some meds to followers if possible (including fire ant stuff).

- - Redo Moira Supply Support as a vendor overhaul and fix the reload box implementation.

- - Implement WAIT as a battle plan, consider both a standing and a sneakstate wait (or a complete hide, which is possible via ambush package, mostly eyecandy probably, donno but maybe is superior for certain stuff)

- - Try to figure out better stimpack activation onto followers by the player that properly considers player's level and medicine skill.

- - Maybe examine RETREAT and see if it's working as best as it can (I have suspicions). Also make sure that followers who die get dropped out of the retreat so that the variable doesn't get stuck, SOMETHING like that is happening, which can make the fall back/retreat commands unissuable temporarily.

- - Why does Charon's health report not update when you stim him?

Stuff that's already fixed in dev: Jericho was not reporting health in the group command for it, removed Underworld change that messed up underworld for some people.
Joey Avelar

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:02 pm

tarrant, i've seen you, in the past, refer to yourself as a newbie at this scripting/programming stuff.

But let me just say, as a professional developer (in a different genre than games) that you very much so have a talent and the mindset for it.
Brian Newman

Post » Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:10 am

tarrant, i've seen you, in the past, refer to yourself as a newbie at this scripting/programming stuff.

But let me just say, as a professional developer (in a different genre than games) that you very much so have a talent and the mindset for it.

aww... thx :> :> *

* Professionally I do Perl coding now and then. I had never seen oblivion type scripting or oblivion type game development before I opened the GECK last December. I started coding in basic when I was 12, then did some assembler when I was around 15 (the commodore's interpreter was too slow to render my little video game thingie). Went to a screwed up 2 year school and learned completely outdated programming languages (omg, RPG? Cobol? Fortran? I think they fired the guy who ran that place after I graduated, an ancient old fart and his wife).
JLG

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 9:45 pm

Nothing wrong with cobol or fotran:D.

A another request:D.
Using FOSE, bind keys to group commands, "Come to me if you need supplies", "wait here, move into battle if im under attack".

They would be great:D
-__^

Post » Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:23 am

Nothing wrong with cobol or fotran:D.

A another request:D.
Using FOSE, bind keys to group commands, "Come to me if you need supplies", "wait here, move into battle if im under attack".

They would be great:D

I just finished putting together one hell of a followers - wait - HIDE - special battle plan.

This command is such that you tell them to hide and not come out "unless they have to", and they do just that. With the settings I have in the package, you have to drag enemies almost on top of them to get them to break out of it.

I'd had no idea how solid the control was in an ambush package until I tried it. This will make SO many people happy (heh). It's a true WAIT AND DON'T INTERFERE and DON'T WANDER AWAY sort of deal.

I made a video a bit ago, I'll up it to youtube when it's done being compressed.

I have an additional battle-plan-wait coming as well, I'm hoping to make this one be to where they will try to hold position but instead of hiding from targets, they will be willing to attack them from where they stand, without pushing forward. We'll see how that one goes, it may be hard, assuming it's even possible. But this new hide one, I didn't expect it to go quite so well.

edit: Phalanx doesn't use FOSE but you could always make a plugin if you wanted, and master it to mainfollowermodule.
Jeff Tingler

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 2:18 pm

How difficult would that be?
Never seen any of fo3's code.
jennie xhx

Post » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:41 pm

How difficult would that be?
Never seen any of fo3's code.

I don't know.. I've never used any of FOSE's code.
If you are completely new to it all tho... I'm not sure how well it would go for you :/
quinnnn

PreviousNext

Return to Fallout 3